Age limits for BJJ Comps?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Martial Arts have been a hobby of mine for about fifteen years, mainly Thai Boxing and Kali. I'm considering taking up BJJ, with the aim of eventually competing. However, I'm 48, and it will be at least six months before I can compete at even the lowest level. Do most BJJ tournaments allow guys of my age to compete?

Thanks.

All the ones i've seen locally shouldn't be a problem.

Good to know. Thanks for replying.

PS: love the Av:icon_chee

No problem and thanks.

Make sure to contact promotor first but unless it's an invitational, I never seen anyone turned down to grapple.

No problem and thanks.

Make sure to contact promotor first but unless it's an invitational, I never seen anyone turned down to grapple.

Yeah, I'll make sure I check before I actually sign up. Looking forward to a new challenge.:cool:

Martial Arts have been a hobby of mine for about fifteen years, mainly Thai Boxing and Kali. I'm considering taking up BJJ, with the aim of eventually competing. However, I'm 48, and it will be at least six months before I can compete at even the lowest level. Do most BJJ tournaments allow guys of my age to compete?

Thanks.

You won't be turned down. I'm a bit older and have never had a problem. Depending on the size of the tournament, the age groups may not be too granular. For instance, in small tournaments everyone over 40 years old may be grouped together, or you may be given the choice of wrestling folks your age or folks in your weight class. I am a newer blue belt after 2 years at age 46 and do tournaments often. Don't sell yourself short.

You won't be turned down. I'm a bit older and have never had a problem. Depending on the size of the tournament, the age groups may not be too granular. For instance, in small tournaments everyone over 40 years old may be grouped together, or you may be given the choice of wrestling folks your age or folks in your weight class. I am a newer blue belt after 2 years at age 46 and do tournaments often. Don't sell yourself short.

Thanks for the reply. I'm coming off a long break in training and looking forward to challenging myself again. Nice to know I will eventually be allowed to compete.:cool:

Damn, old timer!

How long were you away from Thai boxing?

Youngsters these days - no damn manners!:icon_chee

I haven't trained in about three months.

Did you find Kali useful?

And 48 isn't old for BJJ. I'm assuming you're already in good shape from MT

I'm 39 and entering my first tournament in a couple of months, the oldest age class listed is 35+

Mastes Worlds has a Masters 6 division this year! 55-60!

I'll be in Masters 4 black heavy. I'm 48.

Training and competing at worlds and pans wont be a problem at all.

That being said, anything local, you will have zero competitors. You might go another 10 years entering every local tournament and not get a 50 year old guy at your weight, belt, and age.

Did you find Kali useful?

And 48 isn't old for BJJ. I'm assuming you're already in good shape from MT

I love Kali. It's a fascinating Art to study, because it encompasses such a wide range of techniques: Striking, Grappling, Sticks, Daggers etc.

I used to be in reasonable shape, but like I say I haven't trained properly in three months. And it's been my experience that fitness in one Martial Art doesn't always equate to fitness in another. I could do a hard Thai session and be OK at the end. But the one time I did an MMA course I ached for days afterwards.

I'm 39 and entering my first tournament in a couple of months, the oldest age class listed is 35+

As long as there isn't a maximum age limit, I'm fine with fighting guys younger than me. It's all about the experience in any case.

Mastes Worlds has a Masters 6 division this year! 55-60!

I'll be in Masters 4 black heavy. I'm 48.

Nice to know I'm not the only Old Fart competing!:icon_chee Good luck brother!

That being said, anything local, you will have zero competitors. You might go another 10 years entering every local tournament and not get a 50 year old guy at your weight, belt, and age.

As long as they let me fight, I don't care who it's against. Obviously, it would be great to win. But I'd rather get my ass handed to me by some 20 year old monster than not fight at all.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.:cool:

Get ready for a bunch of gold medals due to you being the only one in your age bracket. Makes sure to separate those medals from the real ones.

He can compete in the adult age division if he so chooses.

I'm 48 and competed in The Good Fight's tournament in Jacksonville last month. I was the oldest one there and ended up in the 30+ division as there weren't any other 40+ guys. It felt good to beat at least one of those young whipper snappers!

Good luck!

Get ready for a bunch of gold medals due to you being the only one in your age bracket. Makes sure to separate those medals from the real ones.

Lulz.:icon_chee

He can compete in the adult age division if he so chooses.

I'm 48 and competed in The Good Fight's tournament in Jacksonville last month. I was the oldest one there and ended up in the 30+ division as there weren't any other 40+ guys. It felt good to beat at least one of those young whipper snappers!

Good luck!

Thanks for replying, guys. Hope to have my first BJJ training session this week. I'll probably spend the next day recovering.

Last edited:
Back