After withdrawal from Markus Perez fight last weekend, Eric Spicely released from UFC

Not sure if there is a fix for this, but I feel it will be an issue in the next 10 years or so, when a lot of the more mainstream fighters begin having issues.
There are plenty of old school MMA fighters and boxers with severe symptoms now. It might become a mainstream concern if one of the biggest names goes and does something stupid, but I don't see it changing until then.
Sometimes you see these all out striking wars and you are literally watching these guys take years of quality life off the table. At that point it’s not fun to watch.
It's an interesting paradox for sure. I mean, we see people taking quality years off their lives every day: working at a toll booth for 30 years. smoking and drinking. eating MacDonalds. Those are YEARS of life that they have decided to trade away. It's up to them.
At the same time I find concepts like Bumfights reprehensible. So I guess I'm a hypocrite

There are plenty of old school MMA fighters and boxers with severe symptoms now. It might become a mainstream concern if one of the biggest names goes and does something stupid, but I don't see it changing until then.

It's an interesting paradox for sure. I mean, we see people taking quality years off their lives every day: working at a toll booth for 30 years. smoking and drinking. eating MacDonalds. Those are YEARS of life that they have decided to trade away. It's up to them.
At the same time I find concepts like Bumfights reprehensible. So I guess I'm a hypocrite
I met Cerrone not long ago, did a seminar for our gym. He does zero sparring with head strikes between fights now. The main takeaway from a brief conversation was that he(and many other) fighters are increasingly concerned with cte, he said ufc actively pushes for very limited sparring, educating gyms on all this stuff. Cerrone has his eye on acting, that will be his next passion. When I spoke with him he had no desire to be an mma analyst or anything like that.

can always come back from losing a job. Can’t come back from eating a gun
This is true
But it definitely doesn’t help his situation
I imagine if he got a win it would go a hell of a long way for him mentally

Back