After withdrawal from Markus Perez fight last weekend, Eric Spicely released from UFC

toe hold

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/8/...opping-out-of-fight-due-to-botched-weight-cut

SIR

Eric Spicely released from UFC after dropping out of fight due to botched weight cut

Middleweight competitor Eric Spicely has been released from the UFC after he was forced out of a fight this past weekend at UFC Vegas 5.

Spicely first announced the news on social media with his management team later confirming the release to MMA Fighting.

"Alright @ufc this is goodbye again for now. Let’s see if we can do a 3 peat. Sorry to all my fans."

— éS (@EricSpicely) August 3, 2020

The former Ultimate Fighter competitor was on his second stint with the promotion after he accepted a short notice fight against Deron Winn back in June 2019. While he took home Fight of the Night honors that night, Spicely never got the chance to compete for the UFC again after falling out of his next scheduled bout and then having a fight cancelled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Spicely was then scheduled to fight this past weekend at UFC Vegas 5, but he was forced out of his matchup with Markus Perez due to health issues related to his weight cut. He later revealed on Twitter that he was struggling with his weight after starting a prescribed regimen of antidepressants following his fight with Winn.

“For the sake of transparency this was my first weight cut since starting antidepressants due to the head trauma I sustained in the Deron Winn fight,” Spicely wrote on Twitter.

“Needless to say it went horribly wrong and my fight is off. I will figure this problem out and hopefully be able to compete again.”

Now Spicely has been released from the UFC for the second time.

Not surprised considering the reasons behind his withdrawal. Something could absolutely go wrong the next time he fights if he's even cleared.

"So you wanna be a fucking fighter?"

So long Spicely... Ray Borg, you’re expected in the office next.

7RF7.gif

For the sake of transparency this was my first weight cut since starting antidepressants due to the head trauma I sustained in the Deron Winn fight,” Spicely wrote on Twitter.

Geeze. I hope he gives up mma and gets a day job. There are known and accepted risks of CTE in combat sports, but he’s already getting medical intervention level assistance for his symptoms. He doesn’t need to be making the head trauma worse

How is this legal? How can you cut someone who’s unable to compete off an injury? Not a lawyer but it’s mind blowing how one sided these UFC contracts are. It’s written slavery. I don’t know how those contracts are permissible in a court of law.

The UFC cutting its losses. LOL

Spicely should sue them. I don't think a disability is grounds for dismissal.

I wondered that too. Does he have a potential case against the UFC? He's under a doctor's care and medication for injuries sustain while fighting for the UFC........and then the UFC fires him. Seems like a wrongful termination case to me.

Like if I'm working for a company and get carpel tunnel or something.......then have to get surgery and have lingering effects from the surgery I don't think the company can just fire me. Maybe long term disability or short term or something but they can't fire me for injuries and follow up doctor care that happened on the job.

Dana doesnt want fighters going around saying they got head trauma from a fight
More like the UFC doesn't wanna be responsible for his condition to worsen because he keeps fighting for them, this is a way for the promotion to wash their hands in worse comes to worse.

No comision should allow him to fight tbh.

Back