After watching the glover fight, I have a feeling the rematch with Gus would differen

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by heavenly kaghan, May 11, 2014.

1. heavenly kaghan

heavenly kaghan Blue Belt

Jones figured out Glover in the third round and took the fight in clinch range. Gus only really have the advantage over jones in the punching range, they have comparable wrestling, but Jones is better in almost all other aspects, from kicking range, to clinching range to ground fighting. If Jones can pressure gus like the way he did to Glover and in similar ways Cain to JDS then I see this fight totally different from the 1st one.

2. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

Nah. I think Gus will have spent just as much time improving and will finish Jones. Jones doesn't want that fight for a reason.

3. CarloSpcyWeiner

CarloSpcyWeiner Desert Eagle, .50 Platinum Member

He has to be able to close the gap on Gus first. Easier said than done.

4. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

TS I'm leaning on agreeing with you here. It seems like JBJ took some time to look at his performance against Gus and make some slight changes (not that he needed much). I can only imagine Bones taking the fight to Gus and being more aggressive to look for the finish. Glover is a beast and Jon beat Glover up in the clinch and toe to toe. But then again, I may be speaking from only one angle having just seen Jones vs Glover. Who knows what new bag of tricks Gus will bring. I'm definitely looking forward to the rematch!

5. NeverAgainPlaya

NeverAgainPlaya Purple Belt

I could be crazy, but I kind of feel like Jon took Gus a little lightly the first time. I think he'll win the rematch, in more convincing fashion, but Gus is such a fucking animal that I wouldn't be surprised if he took the title. I wouldn't be mad either.

6. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

Typical people being blinded by jones sycophants. Didn't you watch the first fight? Jones tried to get in close on gustafsson multiple times, but the mauler was having none of it.

7. OriginMMA

OriginMMA Black Belt

Gus was able to circle away from the fence. Glover wasn't able to because he is slow and his footwork is lacking.

8. K1HerosNakamura

K1HerosNakamura Black Belt

I don't even care to speculate on how this one will play out. They have both only fought once since against dissimilar opponents.

9. City_Lights

City_Lights Brown Belt

Gus and Glover don't fight anything like each other. Glover has some good qualities but he is much slower than Gus and doesn't move like he does.

10. CPH

CPH Let's party

The Jones fanboys' fantasy is that, despite having failed to adjust to Gus over 5 rounds in the first fight, Jones will appear at the rematch with some amazing strat or a significantly different skill set and 'dominate' Gus

11. thobra

thobra Black Belt

Nah. Tex is a small guy. Easy for someone with Jones reach to outstrike him. That is the difference from the GUS fight.

12. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Or maybe you took Gus a little lightly and thats why you are now thinking that Jones did? I mean, its more comfortable to think like that than just admitting being wrong. Jones is a professional athlete on a highest level of the sport. Why would he took any new breed talent like Gus lightly when there is millions of dollars on line (Jones market value/sponsors etc) and the belt? That just doesnt make any sense if you think about it.

13. Harlekin

Harlekin Brown Belt

You are saying Jones should pressure Gus
    You are saying Gus is better in the punching range

I say: So how does Jones exactly pressure Gus without being constantly in the punching range?
    Jones can't get Gus to the ground without a lot of failed Takedown attempts.
    Gus was better in the clinching range the first time.

My guess would be Jones wins by having a good camp, while Gustavson trains in Sweden. At least that's the last thing I heard.

Quality training > Average training

Oh and by eyepokes and kicks to the knee and his other stuff.

14. MyFist

MyFist Blue Belt

Gus is going for the finish, if he can't finish Jones he will not win.
    As for Jones, he will change his strategy against Gus in the rematch for sure.

Jones is the 2nd smartest IQ fighter in the UFC after Weidman.

Here's what I see, Gus will try to finish Jones by TKO.
    Jones will try to finish Gus by sub.

15. MeatballMagnus

MeatballMagnus Blue Belt

Yeah but Glover has a very mediocre clinch and if anything Jones wants to stay away from Gus.

16. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

You cant really say that. He was on his way to decision win already at the first time until that elbow. He has probably a better chance to win by decision than finish Jon.

17. Ughugh

Ughugh Banned Banned

Meh. Alex was much more impressive. While Jon was busy playing patty cake with an injured fighter who's been known to be a bit chinny and has had trouble finishing top class opponents with strikes in the past (bar Bader who got dropped by Tito of all people), Alex KOed an undefeated opponent - who's never gone past the 2nd round and finished 13 of his 14 opponents via KO/TKO, injuring and retiring several of them in the process - in the proverbial lion's den that is Manuwa's hometown of London.

He didn't even up his work rate. He threw more punches than he did against Alex but mostly from the clinch so there goes the cardio excuse (which was a poor one to begin with cause his striking pace against Alex was about the same as it was against Rashad and he worked way, way more against Alex than he ever did vs Rashad... or any of his other opponents for that matter).

So where's this great progress I ask? He used his wrestling to smother Glover against the cage and he didn't throw anything new. In the early stages of the fights Glover was even arguably getting the better of the exchanges. He got staggered one time, he got hit with a ton of hard punches and he never did anything to suggest he improved his boxing or finishing ability in any position.

Meanwhile, Alex was doing this...

18. Redhawks100

Redhawks100 Gold Belt

Gus needs to work on his kicking defense. He still looks open to kicks.

19. CPH

CPH Let's party

^ I agree.

If Gus develops the skill to check kicks and comes into the fight very disciplined about shutting the low kick down, Jones will have little to bother him with striking wise.
    If he doesn't, he will once again risk having Jones stay close on points and be in position to take the decision with one big moment.

20. deanicus22

deanicus22 Orange Belt

Jones relies far too much on his reach when striking. Obviously this works fine for him against 99% of the fighters in his division.

Problem is that Gus has very similar reach and therefore can strike Jones where he is not used to getting hit (ie with his hands outstretched)

I also read before from someone with a lot of knowledge of wrestling that Jones is so used to wrestling people smaller than him that he doesn't need solid technique and that his hip and core strength is not particularly good but he gets away with it due to his size. However again when face with someone his size, his wrestling is not as effective.

When in 99% of your fights you use all these advantages, it will be difficult to train them out of you over 2-3 camps. I think Jones will struggle again with Gustaffson, his usual reach advantage will not be there and I don't think he will out wrestle Gus this time either.

Not sure who will win but he certainly will not have learned much more facing a plodding striker like Teixeira that will give him some sort of ungodly advantage against Gus