After some though, I believe an immediate rematch is not the best for Gus

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by fernandom, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fernandom

fernandom Purple Belt

Gus is still young and will improve a lot, like we've seen since his loss to Phil Davis. If he loses again in the rematch (yes, he did lose a close 48-47 decision) he'll be in Rich Franklin territory.

Let Glover have his opportunity, and then Gus can get another chance after beating the winner of Rashad/Chael.

Like I saw someone post on these boards, an immediate rematch would like benefit Jones, but on a future one Gus might be the favorite. I just feel he has a later growth curve than Jones.

2. shogunwon

shogunwon Purple Belt

Agreed.

Rogan and Goldie put it well when they were talking statistics about rematches and they said they pretty much go 50/50 either way which as they said "proves nothing"

I am pretty sick of all the rematches. If JDS gets run over again he's stuck in no title shot purgatory until Cain loses. Weidman BEAT Silva. Jones/Gus was close but Jones was declared the victor. Let these divisions shuffle and let these fighters truly hone their skillsets before testing them against one another again.

3. GloutonSang

GloutonSang Brown Belt

Agreed, the way Chael vs Anderson II played out where they each won a couple more fights was ideal.

4. El Maestro

El Maestro Yellow Belt

I agree. I don't like immediate rematches because neither fighter gets time to develop something new to bring to match-up. They rarely live up to the first fight and unfold rather predictably.

5. TheGOD

TheGOD Purple Belt

An immediate rematch won't benefit Gus's gas tank. That's perhaps his biggest disadvantage to Jones right now. At various stages of the fight, you could see Gus wilting like he was struggling to stay on his feet. At the end of the third, fourth, and fifth rounds, Gus was on the verge of being dropped. That's why Jones won. Gus was never close to finishing the fight.

6. tricky92

tricky92 Green Belt

Absolutely agreed. These immediate rematches seem to be ruining the sport.

7. JAB2013

JAB2013 Banned Banned

Stop. Just stop it.

8. tricky92

tricky92 Green Belt

The only immediate re-match that ever made much sense to me was when Vitor poked Couture in the eye.

9. FlowWithTheGo23

FlowWithTheGo23 Black Belt

Where do people get this from? Now we're claiming that Gus was almost finished on three separate occasions?

10. TheGOD

TheGOD Purple Belt

I said he was "wilting" on three separate occasions. he was only coming close to being finished once after Jones landed that spinning elbow to his head.

11. Marx Marvelous

Marx Marvelous Yellow Belt

I mostly agree, let Glover or DC have a shot and give Gus time to work on his game. But on the other hand...Machida/Shogun.

12. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice Banned Banned

There are so many other good fights for Alex. I love the winner of Chael/Rashad. He hasn't fought a single guy on todays top ten list!

13. ali2013champ

ali2013champ Banned Banned

rematches.rematches after every close fights rematches, let Glover fight Jones... and Gus can improve...

14. superjabb2000

superjabb2000 Purple Belt

I think Gus should be 2-3 fights off a rematch, let Jones fight Texiera first and then another LHW(Phill Jones) and then spend months building up a rematch in the same time period, Gus could have beaten Evans and Hendo. Put them on TUF etc, maybe a year and half to two years from now.

PS Gus is older than Jones!!

15. hto63

hto63 Brown Belt

I agree, thought so immediately afterwards.
    And I don't understand how people want to waste what can be such an awesome fight a little later down the road on an immediate rematch.

I think the whole story of a rematch is so much more interesting when both fighters have improved and there are questions in which ways those improvements will make a difference...

16. ForeverZero

ForeverZero Gold Belt Platinum Member

Plus Jones needs some time to heal up his busted up face .

17. RemoWilliams1a**

RemoWilliams1a** Banned Banned

Jones has the more room to make adjustments in a quick rematch where neither will really come in a better fighter. Gus, as most contenders do brought his 100% game, Jones while on point, was caught off guard by how good Gus was and will prepare more and better. There is not a lot more Jones ca do but you can bet he will push his training more and be more specific in it. I just see him having more adjustments available.

If the fight is delayed then Gus overall is improving at a faster rate then Jones right now and he will be much better and stronger in the rematch.

18. jn677**

jn677** Orange Belt

I hate when people use gas tank as an excuse.

Pacing yourself is part of a fight.

If someone sprinted the fight mile of a marathon and was in first place but then tired himself out and dropped down to 500th place... no one would be like "ohh but he was winning during the first mile he just needs to work on his cardio a bit"

Jones could have turned it up during the first 3 rounds too he just chose not to because he was being smart and conserving his energy and it won him the fight.

19. ovbious

ovbious Brown Belt

Yeah

Glover -> Davis -> Gus (if he keeps winning).

20. TehFlame

TehFlame Purple Belt

Immediate rematches are dumb, I agree

I also agree with Gus probably becoming more and more of a favorite the more he has time to improve.