After Rumble and Gus

People forget Rumble only materialized as a contender in the last 9 months. He only had one fight in 2013, then a win in January 2014 still in WSOF. Re-signed with UFC to face Davis in April and then beat Nog; not exactly a murderer's row to become a contender, but its HOW he won those fights that did it. That's how quickly a contender can arise.

If Jon beats Rumble and Gus by the end of the year someone will have a similar build up or someone will have extended their streak.

I think the easy bet is on the winner of Davis and Bader. Davis 4-1 in last 5 (loss is rumble), Bader 3 in a row right now also 4-1 in last 5 with the loss being Glover who fought for title.

OSP 7-1 in last 8 (loss is Bader) or 14-2 in last 16. Manuwa is 14-1 with Gus his only loss.

Rampage just resigned is on a 3 win streak.

Jan Blachowicz on 6 win streak. No big names yet, but by 2016 who knows...

no shortage of contenders to be made

There will always be someone on a win streak who is next in line. The question is, can you think of anyone who fights at LHW in the world who offers a strong hope to beat Jones other than Gus? Even a young prospect who could develop?

I think Rumble Johnson is a tough match-up for Jones. I think he's a tough match-up for anyone, and that includes (unfortunately) Gus.

Guys you're forgetting about that monster waiting in the shadows...Jimi Manuwa!!

Lol just kidding I still crack up when thinking that's probably Gus' best win and people try to defend it.

If Gus has to pull out the fight with Rumble, Jones really has no opponent this Spring/Summer. Rumble has not done enough to warrant a title shot, neither has Davis. Rashad and Glover winner are retreads. So is Bader and he hasn't done close to enough. I think we do a cross division big fight. Jones says he wants the best AKA has to offer. Why not do AKA #3 in charge Rockhold vs Jones? If Rocky beats Machida in a close fight. UFC will probably prefer Weidman vs Gator/Romero. Jones needs a fight to stay active, lets do Rockhold vs Jones at 205. They kind of did this before with Vitor and Sonnen. This is an easy win for Jones like those were but it is at least an intriguing opponent.

Back