After Rumble and Gus

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who the hell is there for Jones to fight? Could we actually see a champion with no interesting challangers?

If he fights both of them in 2015, that will effectively take up a calendar year.

Another contender in that time span should emerge in the meantime.

That would pretty much clear the division.

It'd also put him at 10 title defenses - tying Anderson's record and doing so against stronger opposition.

If Jones can win the next two he makes the most compelling argument for GOAT.

He's very close already.

If he fights both of them in 2015, that will effectively take up a calendar year.

Yep.

Besides, I don't think the next time will be the last fight Jones and Alex will have.

I predict they will have at least 3 fights against each other.

I'm going to guess either DC makes the rounds again or possibly Rashad if I he beats Glover and possibly beats the Winner of Davis/Bader

I've been waiting to see Jones obliterate Phil Davis for a couple years now.

That would pretty much clear the division.

It'd also put him at 10 title defenses - tying Anderson's record and doing so against stronger opposition.

If Jones can win the next two he makes the most compelling argument for GOAT.

He's very close already.

Indeed.

Sad to acknowledge this as an Anderson fan :D

Just start giving unearned title shots as long as the guys are coming off a win

Manuwa
OSP
Cummings
Phil Davis
Drysdale

See there are plenty....

I think Phil Davis and OSP are gonna be the next two guys in the top 5. And I wouldn't mind seeing those fights, Davis is better than people give him credit for and OSP is crafty and game as fuck.

If he does clear out the Division ,( still a big IF for me because GUS and Rumble loom as legitimate foils) , I would not mind seeing him try what Anderson did try his hand at HW to test the waters and keep people on their toes as to whether or not he moves up

Smooth sailing to GOAT status if he gets passed Gus 2 and Rumble. Possibly a Cormier 2 in the future but time isn't on Cormier's side so hopefully sooner than later. But Jon will surpass Anderson's UFC consecutive title streak if he can get passed Gus 2 and or Rumble. Possibly even surpass Fedor's unbeaten streak, especially if he stays at LHW.

If he does clear out the Division ,( still a big IF for me because GUS and Rumble loom as legitimate foils) , I would not mind seeing him try what Anderson did try his hand at HW to test the waters and keep people on their toes as to whether or not he moves up

I can get on board with this. Take some selective fights, but don't make a full on move to a different division.

I appreciate that people want to see Jones at HW, or GSP move up to MW, or Silva to LHW, etc... but I'm not sure I've agreed with their reasoning in that these fighters dominated their division so should vacate and become the underdog of sorts, or walk away from what has gotten them to their elite status in the first place.

I don't necessarily see a problem with someone fighting in their chosen weight class where they feel they're at their best and ruling that division as a result.

Just start giving unearned title shots as long as the guys are coming off a win

Manuwa
OSP
Cummings
Phil Davis
Drysdale

See there are plenty....

All you need is a non American fighter with a cocky attitude. UFC can manufacture contenders like it's nothing these days.

There will always be someone on a win streak who is next in line. The question is, can you think of anyone who fights at LHW in the world who offers a strong hope to beat Jones other than Gus? Even a young prospect who could develop?

He should probably go to heavyweight and challenge Cain Velasquez. That would be awesome. Cain avenging his teammates loss. Cain will also be the only one that could keep the pace for 5 rounds.

Davis and Rashad again.

I can get on board with this. Take some selective fights, but don't make a full on move to a different division.

I appreciate that people want to see Jones at HW, or GSP move up to MW, or Silva to LHW, etc... but I'm not sure I've agreed with their reasoning in that these fighters dominated their division so should vacate and become the underdog of sorts, or walk away from what has gotten them to their elite status in the first place.

I don't necessarily see a problem with someone fighting in their chosen weight class where they feel they're at their best and ruling that division as a result.

Yeah if they are comfortable with their cuts and have never had any issues before then , by all means they have every right to stay . But from a spectators perspective when we believe that they have clean out their respective divisions we tend to throw out the what ifs as far as them moving up and hopefully generate enough interest so that it's worth while for the fighter to take that risk. Or perhaps also A fighters competitive spirit takes over and they want to conquer a new challenge.

Yep.

Besides, I don't think the next time will be the last fight Jones and Alex will have.

I predict they will have at least 3 fights against each other.

if Gus wins the rematch, guaranteed instant rubber match

even I cannot defend this new trend any more, and I'm a proper shill :redface:

regarding who Jones will fight ... it doesn't matter.
not a lot you can do but let guys earn their shots until he either falls, retires, changes division or vacates, and hopefully avoid disasters like gifting fighters title shots in other divisions via being a TUF coach or a moronic late replacement opponent.

Last edited:
Back