After rewatching the fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Macalpinerules, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Macalpinerules

Macalpinerules Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

After rewatching the fight I've come to the conclusion that DC's trash talk hurt the perception of his performance. If DC never said any of the things he said about breaking bones, and making Jones quit, then his performance would actually be viewed much better than it is now. People are judging DC's performance based on expectations that were unreasonable. There is no fighter in the world today (not even Jon Jones) that is capable of doing the things DC said he was gonna do: in other words, DC prepared us to see a performance that was superhuman. And inevitably he failed to deliver that.

But again, if DC simply came into the fight like Lyoto, Gus, and Glover, playing the role of worthy challenger, I think people would be talking about how good of a fight he put up and how he could have potentially won if he were in better shape. Instead people are crapping on him because they are forced to compare him to the image that DC created for himself, an image that is incapable of being obtained by any fighter because it is superhuman. I don't know what DC was thinking when he was saying all of those things, because as a high level fighter he should know his limitations and it should have been clear to him that the he could not do the things he said he was going to do because they were undoable. That's not to say he can't beat Jones but to claim that "you're going to wake up the next morning and say 'how did he make it look so easy?'" Was just preposterous.

2. Bearmode

Bearmode Blue Belt

Well, a lot of his talking was probably to hype the fight as well.

3. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

I heart re-watch analysisses

4. spid3yo

spid3yo Guest

If you bought into it and didn't know how DC fights that's your own fault.

5. egk

egk Gold Belt

It wasn't just DC's talk alone but everyone who made the claims that DC was going to show what a huge gap there was in wrestling between a former Olympian who ragdolls HW's and a Jr college wrestler who only fights MW's.
    SURPRISE!!!

6. phd

phd Brown Belt

Oh it's all relative for sure. I don't think he laid an egg, I just think that Bones was/is the better fighter.

DC fought well while he was mentally engaged. The phone booth work was nice, his hands looked good (since he landed a lot of good shots on Bones), and his chin was really good (as I think Jones landed some really good shots on him). The problems came when DC mentally submitted in the 4th round and Jones, being the champion he is, took the opportunity to widen the gap even further.

I don't think many people objectively would say that DC fought poorly. I think it's a case of the Jones hate...people can't say that Jon was the better of two good men. It's easier to just say that DC took a shit.

7. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Black Belt

Agree. I made a tread about it before the fight.

8. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Jones made DC, literally, cry.

9. ShX

ShX Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Couldnt agree more. And i hate how people that praised DC are now throwing garbage on him just because he lost. Grow the fuck up.

10. Shwartz

Shwartz Green Belt

Yep. He did better than any Jones' opponent not named Gus.

And it may be that he shot himself in the leg with his talk - fans who bough his trash talk are now disappointed and won't want to see Jones-Cormier 2 (if Daniel manages to build another winstreak).

11. Shammon

Shammon Brown Belt

Yep, definitely true.

On the flip side, if DC didn't talk so much, the fight wouldn't have gotten as much hype as it did and he might have lost out on a lot of money.

12. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

He brought it on himself by doing things like shove Bones at a presser and also tell Bones that he "has been looking for so long for the man that is his equal." Well I guess he found him and that man made him leave the arena all misty eyed and sad.

13. Fantastic_Man

Fantastic_Man Brown Belt

DC made himself cry.

14. Dman4Life8017

Dman4Life8017 Green Belt

Here's Daniel talking about how he plans on making Jon Jones quit. http://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-cormier-plans-to-make-jon-jones-quit-at-ufc-182-video

Here's Daniel saying he's gonna rid MMA of Jon Jones. [YT]ckkaOPjvVSY[/YT]

15. Tsar

Tsar Brown Belt

i don;t think DC's trash talk affected perception of the fight--I think he faltered in a close fight when things weren't going as well as he expected--in particular when he couldn't control the clinch or tds.

16. MaTaLa

MaTaLa #ConorFold Double Yellow Card

Deserves Got Nothing To Do With It, Unfortunately
    Sig worthy

17. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

Holy fuck lol. Never saw that interview before. He said he wanted to beat up Jones, beat him up again after that in a rematch, and take his career from him so that he moves weight classes, is never the same again, and leaves MMA.

That makes Bones victory, if possible, even more sweet than it already has been for me. Jon Jones is going to rid MMA, from you Daniel.

18. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

DC was delivering on what he said. If you watched some of his more candid interviews, and not the crap that was said to just hype the fight, he stated that there was a possibility that he wouldn't be able to take jones down and that the fight would be contested on the feet, he said that jones might take him down, he said that he thought he might lose. Most clowns around here just listen to the hype though.

He did a great job for parts of the fight, in spurts, but overall, shit job by dean on not breaking up those clinches. I feel dc would have done better with a more competent referee.

19. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

[​IMG]

20. paynebringer

paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

TS you make a valid argument one I said myself not in so many words, just that DC was doing a whole lot of talking. Starting to think this maybe a pattern with him he did it against Cummins not so with Henderson from what I remember.
    Some fighters need to have that little hatred to fuel training & focus DC went overboard in trying to hype himself and reading the public hype for him also may have added to DC's hype boost.

Jon told him he could take him down, DC swore to the Gods it wouldn't happen. 3x if I remember correctly this in itself was where the man breaking begun. DC's tears weren't so much for the sting of the loss, but I think for all the things said that could not be backed by the man that said them.