1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

After rewatching Fury Wilder 3 - Unpopular opinion?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by The Penetrator, Oct 13, 2021.

1. The Penetrator Purple Belt

Just rewatched this fight and the thing that was going through my mind the entire fight was...

DAMN this is some sloppy ass boxing.

Obviously amazing display of heart, one of most entertaining fights ive ever seen , but more in a Clay Guida vs Diego Sanchez way.

Ive honestly seen bar brawls that looked way more like a boxing match than what this was.

As far as professional, championship level boxing, has there ever been more sloppier brawl than this?
    I certainly dont remember one...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. wildchild88 Brown Belt

It was sloppy after they'd both been knocked down, they were both a bit concussed throughout the bout, Wilder more so than Fury.. it was the sloppiest of the three fights for sure.

Fury was very slick with his counters I thought.

My main issue was the amount of punishment Wilder took.. that was not healthy.. yes we're here to be entertained, but that felt irresponsible.. it took for Wilder to be body bagged before it was stopped.

3. defjaam Hazelnut Cake Warrior

I highly doubt that.
    But technically and strategically it wasn't a great fight... That's what you get with two boxers with long limbs as Wilder and Fury... Over 500 pounds combined.

DamianK1, MarkusFlorez99 and jeff7b9 like this.
  4. TheGreatA Gold Belt

Kind of reminded me of Fury's early bouts against John McDermott, Scott Belshaw and guys like that.

Wilder looked like Scott Belshaw with a punch and a chin at times:

5. djacobox372 Steel Belt

Of course it was sloppy, fury's strategy was to smoother and mug and Wilder can't fight.

Hagler, laz0001, RDL81 and 1 other person like this.
  6. 12ga. Gold Belt

290lb men don't move gracefully period. Then Wilder wasn't ever much of a boxer. Maybe u should watch lighter weights.

loveme likes this.
  7. Prex32 Red Belt

maybe due to ring rust, but it sure was the sloppiest of the 3

8. jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Yes and no.

Yes, it was not a textbook, crisp clean technical boxing display.

But no, that isn't really a problem in my eyes.

Clinching, for better or for worse, is a part of boxing. Many great boxers have utilized bullying, pushing opponents around, hanging and leaning on them (Ali loved to headlock and hang on opponents' necks).

Wilder's primary tool is a long range straight right, which he lands best when he can set his feet and maintain range.

Fury took that tool away by using his shear mass to walk Wilder backwards, limiting his range, putting him on his back foot, off balance and tiring him out, which lead to the stoppage.

Even for "in fighting" it was a rather "ugly" display, technique wise, but it worked. And as a poster above noted, both guys probably had concussions for 2/3 of the fight.

9. The XL Silver Belt

For what its worth, Fury didn't appear to take that fight seriously. He knew he was way more talented than Wilder and trusted his skills and his chin/ungodly recovery to get the job done and it did.

ironmansnap likes this.
  10. RDL81 Brown Belt

He was in way less shape than the 2nd fight and I am sure his camp was nowhere near the same level as for the 2nd fight

loveme likes this.
  11. egk Gold Belt

If you watch Usyk's upset of Joshua, you'll see a way better example of great boxing but which fight was more entertaining? It's a good example of why so many boxing fans switched to MMA where the striking is often sloppy as hell.
    Wilder's boxing is shit and while Fury is a very good boxer, he relies a lot on using his size and tying up fighters, leaning on them to tire them out, standing wrestling by grabbing the necks, rabbit punches, etc, etc.

Gregoire1, Badr Hari and Jonny Ninja like this.
  12. Zarathustra611 Yellow Belt

If you watch Fury in fights #1, #2 & #3 you'll see a big change in technique every time. He gave us great movement & slick boxing in #1, then great movement & power punching in #2, this time he came in heavy & just rough-housed him as you describe.

So I agree certain elements of this fight were "sloppier" for want of a better word. It was more a battle. There was still nice technique in it- Fury's work in tight on the inside was a new aspect he hadn't used as much in the other two. Outworked him on the inside, some lovely uppercuts coming from mini clinches. It was also a see saw batlle early on, exciting as heck with knockdowns, comebacks, heart & huge clean punches. That's a good scrap.

But taken as a trilogy- it had it all, across 3 different fights. Pure skill, raw power, tactical adjustments, beautiful defence from a giant ballerina, drama, high quality ring skills vs a big nuke. I liked it.

13. Old Cat Gold Belt

Two threads about how’s much people didn’t like the fight, by people who I’ve never seen post on the board before?

A sensitive and transparent lot mma fans are. Lol

14. Stormtrooper85 Red Belt

He was almost certainly more concerned about his daughter than Windy (a noted Dosser)

15. Stormtrooper85 Red Belt

It's a weird occurrence.
    Big boxing card and MMA fans are like how would some MMA fighter who can't box do against this top boxer? There's so many Ngannou Fury threads floating around.

Worse threads to follow.

Old Cat and Kovalev's "Man Bag" like this.
  16. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Bad blood will do that. They were fighting more on instinct than strategically after both got dropped and they got dropped early in the fight. Throw in ring rust, both being heavier than the last time they stepped into the ring, and a sloppier fight breaking out should come as no surprise to anyone. The second fight had quite a bit of sloppiness to it as well. If you want clean high level technical boxing then Joshua vs Usyk is a fine example of it.

Prex32 and RDL81 like this.
  17. zumbulare White Belt

You can not make it pretty and fight very ‘technical’ against Wilder that showed up last saturday night. You can not expect someone size of Fury to fight like like Chavez on inside

FierceRedBelt likes this.
  18. cuban23 Black Belt

HW boxing is typically "sloppy ass boxing" for the most part. The HWs are the least skilled of all the divisions.

19. zumbulare White Belt

there is some truth to that. However you can not expect 250 pound man to move like Whitaker or Pep or move head like Canelo.

20. regmma123 Brown Belt

sounds like cheating