After losing over 220 lbs in 2 years, I get interviewed

yeah, but they dont give a shit about my goals, which are to improve my physique without any concern for strength or conditioning. i also dont want to build up a lot of muscle at all. ideally, i'd like to be lean and cut with just some muscle mass. I'm all for putting in work, but i'm not opposed to roids either (for real).

i got about 40 days to make a significant dent here. mainly i want to get this gut in order.

diet questions for TS: avoid beans as if they are any other carb? how much time should i give between my last food consumption and sleep?

A common misconception with bodybuilding is that strength isn't a concern of bodybuilders. At the higher levels it is not near as much of a concern because bodybuilders at that level have already established a solid strength base. At the early levels, getting stronger will be a main priority. You could probably hit your goals on a variety of different programs (even "bad" ones) as long as you keep your diet in check.

diet questions for TS: avoid beans as if they are any other carb? how much time should i give between my last food consumption and sleep?

Beans are a starch which is only marginally better than eating cereal/bread/pastries. I avoid them in any significant quantity.

Food timing in regards to sleep is irrelevant, you won't gain weight from eating right before bed.

You CAN benefit from "intermittent fasting" though, which involves not eating for a large period of time and eating for a small period of time. I fast for 18 hours a day and then have a 6 hour eating window with 2 meals.

yeah, but they dont give a shit about my goals, which are to improve my physique without any concern for strength or conditioning. i also dont want to build up a lot of muscle at all. ideally, i'd like to be lean and cut with just some muscle mass. ).

It's funny, because these are the same initial hurdles you have to get over when training most women (I'm not making fun of you), who simply don't realize that just doing resistance training is not going to make you explode with muscle mass. What good, heavy resistance training will do is improve your life in a variety of ways, but in this situation it will help you lose real weight.

As silly as it sounds, lots of us occasionally forget that lifting weight does not make you gain weight. Eating food causes you to gain weight, lifting weights burns calories.

Most women who want to lose weight and get a 'better' body see huge improvement with lifts like the Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press (as well as pushups, which are often challenging for them) and other such 'big' lifts. As a guy, doing the same things you will see even greater improvement.

Besides, get strong! It's fun, and you will never find yourself in a situation where you say 'damn, if only I weren't so strong!'.

Food timing in regards to sleep is irrelevant, you won't gain weight from eating right before bed.

ha, that was like the one thing i was consciously doing on this current diet...

You CAN benefit from "intermittent fasting" though, which involves not eating for a large period of time and eating for a small period of time. I fast for 18 hours a day and then have a 6 hour eating window with 2 meals.

but i did do this on accident (which is why i lost weight i guess). i snooze myself out of enough time for breakfast and i don't get hungry til 4ish anyways. pretty much all my food consumption is between 4-9pm

A common misconception with bodybuilding is that strength isn't a concern of bodybuilders. At the higher levels it is not near as much of a concern because bodybuilders at that level have already established a solid strength base. At the early levels, getting stronger will be a main priority. You could probably hit your goals on a variety of different programs (even "bad" ones) as long as you keep your diet in check.

It's funny, because these are the same initial hurdles you have to get over when training most women (I'm not making fun of you), who simply don't realize that just doing resistance training is not going to make you explode with muscle mass. What good, heavy resistance training will do is improve your life in a variety of ways, but in this situation it will help you lose real weight.

As silly as it sounds, lots of us occasionally forget that lifting weight does not make you gain weight. Eating food causes you to gain weight, lifting weights burns calories.

Most women who want to lose weight and get a 'better' body see huge improvement with lifts like the Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press (as well as pushups, which are often challenging for them) and other such 'big' lifts. As a guy, doing the same things you will see even greater improvement.

Besides, get strong! It's fun, and you will never find yourself in a situation where you say 'damn, if only I weren't so strong!'.

i'm already fairly strong in a functional sense. one of my shitty jobs is about as physical as it gets, and i've excelled at it more than anyone else i've come across in the last 4 years.

but i've been to S&C before and i know they don't want to hear that my goals are 100% aesthetic-based. like i said, i'm not knowledgeable about lifting/workout plans (or really in a dietary sense either), but i don't want to be told that i need to squat and deadlift over and over if thats not the optimal plan for me to achieve my goals. it's nothing against what you guys are doing, i just know our goals are very different and i know you guys don't like when someone like me goes in there asking for advice...and thats exactly the kind of advice i'd be asking for.

Last edited:
like i said, i'm not knowledgeable about lifting/workout plans (or really in a dietary sense either), but i don't want to be told that i need to squat and deadlift over and over if thats not the optimal plan for me to achieve my goals.

You probably don't want to here that that's the optimal way for you to achieve your goals, huh? :)

Well, just remember that the forums are always here and a great place to start.

Decided to come out of occasional lurking to tell you: you are awesome ).
Low carb just didn't work for me (although I do like the reasoning behind it ) - i got sick all the time, but its impressive that you pushed through it.

Sherdog shout out!! How much did you end up spending on new cloths lol. Just curious. But hell of a great job man. Keep it up!!

Sherdog shout out!! How much did you end up spending on new cloths lol. Just curious. But hell of a great job man. Keep it up!!

A lot. Not sure of the exact amount - but as one example of my waste before I moved down to FL my aunt bought me two fancy jackets/pants/shirts for like $600 for job interviews, and they are hilariously baggy on me now, it looks like a comedy skit. I never wore the jackets. They are brand new.

And I'm at my leanest, although not exactly lightest, right now, so am about to buy another set.

but as one example of my waste before I moved down to FL my aunt bought me two fancy jackets/pants/shirts for like $600 for job interviews, and they are hilariously baggy on me now, it looks like a comedy skit.

Haha, this is me right now. I got fitted for a nice, good suit my 2nd year of college for internship job interviews and career fair things. That was when I weighed 210. Really nice suit, but absolutely useless now.

For this last round of interviews, yesterday actually, I found a Jc penny suit that I outgrew my 3rd year of high school.... It's too big now (not quite comical), but all i got.

I need to get fitted for another good one before starting to interview for full time jobs, but unfortunately I'm struggling with binging every other weekend and I'm back up to about 175. 152 was my lowest and while I don't even want that back, I won't be happy/comfortable with myself until 160 again so I'm in an awkward spot :/

Haha, this is me right now. I got fitted for a nice, good suit my 2nd year of college for internship job interviews and career fair things. That was when I weighed 210. Really nice suit, but absolutely useless now.

For this last round of interviews, yesterday actually, I found a Jc penny suit that I outgrew my 3rd year of high school.... It's too big now (not quite comical), but all i got.

I need to get fitted for another good one before starting to interview for full time jobs, but unfortunately I'm struggling with binging every other weekend and I'm back up to about 175. 152 was my lowest and while I don't even want that back, I won't be happy/comfortable with myself until 160 again so I'm in an awkward spot :/

CONGRATS MAN.

Yeah it's fucking weird to be in large sized, slim fit shirts considering I was in 4XL just 2 years ago.

another tragedy of my weight loss was that I bought a navy peacoat the winter before I started losing weight. When I got it, I couldn't even button it shut (bought online), and by the time it was winter again I had lost over 100 lbs and it was hilariously large. Yeah, it got donated, along with a bunch of other clothes!

ha, that was like the one thing i was consciously doing on this current diet...

but i did do this on accident (which is why i lost weight i guess). i snooze myself out of enough time for breakfast and i don't get hungry til 4ish anyways. pretty much all my food consumption is between 4-9pm

i'm already fairly strong in a functional sense. one of my shitty jobs is about as physical as it gets, and i've excelled at it more than anyone else i've come across in the last 4 years.

but i've been to S&C before and i know they don't want to hear that my goals are 100% aesthetic-based. like i said, i'm not knowledgeable about lifting/workout plans (or really in a dietary sense either), but i don't want to be told that i need to squat and deadlift over and over if thats not the optimal plan for me to achieve my goals. it's nothing against what you guys are doing, i just know our goals are very different and i know you guys don't like when someone like me goes in there asking for advice...and thats exactly the kind of advice i'd be asking for.

Go to bodybuilding.com if your goals are purely aesthetic.

I appreciated the interview but I don't like how you prescribe low carb as the best diet for everyone. Low carb works for some but not for others.

I appreciated the interview but I don't like how you prescribe low carb as the best diet for everyone. .

Where's the timestamp where I do this?

Hint: I don't. In fact i say some people can eat whatever they want, some can't.

Last edited:
I appreciated the interview but I don't like how you prescribe low carb as the best diet for everyone. Low carb works for some but not for others.

I think it's a solid contender for the best diet for anyone with metabolic syndrome. I haven't done the foot work for finding these studies but look at 42:50:

The thing is, at the end of the day you need a diet that is livable for you and if you're near euphoric while consuming rice, beans and fruit I'd say watch your calories and go for it. Nothing that makes you miserable is going to be manageable in the long term.

But being an "traditional Italian-American" has nothing to do with being a gavone, Nemesis. Rustling my jimmies you are.

But being an "traditional Italian-American" has nothing to do with being a gavone, Nemesis. Rustling my jimmies you are.

I know, i'm just talking about the eating culture. I'm guinea as fuck and about 2/3 of my family is italian. I say these things out of love.

In contrast my grandmother (married in from another family, not related) is traditional north italian, much classier, wine and fine meats type. My dad is as you say, a gavone :p

Last edited:
Anyone whose lived in a partly Italian-American Family, even 3rd generation understands that most of life's problems are solved by pasta and sweets.

Anyone whose lived in a partly Italian-American Family, even 3rd generation understands that most of life's problems are solved by pasta and sweets.

German as well, although I belive my grandma's solution was copious amounts of butter rather than the pasta, but my god the desserts... and the breakfasts. Diabetic coma instantly

Back