After a Year of Insulting Fans and Mishaps, Battlefield V Sales Estimates Look Grim

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
After a Year of Insulting Fans and Mishaps, Battlefield V Sales Estimates Look Grim

Battlefield V has been in the news for all the wrong reasons. And it looks that trend isn’t looking to end as sales estimates indicate the game only sold 3.3 million units.

According to Super Data Research, Battlefield V only sold 1.9 million digital units.

“Battlefield V and Fallout 76 launches fail to meet franchise benchmarks. We estimate Battlefield V and Fallout 76 sold 1.9 million and 1.4 million digital units, respectively, across console and PC at launch. Both are down from Battlefield 1 and Fallout 4.”

Now Super Data Research only includes digital sales, and it is an increasingly prominent category as physical sales are losing market share every year. Statista reports that in 2017 physical games in the United States only made up 21% of market share compared to digital sales. Just 10 years ago, physical copies were 80% of the market.

That’s where VGChartz comes in. VGChartz looked at the first week of retail sales for Battlefield V and estimated that just over 1.4 million copies were sold in two days.

“Publisher Electronic Arts and developer EA Dice – Battlefield V – sold 1,404,974 units in two days at retail, according to our estimates. First week sales can be viewed on the VGChartz Global Weekly Chart for the week ending November 24.”

They also compared Battlefield V’s first week sales to other games in the franchise and it’s not a pretty picture with Battlefield V placing in fifth just ahead of Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It’s a far cry from Battlefield 3’s 4.68 million sales in the first week, and a significant drop off from Battlefield 1’s 2.8 million.

But the total unit sales might not be the worst news for EA/DICE. It was well-documented that EA/DICE were actually selling Battlefield V at heavily discounted rates during the holiday season.

Continue reading

pre-order-to-get-the-lgbt-disabled-transgender-german-ss-skin-33269670.png

I don't mind the female soldiers or anything like that. A fun game is a fun game. What I'm not down with is the same old same old. EA keeps churning out the same rehashed rigmarole and we (the gamers who BUY the games) are supposed to say "Thanks EA, I'll pay $59.99 for a re-skinned version of the game you made last go-round."

The game isn't selling because of any trans/gay/female/social issues.

It's not selling because they half-@$$ed it.

It is weird how EA screws up public relations so bad. They take something clearly minor like that female character and instead of just shrugging it off and saying they thought she was cool they attack fans.

EA/Dice never did fully understand how disillusioned their players are in thinking the Battlefield series is a military simulation. Hanging out of a cop car GTA style chasing a bag of cash was so much more realistic than a woman amputee soldier in WW2.....lol

Its one of those situations where the developer and its players frame of mind are in-sync yet disconnected from another. That when their expectations of one another isnt met they react in the same immature manner.

I'm glad it came back to bite them.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to assume that the SJW nonsense is what’s hurting it’s sales, as opposed to backlash over the Battlefront 2 shit show last year.

Get woke go broke guess that's what happens when you insult your fanbase and rewrite a real war story to fit your sjw narrative.

Who ever would have fucking thought? I'm baffled.

I would have bought it if it looked fun, but it didn't. I don't really care about the SJW stuff as skins and shit like that in games don't matter to me.

There is probably also franchise fatigue between this and battlefront it's like 4 games in 2-3 years

The saddest part is, it's a genuinely great Battlefield game.

It is weird how EA screws up public relations so bad. They take something clearly minor like that female character and instead of just shrugging it off and saying they thought she was cool they attack fans.

Is this even why it sold less or is it because it was a generic game?

Is this even why it sold less or is it because it was a generic game?
You are probably right when it comes to sales. My thoughts went back to the ME3 fiasco where people voiced pretty legitimate concerns and EAs public relations basically defaults to saying the fans are dumb and that feels like the attitude they took with this.

Every time an EA game fails, it makes my day.

The disrespect they've sworn their customer base has been inexcusable over the last 8+ years.

Their real customers are EA's shareholders, and gamers are fools that actually buy their half-assed products.

Fuck EA.

Every time an EA game fails, it makes my day.

The disrespect they've sworn their customer base has been inexcusable over the last 8+ years.

Their real customers are EA's shareholders, and gamers are fools that actually buy their half-assed products.

Fuck EA.
Man how people buy fifa every year when they add something really simple in shocks me.

They haven’t changed a thing in 5 years lmao.

Man how people buy fifa every year when they add something really simple in shocks me.

Why should they?

Idiots still buy it by the tens of millions of copies.

Same with Madden.

Why should they?

Idiots still buy it by the tens of millions of copies.

Same with Madden.
True lmao, just can’t believe people still buy it.

Hell just wait to December and it’s like $29 for Xmas.

The fact it still has the same bugs makes me LOL.

I don’t play sports games and haven’t sence a baseball game on the genesis but I’m guessing it’s for the new players on the roster?

That’s all I can figure
Oh look in Madden 4685 super bowl addition you can take a knee during the anthem or some shit

Is it a shitty sniperfest like the last one because I hated that. I can't stand being killed by enemies I can't see and have no way of countering.

I think it's more of fatigue of the series, and also the disconnect for the non die hard fans. Last Battlefield game was Battlefield I, right? Now the next game is Battlefield V? How does that shit work? It's confusing to those who aren't reading forums / watching E3 type events. Also, as others have stated, people are tired of paying for the same game again. Now you've got to hope all your buddies buy the new game, or you're looking for new friends / clans to play with. That kind of shit gets old and fans of a series really get tired of dealing with that crap every single year.

EA/Dice never did fully understand how disillusioned their players are in thinking the Battlefield series is a military simulation. Hanging out of a cop car GTA style chasing a bag of cash was so much more realistic than a woman amputee soldier in WW2.....lol

I don't have a criticism to your broader points but I did spot a disillusion: there are many real world examples of how their were no female soldiers (barring extreme examples) in WWII, where as hanging out of a cop car chasing a bag of money is pure fantasy. That's the difference, that one had a contrary frame of reference.

Last edited:
What's worse is EA/Dice would not hesitate to position their next game the same way, and will once again engage the fans with "Well if you don't like it, don't buy it.." They will learn nothing from this experience, and I wouldn't doubt they'll once again attack toxic males who refuse to progress.

Back