African Lake Turns Creatures Into Statues

Y2Khaos

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
o-CALCIFIED-FLAMINGO-900.jpg
This is soooo creepy. It's been suggested that the waters reflection makes them crash. Then extremely high soda and salt content of the water causes them to calcify.

How fucked up is this,
Other than serving as a breeding area for the endangered Lesser Flamingo and as a home to certain kinds of algae and bacteria, Lake Natron is inhospitable to life.

Blood-red from the bacteria that live in it, the salt lake is steaming hot, with temperatures that can reach up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit

More photos here:
o-CALCIFIED-FISH-EAGLE-900.jpg

o-CALCIFIED-DOVE-900.jpg

o-CALCIFIED-BAT-900.jpg

o-CALCIFIED-SONGBIRD-900.jpg

o-CALCIFIED-SWALLOW-900.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe there's a Lady of the Lake...

Clash-of-the-Titans_Original-Medusa.jpg

Shit that's creepy
Has the lake been explored before?

I'm confused about how the river does that to the animals on branches.

I wish I knew where I could buy one without going to Tanzania. I totally would.

Shit that's creepy
Has the lake been explored before?

So, I actually briefly worked in Shompole conservancy. Blisteringly hot.

30js9dd.jpg

When I saw the OP I wondered if it might be Lake Magadi, but apparently it's Natron. I never made it quite to Natron, though the buddy I was working with had been there several times.

That whole area is a certain sort of awesome, though death is one of its prevailing characteristics. From starvation to brutal duststorms to, apparently, petrified animals. Cool place. Kind of miserable because of the heat, though.

Interesting people, too. Even though Magadi (a reasonably large town) is just a bit North, the area is socially very remote and the Maasai there are very traditional. It's like a snapshot in time.

Crazy, "blood-red." I've read about this somewhere else before, but coming up on that landscape must be really insane.

lake-natron-125255B225255D_zpsaedf53cd.jpg

I'm confused about how the river does that to the animals on branches.

The animals fall or crash into the water and die there. Some photographer retrieved the bodies and posed them on branches for the photos.

Back