Afraid Bench Press will slow my punch

Ian1983 said:
Thats why a lot of people who know what they're doing and have weight limits to stay with in research and don't put on bulk. Your thinking about people who bulk up, go up weight divisions and are slow as buggary because they haven't trainined right and shouldn't be in the higher weight class.
In 2 years of lifting I have only gone from 79 kg to 83 kg (that said I sometimes fight at 81-82).
The stiffness is because you haven't recovered full. It'd be like going to failure on push ups (only thing I can think of at the moment) in the morning and not being able o punch right in the evening and blaming the push ups for the stiffness. It is the muscle damage and lack of recovery that is to blame, not the push ups (tool) that you did.
I fight out of the minotaurs gym out of watford (UK)
Yea and what he said.

Full recovery is important as hell since your muscles probably arent healed all the way.

Boxer said:
Yes most Pro fighters do weights but they also punch bags and train alot more than we do, they also vary, wrestlers do weights like mad for strength and strikers (good ones) usually stick to the more lighter weights for getting toned routine, why do you think Tito couldnt knock out his grandmother or Couture for that matter yet Chuck can waste people in one shot.

Chuck uses weights too. From what ive read most fighters use weights, they may cycle them off in the weeks leading upto a fight or change the type of lifting they do but they do use them. As others have said its useing them properly.

Do it light weight and fast. Honestly you don't need Benches for anything. Stick to push ups, awkward objects, everything standing up.

Back