Afraid Bench Press will slow my punch

Evil Eye Gouger said:
The important thing to remember is to stick to compound movements, and use the full ROM. If you use a lot of partials and isolation, you'll lose flexibility and will likely develop useless tissue which will slow you down.

But if you lift heavy and in compound movements, you'll be fine. As long as you make boxing your priority and give it a lot more time and effort than lifting.

yup

Are you crazy? You think those biceps are huge?

He got those from rows. My arms are bigger than that and I haven't curled in 8 months.

Plum said:
There is positively nothing wrong with doing isolation excercises. They are awesome for some purposes, but like anything else, it depends what you're trying to do.

And no, doing bi's after back is not a good idea. They're too tired to get a good workout.

Wouldn't that be why you do the isolation work after the main lift. Like I do weighted dips after bench press as a assistant move to work the tri's more, from your thinking I shouldn't do that because my triceps are too tired to get a good workout and I should do them after a squat session.

ok first of all...the belfort nut hugging gets really annoying...second of all, seems like EVERY fighter does curls
vitor1.jpg

Madmick said:
Any functional strength you need from your biceps you'll get from your upper back lifting. Curling is for aesthetics; overtraining biceps, especially doing isolated movements, will tighten your biceps and add resistance to every movement involving extension of the arm (i.e. punching). What do you need big arms for in athletics? You want to work for the UFC or Calvin Klein? Make a choice. Fighting is sacrifice.

Just an asumption but could certain training methods be one of the reasons that Coleman and Randleman dont/cant throw straight punches?

killer_kicks88 said:
ok first of all...the belfort nut hugging gets really annoying...second of all, seems like EVERY fighter does curls
vitor1.jpg

well, I can't argue with that logic

Hammer curls are fine, because it really helps with the grip.

And the "well ______ does it so it's good" logic is gotta one of the naive and dumbass logic ever.

Ted-P said:
And the "well ______ does it so it's good" logic is gotta one of the naive and dumbass logic ever.

and you see, thats the genius of the comment. Its so.....basic and against normal logic, you just can't argue with it

I bet thats why it was made....pure genius

side note-I don't actually count hammer curls as isolation training, my forearms always killed after I did them (after a row session I might add) and I couldn't hold onto things proparly

Ian1983 said:
Wouldn't that be why you do the isolation work after the main lift. Like I do weighted dips after bench press as a assistant move to work the tri's more, from your thinking I shouldn't do that because my triceps are too tired to get a good workout and I should do them after a squat session.

Like I said, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I was talking about hypertrophy oriented training, should have made that clear. And for that kind of training, it's much better to do chest/bi's, back/tri's kind of thing.

Ted-P said:
Hammer curls are fine, because it really helps with the grip.

Hammer curls don't do shit for you're grip.

Plum said:
Hammer curls don't do shit for you're grip.
Interesting.

Although I'm not too fond of Coach D, I know he is a knowledgable guy who said Hammer curls help with grip.

Plum said:
Like I said, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I was talking about hypertrophy oriented training, should have made that clear. And for that kind of training, it's much better to do chest/bi's, back/tri's kind of thing.

I see.

I'm quite opposed to hypertrophy training myself (got weight classes to stay in), hence my reaction,

I guess if thats your thing why not

Ted-P said:
Interesting.

Although I'm not too fond of Coach D, I know he is a knowledgable guy who said Hammer curls help with grip.

That's nice....

Hammer curls won't do shit for your grip strenght. At least not any more than pulling excercises.

If you want to increase your grip strength, do grip specific work.

Plum said:
That's nice....

Hammer curls won't do shit for your grip strenght. At least not any more than pulling excercises.

If you want to increase your grip strength, do grip specific work.
Read the thread I showed you.

I take the word of Dan181 and Coach D combined much more seriously than what you say.

Unlike regular curls, your grip is practically worked out all the way through in hammer curls.

I'm not saying its a great exercise, but still better than regular curls.

FYI, limited ammounts of curls and incline fly's have been degayed.

Limited amounts of Curls are only degayed when you use a thickbar (2" minimum. preferably bigger).

CarnalSalvation said:
FYI, limited ammounts of curls and incline fly's have been degayed.

i didn't get the memo

Back