Afgan UFC fighter can no longer carry Afgan Flag since it is not internationally recognized anymore.

It's not a straw man when you have a number of fighters with white nationalist ties. There are definitely some who would do it. I'm sure someone would take Colby's lead.

I was demonstrating where that policy would lead with an extreme example.

That said, this is mma and geopolitics don't really need to come into play. It could make for dangerous situations for employees of the company. I get where you are coming from but I also see the UFC's side.
But what's a "White Nationalist" now. Someone who stands for the flag and can change a car tire?

It's not a straw man when you have a number of fighters with white nationalist ties. There are definitely some who would do it. I'm sure someone would take Colby's lead.

I was demonstrating where that policy would lead with an extreme example.

That said, this is mma and geopolitics don't really need to come into play. It could make for dangerous situations for employees of the company. I get where you are coming from but I also see the UFC's side.
I thinks its totally extreme to say UFC fighters would start walking out with the Nazi flag if the UFC allowed a more open policy on what flags a fighter can fly( even people with white nationalist ties hide their shit i seriously doubt anyone would walk out with a blatant Nazi flag) .

But i agree thats its not really possible and my stance is admittedly more to do with principle then what could be implemented in a professional MMA organization . At the very least it should be a case by case basis and this was clear over reach .

Anyways cheers and yes fuck Nazis haha :)

Don't see why he shouldn't be able to. It wouldn't be a smart decision but it should be his choice.

No.

If you made double what you do now, you wouldn't risk it so an idiot can fly a Nazi flag.

So, why should some business risk losing hundreds of millions in business deals to let some idiot fly a Nazi flag?

Any fighter should be able to fly whatever Flag they want regardless of political implications , history etc . Ridiculous rule but it should be pointed out the Flag he flew was installed in 2002 after the US invasion(its also an Islamist nationalist flag noobs) , theres been various Afghan national flags sense the 1920's, this seems like posturing from the UFC to not want any hot button issues and to keep things clean on ESPN . bullshit if you ask me.
I believe they established this rule last year when Edmen fought Brunson. Edmen walked out with the flag of the Republic of Artsakh which led to a complaint from the consul of Azerbaijan.

Kind of a shitty rule even though I understand why a mega-copr like the UFC would have it. Dana claims that UFC fighters have free speech or whatever but bars the fighter from engaging in meaningful, political expression.

I believe they established this rule last year when Edmen fought Brunson. Edmen walked out with the flag of the Republic of Artsakh which led to a complaint from the consul of Azerbaijan.

Kind of a shitty rule even though I understand why a mega-copr like the UFC would have it. Dana claims that UFC fighters have free speech or whatever but bars the fighter from engaging in meaningful, political expression.
Great point i had been reminded of that when someone posted it but didnt make the connection that they probably made that rule then . Not surprising in the slightest as you said but just another control lever of the UFC machine . Its interesting how sanitized and apolitical the org is despite Dana Whites right-wing politics . It really is a faceless mega corporation trying to appeal to everyone in the world with their brand and across almost all nations . Theres a metaphor for capitalism at large in that contradiction .

Great point i had been reminded of that when someone posted it but didnt make the connection that they probably made that rule then . Not surprising in the slightest as you said but just another control lever of the UFC machine . Its interesting how sanitized and apolitical the org is despite Dana Whites right-wing politics . It really is a faceless mega corporation trying to appeal to everyone in the world with their brand and across almost all nations . Theres a metaphor for capitalism at large in that contradiction .

Good points.

All fighters should be allowed to walk out with banners again and make some money.

Or walk out with the Genki Sudo we are all one flag.

Good thread. Was wondering about this during the card. He had no flag by his name and it looked like somebody forgot to put one in there. Thought it was a production mistake.

It's a slippery slope, how far should the 'political expression' go? Cool to carry Nazi flag in the cage? No such thing as 'absolute freedom of speech/expression' and turds who think they're free as shit (mostly fuk yeh mericans) need to ackowledge that.

It's a slippery slope, how far should the 'political expression' go? Cool to carry Nazi flag in the cage? No such thing as 'absolute freedom of speech/expression' and turds who think they're free as shit (mostly fuk yeh mericans) need to ackowledge that.
I get that but they allow Covington to say some really over the top and offensive shit but a dude like Edmen who wants' to represent an oppressed and beleaguered minority republic gets his Reebok bucks taken and is forced to apologize. Again I get why they UFC has that particular form of political correctness but I think its stupid.

Why would anyone be proud of being from Afghanistan right now anyway? Seems like that would be in bad taste.

Afghanistan doesn't even see itself as a country like we think of countries in the west. It is just a loose organization of tribes.

Some have been known to do that.
Some have been known to drink water as well. Calling someone a "white nationalist" now is like calling someone a Racist. The words have become so diluted now and have lost their power.

The new flag is the Taliban flag.

It represents terrorism and tyranny.

And the old flag represented corruption, little boy sex slave traficking with US blessings, forced "virginity tests" on rape victims performed by an all-male staff, drone struck weddings, US trained death squads mowing down teenage boys by the dozens, and cab drivers tortured to death for a few bucks. So sad that noble dream died.

Last edited:
I get that but they allow Covington to say some really over the top and offensive shit but a dude like Edmen who wants' to represent an oppressed and beleaguered minority republic gets his Reebok bucks taken and is forced to apologize. Again I get why they UFC has that particular form of political correctness but I think its stupid.

Your post pretty much proves why the UFC is correct in their policy: While it is true that Artsakh represented an "oppressed minority", it is also true that the Republic of Artsakh was "founded" by military conquest in contravention of international law. Legally, and as upheld by 4 UN resolutions, the territorial rights lie with Azerbaijan, which is why the international community had such a hard time condemning Aliyev even though his soldiers were committing a string of atrocities in their reconquest of Artsakh.

In other words, by allowing him to fly that flag, the UFC would have actively endorsed a contravention of international law. As an entertainment company and promoter of mixed martial arts sporting events, does opening such cans of worms make any economic, political or branding sense to you?

Back