Affordable but quality GIs?

S80

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn both BJJ and a striking art, which I generally read that BJJ or judo can tear karate/Taekwondo etc gis.

It is looking like I will need multiple gis if I get serious so what are some affordable gis for both karate and BJJ that are quality enough not to rub me raw or fall to pieces?

what do you consider affordable?

affordable as in the 50-80$ range. I might spring for a fuji however.

can sometimes get a decent gi in the 70-100 range at bjjhq.com
other than that spend the little extra and get a fuji not on sale.

Just to clarify I'm not just talking about a bjj gi, but also a karate one, although as mentioned the fuji gi looks non descriptive enough I may be able to use it for both ,the sensei allows no gi, so I could probably get away with using a bjj GI. looks pretty nice also.

One final question, the color of gi does not matter, I asked about that specifically, although a white belt looks kinda of weird on a black gi, my sweat appears to be gnarly as I get wonderful yellow sweat stains on all my white shirts even though i wash them daily so am I better off going with black?

You could consider a blue gi if you're scared of stains.

The Black Eagle Predator Basico is my recommendation for a sub-$100 gi that's nondescript and high quality.

Just a note though: features that make a BJJ gi desirable for BJJ and a karategi desirable for karate are often mutually exclusive. I'd hate doing one art in the other's gi and vice-versa.

Tatami nova

93 brand hooks

Another vote for the Tatami Nova. You shouldn't spend less than $90 for a new gi and expect it to be of high quality. But the nova is clearly a killer bang for the buck.

And just get a karate gi for karate, they're much thinner and makes it easier for you to move in them. Plus they have those strings so the gi top doesn't open up if the belt comes loose. Get the right tool for the job.

You can get a decent karate gi for much cheaper than a bjj gi. You can check kinjisan.com for karate gis and get a decent Ronin pretty cheap.

You could consider a blue gi if you're scared of stains.

The Black Eagle Predator Basico is my recommendation for a sub-$100 gi that's nondescript and high quality.

Just a note though: features that make a BJJ gi desirable for BJJ and a karategi desirable for karate are often mutually exclusive. I'd hate doing one art in the other's gi and vice-versa.

This.

BJJ gis are tailored to be more restrictive and are difficult to use in striking arts.

If you want a gi for BJJ and karate then your best bet is probably a single weave judo gi. It'll be sturdy enough for BJJ (and also be legal for BJJ competition) while also being loose enough for karate.

Lucky for you, Fuji makes a GREAT and affordable single weave judo gi.

http://www.fujisports.com/product.aspx?productid=7&pvavID=1236&qty=1

Check BJJHQ often. They had the hooks the other day for $70. You might also catch a sale on a Padilla and Sons. Good quality fairly cheap.

Fuji used to be the go-to, cheap, but quality gi. But prices have been slowly jacking up over time...

Like others said, check BJJHQ often.

Tatami Estilo 4's are decently priced and very high quality. Brands like Atama, Koral and Shoyoroll are really pricey these days.

Bjjsports new gis are completely blank and $80 + free shipping. I don't have one but I've seen one in person and it appears to be high quality. I have three Fujis and I love them, but if I were just starting out like you I'd get a bjjsports gi because they're less expensive and have no patches or embroidery

Back