AEW XXXI: The Gods of Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were on the air for 6 years, and RAWs ratings were about twice as high at the time too. So it is a really stupid comparson. Especially because they lost almost half their viewers the next week

I don't agree, TNA had a product that people watched and eventually left, so did WWE. Both companies failed to capitalize on maintaining their audience and drawing new fans. AEW is alright at it, but it still doesn't mean dick. Nobody knows what the fuck AEW is outside of wrestling fans.

I don't agree, TNA had a product that people watched and eventually left, so did WWE. Both companies failed to capitalize on maintaining their audience and drawing new fans. AEW is alright at it, but it still doesn't mean dick. Nobody knows what the fuck AEW is outside of wrestling fans.
What's the number man and source if you can

I'm not comparing them to WWE, neither is our friend so I want to here what's the highest number they achieved and how long they took to achieve the number in comparison to AEW
Quick google says 1.45 from Meltzer, but I don't remember that being correct. Under the Cornette or one of the Russo Era's I'm pretty sure they did a 2.+

I'm not comparing them to WWE, neither is our friend so I want to here what's the highest number they achieved and how long they took to achieve the number in comparison to AEW
It was a 1.45 million viewers It was booked as the return of the Monday Night wars. They stacked it with every big name they could get, and the show was terrible.

After being on the air for 6 years

And this was 10 years ago.

It was a 1.45 million viewers It was booked as the return of the Monday Night wars. They stacked it with every big name they could get, and the show was terrible.

After being on the air for 6 years

And this was 10 years ago.

That show did a 2.2

They had a run where they consistently got over a 1.0 before then too, and yes it was a long time ago but it still drew viewers.

Either way, if you feel its irrelevant its fine. AEW still has a lot of shit workers. That's my biggest problem.

That show did a 2.2

They had a run where they consistently got over a 1.0 before then too, and yes it was a long time ago but it still drew viewers.
So you're talking about this

New York, NY, January 5, 2010 ? Hulk Hogan’s first appearance on Spike TV’s special three-hour live “TNA iMPACT” on Monday, January 2 (8:00-11:05pm) drew 2.2 million viewers. This marks the most-watched “TNA iMPACT” in the history of the franchise, totaling 222 episodes dating back to October, 2005. The previous high was 1.97 million viewers reached last April

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...-impact-delivers-highest-ratings-ever-524551/

It took them five years to pop 2.2mil.

AEW in two years is at 1.1m Let's see what the ratings do if CM Punk and Bryan actually sign.

That show did a 2.2

Either way, if you feel its irrelevant its fine. AEW still has a lot of shit workers. That's my biggest problem.
I am still not sure what you are trying to get at?

There are less overall viewers today, and ratings are done differently.

We can also compare PPV buyrates, in which AEW blew TNA out of the water with before AEW was even a show.

So you're talking about this

New York, NY, January 5, 2010 ? Hulk Hogan’s first appearance on Spike TV’s special three-hour live “TNA iMPACT” on Monday, January 2 (8:00-11:05pm) drew 2.2 million viewers. This marks the most-watched “TNA iMPACT” in the history of the franchise, totaling 222 episodes dating back to October, 2005. The previous high was 1.97 million viewers reached last April

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...-impact-delivers-highest-ratings-ever-524551/

It took them five years to pop 2.2mil.

AEW in two years is at 1.1m Let's see what the ratings do if CM Punk and Bryan actually sign.
Bryan and Punk might get a pop but it'll go away. Theyre a nostalgia act at best IMO. Punk killed off anything he had losing in the UFC. If one person mentions it in a promo he's DOA.

I am still not sure what you are trying to get at?

There are less overall viewers today, and ratings are done differently.

We can also compare PPV buyrates, in which AEW blew TNA out of the water with before AEW was even a show.
PPV isn't even close, you're right on that.

Bryan and Punk might get a pop but it'll go away. Theyre a nostalgia act at best IMO. Punk killed off anything he had losing in the UFC. If one person mentions it in a promo he's DOA.

PPV isn't even close, you're right on that.
I agree with Punk. I believe Punk is washed and he looked like shit before he left WWE. He was in the worst shape of his life, he looked like a disheveled Wolverwine and was pale in the face. How much of that was self sabotage to get a release and how much of just him looking like shit? I'm not sure.

As far as Danielson goes, I think he will yield the company more value in the ring and out of it. He has a true passion for wrestling and he can still go. It shows. Even with his fucked up neck.

MMA won't matter in wrestling. Most guys don't have the balls to try it. Nonetheless everyone saw what happened and he still has a buzz. I just don't think CM punk will be the same after a 7 year layoff. He was a sloppy wrestler in his prime, I can't imagine him being a better wrestler or retaining the same attributes 7 years later. I'm sorry. I don't hate the guy, I'm just being realistic. People really forget how shit the guy looked on his way out.

I agree with Punk. I believe Punk is washed and he looked like shit before he left WWE. He was in the worst shape of his life, he looked like a disheveled Wolverwine and was pale in the face. How much of that was self sabotage to get a release and how much of just him looking like shit? I'm not sure.

As far as Danielson goes, I think he will yield the company more value in the ring and out of it. He has a true passion for wrestling and he can still go. It shows. Even with his fucked up neck.

MMA won't matter in wrestling. Most guys don't have the balls to try it. Nonetheless everyone saw what happened and he still has a buzz. I just don't think CM punk will be the same after a 7 year layoff. He was a sloppy wrestler in his prime, I can't imagine him being a better wrestler or retaining the same 7 years later. I'm sorry. I don't hate the guy, I'm just being realistic. People really forget how shit the guy looked on his way out.

Part of the reason wrestling doesn't draw is because kayfabe's been battered into the ground and nothing is believable. Brock winning the UFC HW Title was important and so was Lashley's success in MMA. CM Punk looking like a geek didn't do anything but destroy pro wrestler reputations. Ronda moving to WWE did nothing for them, she was a washed fighter and nobody cared.

I doubt American Dragon changes much, I just hope to see him vs Tanahashi again or Shingo.

Part of the reason wrestling doesn't draw is because kayfabe's been battered into the ground and nothing is believable. Brock winning the UFC HW Title was important and so was Lashley's success in MMA. CM Punk looking like a geek didn't do anything but destroy pro wrestler reputations. Ronda moving to WWE did nothing for them, she was a washed fighter and nobody cared.
lol Lashley's success or lack thereof didn't really do a dent in the wrestling world, much less the MMA world. If you ask the casual fan that watch wrestling, they won't even know that lashley was an mma fighter. I think you are givivng the wrestling community a little too much credit. A lot of wrestling fans aren't smart marks as you might think they are. I can't tell you how many people I asked at live shows did they watch the ppv last night and how many said no.

In the case of CM punk, I guarantee you no one is going to care he cannot fight in an mma fight if he can still go. I don't think he can go in the ring. Did you forget Bastista's MMA matches? Of course you did. Batista sucked at MMA. He had a competitive fight with a fatty on the regional scene.

lol Lashley's success or lack thereof didn't really do a dent in the wrestling world, much less the MMA world. If you ask the casual fan that watch wrestling, they won't even know that lashley was an mma fighter. I think you are givivng the wrestling community a little too much credit. A lot of wrestling fans aren't smart marks as you might think they are. I can't tell you how many people I asked at live shows did they watch the ppv last night and how many said no.

In the case of CM punk, I guarantee you no one is going to care he cannot fight in an mma fight if he can still go. I don't think he can go in the ring. Did you forget Bastista's MMA matches? Of course you did. Batista sucked at MMA. He had a competitive fight with a fatty.

I disagree, it's not how popular something is. It's about believability. It doesn't matter how wise people are to the business. Believability is key. Nobody on RAW, Smackdown, or AEW is believable.

I didn't forget Batista, he won, it was a shit fight, but he won.

I disagree, it's not how popular something is. It's about believability. It doesn't matter how wise people are to the business. Believability is key. Nobody on RAW, Smackdown, or AEW is believable.

I didn't forget Batista, he won, it was a shit fight, but he won.
Who's believable in wrestling in your opinion?

Who's believable in wrestling in your opinion?
Now? Damn near nothing. Feuds happening on TV have people congratulating each other on twitter. Wrestlers are shown to be friends outside of the ring. It's just a joke now. It's just bad theater anymore. The best thing happened tonight with Matt Cardona keeping kayfabe alive with his shit talking and he got a good reaction tonight in GCW. That shit is lost in the business.

Now? Damn near nothing. Feuds happening on TV have people congratulating each other on twitter. Wrestlers are shown to be friends outside of the ring. It's just a joke now. It's just bad theater anymore. The best thing happened tonight with Matt Cardona keeping kayfabe alive with his shit talking and he got a good reaction tonight in GCW. That shit is lost in the business.
You said Lashley's MMA career brought believably to his earlier character, but you don't mention it now. It doesn't play a role into people believing into his character now??

Do you think Matt Cardona can beat Roman Reigns in a real fight? Do you think if you were to ask people walking around who looks more threatening, Roman Reigns or Matt Cardona? What will they tell you? That first time viewer tuning in, who looks more believable out of the two?

Are you going to say to them, Matt Cardona talks tough online, so I think he's tougher?

Glad i dont have to see puke and bryan stupid yes chants on wwe anymore. Aew however takes a dive in my book. They better push hangman page and jungle boy.

Is somebody actually trying to say TNA was more popular than AEW? TNA couldn't even sell enough tickets to go on the road for their TV tapings on a regular basis. Their PPVs where doing worse than Dynamite's regular TV tapings in attendance. TNA's highest PPV buyrate was like half AEW's normal PPV. Sure, TNA had higher ratings, so you have a product people would consume for free, but wouldn't spend any money on. Nevermind the TV audience was completely different 15 years ago.

Their PPVs where doing worse than Dynamite's regular TV tapings in attendance.

I remember back in 2012 when I first moved here to Phoenix, TNA did Bound For Glory here which is basically their Wrestlemania, and they did it in a 7,000 seat arena and sold like 2,000. The show had Sting, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc. and tickets were dirt cheap and nobody gave a fuck. Phoenix is even a good city that shows up for wrestling too where WWE has held Wrestlemania and just 2 years ago filled their baseball stadium with 48,000 for the Royal Rumble and TNA still couldn't draw for their biggest show of the year.

The sad thing is 2,000 was great attendance for them <Lmaoo>

I remember back in 2012 when I first moved here to Phoenix, TNA did Bound For Glory here which is basically their Wrestlemania, and they did it in a 7,000 seat arena and sold like 2,000. The show had Sting, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc. and tickets were dirt cheap and nobody gave a fuck. Phoenix is even a good city that shows up for wrestling too where WWE has held Wrestlemania and just 2 years ago filled their baseball stadium with 48,000 for the Royal Rumble and TNA still couldn't draw for their biggest show of the year.

The sad thing is 2,000 was great attendance for them <Lmaoo>

In 2009, they went to Irvine, California for Bound for Glory. Teased Sting's retirement and did 2400 with paper. They had sold 850 tickets a week before the show, for the biggest show of the year with Sting's potential retirement. AEW went to the MGM Grand in 2019 for Double or Nothing and sold 11,000 seats. To compare these 2 companies is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back