Economy Advocates say Canadians struggling with rising food costs need help from government

Lol well your first mistake is shopping at Save On Foods. I used to work for overwaitea long ago and their entire business model is basically just "rely on people being too rich or lazy to comparison shop".

thrifty >>>

for the nanaimo bars alone

I'm guessing it would go along the lines of:

Government: [Wilfully crashes the economy with Covid closures and money printing]

Government: So, we've decided to give you UBI! Aren't we nice?
But, there's the small matter of you signing up to our [takes breath]... biometric Digital ID total surveillance caste/slavery system that will record everything you do and trap you in an inescapable nightmare dictated by your social credit score for the rest of your life.
We hate to do it but we have no choice, see, we've gotta prevent, uh, fraud and all that. Rest assured, the dystopia is very secure AND convenient!

Lol why are you not eating then? You are paying less than people were before inflation started going nuts.

And how the heck do you get 40% off from such a cheapskate corporation? 40% discount is just ridiculous from a grocery store. I remember employees getting absolutely NOTHING and being like criminally prosecuted for eating a single jelly bean from the bulk aisle haha. It's a well oiled machine but cheap as fuk and pretty ruthless. They basically have a fake "non striking" union that is run by Jim Pattison's nephew or some shit.

You know how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer? Know some people in high places haha (they are rich not me)

I'm guessing the false part is the actual point of the article which is the idea the government needs to set higher wages so people can afford the higher costs of living. TS does't like the idea of people getting ahead, he'd rather Trudeau deliver bags of rice to their doorstep like Chairman Xi does for him and the other slaves during their monthly lockdown.
Mandating hover pay isn’t a way to get it to work. I’d like people to ask more, but unilaterally doing it has been very unsuccessful in many cases. Especially if there is international competition. You need to safeguard people from massive outsourcing and foreign competition, before you can raise wages

Fantastic idea. But Perhaps you should inform the government, who has already stated doubling immigration was done specifically to curb Wage inflation(I.E paying people more)

In theory it should have that effect, but I think the real wage elasticity of immigration is probably pretty hard to establish because it varies from industry to industry and from region to region. The tailwinds increased supply of immigrants provides is a more important driving force for the economy imo.

I'm not an economist but my sense is that that inflation is peaking pretty soon if not already. So I would not touch wages as of right now rather would hope to ride it out.

Last edited:
Mandating hover pay isn’t a way to get it to work. I’d like people to ask more, but unilaterally doing it has been very unsuccessful in many cases. Especially if there is international competition. You need to safeguard people from massive outsourcing and foreign competition, before you can raise wages

Ideally the government really shouldn't be in the business of managing any of that stuff imo, but in Canada there are some other considerations like there is a really really tight labor market and worker shortages are now causing issues. Not going to pretend like I have the answers to all that stuff like wages, outsourcing, migration, automation, etc.. Canada does need more workers and it does need to be more competitive globally but doing those things can also have downsides... so there is no easy answers I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Ideally the government really shouldn't be in the business of managing any of that stuff imo, but in Canada there are some other considerations like there is really really a tight labour market and worker shortages are now causing issues. Not going to pretend like I have the answers to all that stuff like wages, outsourcing, migration, automation, etc.. Canada does need more workers and it does need to be more competitive globally but doing those things can also have downsides... so there is no easy answers I'm afraid.
That’s why I’m saying simply decreeing that the minimum wage should be higher, doesn’t necessarily mean peoples living standards will rise. As you noted there are tons of other factors and variables. Making it hard for a simple law without side rails or whatever amplify you want.
Especially from such a valid hallow leadership that Canada has now

That’s why I’m saying simply decreeing that the minimum wage should be higher, doesn’t necessarily mean peoples living standards will rise. As you noted there are tons of other factors and variables. Making it hard for a simple law without side rails or whatever amplify you want.
Especially from such a valid hallow leadership that Canada has now

I tend to agree unless they are so low they can't provide for the basics. And by that I mean a roof over your head, a decent meal in your tummy, and not much else beyond that.

The provinces set the wages in most industries, not the federal government.. But the federal gov should do stuff like tax credits or whatever for lower income earners, which it has done some of. I think that is a better approach. I belive an economist in the article mentions this as well, basically it should be fine to stimulate a little just don't over do it.

I tend to agree unless they are so low they can't provide for the basics. And by that I mean a roof over your head, a decent meal in your tummy, and not much else beyond that.

The provinces set the wages in most industries, not the federal government.. But the federal gov should do stuff like tax credits or whatever for lower income earners, which it has done some of. I think that is a better approach. I belive an economist in the article mentions this as well, basically it should be fine to stimulate a little just don't over do it.
That would make sense
I always felt an actual progressive tax should be implemented. Basically how much you pay your employees based on how much you make within the country should be the scale. Someone drop shipping Chinese stuff off of Amazon should pay very high taxes due to their business doing nothing positive for the nation, wages wise. While Costco paying well and giving good benefits to its workers should pay less. The govt can incentivize good behavior. It’s amazing it never even tries to

That would make sense
I always felt an actual progressive tax should be implemented. Basically how much you pay your employees based on how much you make within the country should be the scale. Someone drop shipping Chinese stuff off of Amazon should pay very high taxes due to their business doing nothing positive for the nation, wages wise. While Costco paying well and giving good benefits to its workers should pay less. The govt can incentivize good behavior. It’s amazing it never even tries to

Thing is the dropshippers would just incorporate somewhere more friendly and you will lose out on the tax revenue entirely. Taxing entrepreneurs more is never the answer. Drop shipping is actually a great springboard for other business ventures and has low entry barriers. Nothing wrong with it it is a legitimate business as are many others that rely on automation or outsourcing. Government really should not be messing with the economy like that imo.

Thing is the dropshippers would just incorporate somewhere more friendly and you will lose out on the tax revenue entirely. Taxing entrepreneurs more is never the answer. Drop shipping is actually a great springboard for other business ventures ad has low barriers to enter. Nothing wrong with it it is a legitimate business as are many others that rely on automation or outsourcing. Government really should not be messing with the economy like that.
Ok a different example. Taxing Walmart more than Costco. Everything else I said still applies. You have, say one million of revenue per employee at Walmart and workers make far less than Costco workers for the same revenue, so Costco pays less in taxes

I'm guessing it would go along the lines of:

Government: [Wilfully crashes the economy with Covid closures and money printing]

Government: So, we've decided to give you UBI! Aren't we nice?
But, there's the small matter of you signing up to our [takes breath]... biometric Digital ID total surveillance caste/slavery system that will record everything you do and trap you in an inescapable nightmare dictated by your social credit score for the rest of your life.
We hate to do it but we have no choice, see, we've gotta prevent, uh, fraud and all that. Rest assured, the dystopia is very secure AND convenient!

This. Make'em poor, starve them, take away ability to buy or rent a home, break their spirits, and they'll beg for help, even if it comes with a surveillance state. Throw these politicians in prison!

We shouldn't have to ask for government for help. Government should stop stealing wealth from their people via excessive taxation and inflation. Cut taxes and stop printing money.
Tax breaks would be the quickest and most impactful way the Government could help...

Back