advice with using the bench for squats

Get a smaller bed, get rid of all the other useless stuff cluttering up your space, and put a power cage in your bedroom. Priorities man, priorities.

I don't have a power rack at the moment because I just moved. I am doing Front Squats instead. I'd rather be doing Back Squats if I could, but I can't. I have a bench just like you, but I would not do what you are doing personally. Just do Front Squats until you find another gym or move, simple as that.

The only other thing that I can think of is to start convincing the owner of the gym that you are at now to get a power rack in there, and how it would be beneficial to his/her other members. Are there other people in that gym that have issues with there not being a power rack, too? You guys could all ban together to either (a) get the thing in there or (b) split the cost and then you'd just have to convince them to let them put it in their gym.

The bench idea sounds scary since it's not really that safe. I don't know how much you're squatting, but I cannot imagine how this isn't dangerous. Maybe if you have side spotters but still.

I used to live in a studio- 1 bath, 1 kitchen. I put a half rack in there and it took up about a third of the place, if not half. My gf put up with it. Here's what a half rack would look like:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/96031.html

If not you could use 2 saw horses like constructions guys use.

if you have no other options, squatting too high is better than not squatting at all

True. You are not the only person who has done this exercise. I read once about an Olympic skier who would squat 400 over the bench.

TS, I also do not have a squat rack and am in a similar position of not having gym's very close to where I live or work. What I do is do hack squats until I can get myself a squat rack. I also do front squats and zercher squats. I put the bar on my bench and squat down far enough to hook the bar in my arms. I then back out like you were saying. This should be good enough until you can find or buy a squat rack.

Back