ADVICE PLEASE: Cleveland Ohio MMA/BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sb413197, Sep 29, 2010.

1. sb413197

sb413197 Red Belt

I recently moved to Cleveland Heights (Cleveland Ohio) and I'm interested in getting back into doing some martial arts again. I have a particular special interest in submission wrestling and I see there is a Relson Gracie academy here - does anyone have any experience with it or with other gyms in the area?

I would also be interested in a place that is open to kids training and has a friendly group of guys, I have 2 sons that are very young (2 and 4 years old) and I think it would be cool if they could train also as they get older. I don't have much interest in actually competing in MMA right now but I would be interested in training in a gym that teaches a variety of disciplines, perhaps an MMA gym or a BJJ gym with some expanded training focus? Competing in a submission wrestling tournament/BJJ tournament sounds like fun though, I always enjoyed this aspect of training the most. I have a busy job as a physician which somewhat limits the time I can train but I still would like to get back into it.

I'm pretty much a beginner; I trained a little in years back, mostly in mui thai, submission wrestling (mostly BJJ based), and a random assortment of other stuff from various disciplines but I don't have much experience really so I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

I train at Relson Gracie Cleveland and you are always welcome to come. I live in lyndhurst and its not a bad drive. We are strictly BJJ though and you will not get MMA training or anything. We do have kids classes but I am pretty sure 2-4 isn't in the age group.

Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy - Cleveland, Ohio

There is a BJJ school in cleveland heights on mayfield road if you want something really close.

Also Ricardo Pires teaches in beachwood ohio about 15 min away.