Advice on walk around/ibjjf competition weight

cafe637

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5'7 172 lbs. with gi on 176. I'm trying to determine the best weight to walk around and compete in considering my height. When I started BJJ, I weighed about 195. At my last competition I competed at middleweight whitebelt senior1. By the third match, I felt sluggish. I also noticed that some of the guys in that weight range are taller than me. One factor to consider is that I'm a police officer and I need to be able to handle myself, i.e. strength and stamina. My concern is that if I drop to far my strength may suffer. I'm thinking that I should probably be around 160 for future tournaments and on a daily basis. Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends a lot on your build and what feels best for you. Hard to base it off height alone. I'm 5'11" and compete around 150 but a guy I train with is 5'7" and 190 and wins purple belt divisions.

I'm 5'7 172 lbs. with gi on 176. I'm trying to determine the best weight to walk around and compete in considering my height. When I started BJJ, I weighed about 195. At my last competition I competed at middleweight whitebelt senior1. By the third match, I felt sluggish. I also noticed that some of the guys in that weight range are taller than me. One factor to consider is that I'm a police officer and I need to be able to handle myself, i.e. strength and stamina. My concern is that if I drop to far my strength may suffer. I'm thinking that I should probably be around 160 for future tournaments and on a daily basis. Any advice would be appreciated.

No Disrespect, because it's great that you are competing. But at the level you are competing, your weight class is not going to be terribly relevant. The difference between a WB 38 y/o old that weighs 167 and a WB 38 y/o that weighs 180 is not going to matter that much.

And you were not sluggish by the third match because of your weight, you were sluggish because of your conditioning. If you get in better shape, you will be less sluggish regardless of your weight. Though weighing a little less might be a natural result of the extra conditioning.

Right now, your just better off worrying abut technique and skill.

I Compete compete in Bluebelt Senior 2 either Super-Heavy (208-221) or Ultra heavy (Over 221). I have only been a BB for a little over a year, but I am often more competitive at the Ultra Heavy class even though I only weigh around 230-232 when I compete because conditioning pretty much plays a role in that division from the very first match. Though there is a very large range of skill at the Blue belt level as well. I can sub a guy in 30 seconds in one match then get subbed just as fast in the next one.

Last edited:
You can definitely do lightweight if you want (167 w/gi). You could also stay at middleweight, but bulk up to like 190, then cut back down to have much more muscle at middle. A good nutrition program can make you strong at either weight.

If being overall bigger is a concern for you for the sake of being a police officer, get on a good nutrition plan and bulk up, then cut to be a more in-shape middleweight.

Holy shit...I'm a 5 07 cop that's 167. Interesting.

I used to walk around at 180 and lean. After an acl surgery, I lost around 15 pounds. Competed at that weight and felt better there.

I never get out of shape. Walk around at 167 to 170 now.

I'm a conditioning fanatic though. I'm out skilled by a lot of my partners, but never out conditioned.

No Disrespect, because it's great that you are competing. But at the level you are competing, your weight class is not going to be terribly relevant. The difference between a WB 38 y/o old that weighs 167 and a WB 38 y/o that weighs 180 is not going to matter that much.

And you were not sluggish by the third match because of your weight, you were sluggish because of your conditioning. If you get in better shape, you will be less sluggish regardless of your weight. Though weighing a little less might be a natural result of the extra conditioning.

Right now, your just better off worrying abut technique and skill.

I Compete compete in Bluebelt Senior 2 either Super-Heavy (208-221) or Ultra heavy (Over 221). I have only been a BB for a little over a year, but I am often more competitive at the Ultra Heavy class even though I only weigh around 230-232 when I compete because conditioning pretty much plays a role in that division from the very first match. Though there is a very large range of skill at the Blue belt level as well. I can sub a guy in 30 seconds in one match then get subbed just as fast in the next one.

This.

I am an LEO as well, as I understand your desire to be able to "handle yourself." I'm ~210 at the moment, and if I really wanted to be a competitive combat sport athlete, I would need to be much lighter. I've cut to 178 for a boxing match, but doubt I ever will again. If I'm not going to compete at a professional level, I am not going to sacrifice my desired body composition too much.

Last edited:
There is no ideal height/weight ratio. Some fuckers are good because they are tall, others are good because they are short. My guess is that if you had a real caliper test done by a professional, your ideal competition weight would be around 154. Getting a 38 year old cop to get his body into real athlete levels is a lot to ask. Losing fat isnt going to affect your strength levels.

If you could get your BF down and walk around at about 160, then 154 would be a good weight to go. If thats too much, then you are basically already walking around at close to tournament weight.

Back