Advice on training for car lifting.

I would be sure to train your grip well. I think deads from different heights and Thick bar hold will help. Also try to learn the technique. If you are doing it franco style, check out how he hitches it on his thighs while he moves it. If you are doing it for a comp, try different grip and height deads withthick bars. I've never done this so please realize that these are just my opinion. Please keep us posted on how it goes though. It sounds like something that could be fun. If you figure it out, or any other tricks, please let us know also. Good Luck!

Universal said:
Does anybody know aproximately what a pool tables weighs?
Having worked for a moving company for years I can say without a doubt that some of the pool tables we moved weighed in the vicinity of 450 lbs. and I think I'm guessing on the low end. The slate in them is extremely heavy. However the cheaply made ones may weigh alot less, I'm not sure on that. But the full size slate ones are very heavy.

high pulls and power cleans,and some dynamic work

JACKC said:
high pulls and power cleans,and some dynamic work
I'm not saying you are wrong, but please explain how these exercises would help specificaly in moving a car. Thanks.

they build expolsive power i'd also do cable pull throughs- lifting heavy is all about speed to a point thats why west side has speed days-i'd do these exercises on different days working them in with rack pulls,sumo deads,glute ham raises,bar holds, plate pinches etc...sometimes you need to go out side the box-

After work and drunk one night. myself and two friends decided to flip our friends car on its side. As an experienced car flipper I would say the hardest part of flipping a car is the transition from the deadlift type portion of the flip to the getting your arms in the clean position to push the car over (although the car was no match for the three of us at a combined weight of 840 lbs). For that transition I would work on cleans, power cleans, front squats, zercher deadlifts, and maybe even really heavy cheater curls.

Lifting a car is equal to the following lifts.
1 DEADLIFT to lift the car off the ground
2 a CLEAN similar to the clean used by stongmen on the log press would get you into a squat position and get your arms up and ready to push.
3 FRONT SQUAT combined with a PRESS that is somewhere between an INCLINE BENCH and an OVERHEAD PRESS to drive the car up and over.

It also helps to be drunk.

Thanx Sambo
Makes alot of sense and I appreciate the reply, but I'm not looking to flip anything over.
Just want to move some cars arround a la Franco Colombu.

I know that a back end lift is on average 550 lbs but you need to get a deeper grip as to not tear the bumper off, so that would change the mechanics of the lift due to the lower stance.

Universal said:
Thanx Sambo
Makes alot of sense and I appreciate the reply, but I'm not looking to flip anything over.
Just want to move some cars arround a la Franco Colombu.

I know that a back end lift is on average 550 lbs but you need to get a deeper grip as to not tear the bumper off, so that would change the mechanics of the lift due to the lower stance.
Oh. I thought you wanted to flip cars stongman style...

Depending on the size car you're planning on lifting, I'd say picking up smaller copact cars to build up to a larger one. Deadlifts, anything for the back, grip machine. Shoulder presses. Cleans.

Back