Advice on squats and deadlifts

OK, I actually did look at your "Location" to see where you were from, but it didn't give me any clue. I've heard people use the term "heaps" before so that didn't register, either. I suggest getting more weights if there really isn't a better (or cheaper) gym around. If you can, just train when the people downstairs are at work. Otherwise, take them outside for DL...think of all the extra endurance you'll get from carrying the weights up & down the stairs :D

Well I know that the best thing would be joining a gym, but when you consider how much it cost to join and how many times I could go a week it's really a waste of money.

I also live in an apartment so I can't get heaps of weights.

So basically all you guys are confirming that doing many reps won't help me build strength?
I guess at least it's good for endurance, which you need when wrestling.

I lift at home on 2nd floor. The construction of the building is terrible, so I can hear it very well when children of the people living above me are kicking a ball against the wall, or just running around. The floors are just really weak, and I'm confident that if a weight like 135lbs fell from the distance of a failed snatch, at least the plates would make a hole in the floor, the bar would probably stop it from falling down all the way to the basement.

I can do squats with sawhorses without any problems, and even deadlifts, if I have the energy and will to lower the weight slowly enough (it takes as much as 5seconds). I just don't do stuff like cleans, jerks, snatches, overhead squats, etc. because those can be hard to keep a hold of when you fail them. Even stuff like pushpresses are something that I'm nervous about, so I'm really careful with them too - it's probably silly, because unlike all the other "dangerous" lifts, if I fail a pushpress, the bar will quite surely be caught by the sawhorses... but you never know.

Obvious answer, sprint up and down the stairs until you feel like your legs can't carry you anymore, then squat your 66lbs. SIMPLES

Bears are an excellent source of conditioning and strength training. At first you will have to try to outrun the bears, which will give you good cardio. Once your confidence builds you might wrestle bears to a draw, which will give muscular endurance - they are tough sunz. With even more training you will be able to kill the bears, sling them over your shoulders and squat them. At this point, you should also consume the bear for protein. The strongest guys kill two bears at once, impale them on a barbell and squat with the barbell.

Bears are an excellent source of conditioning and strength training. At first you will have to try to outrun the bears, which will give you good cardio. Once your confidence builds you might wrestle bears to a draw, which will give muscular endurance - they are tough sunz. With even more training you will be able to kill the bears, sling them over your shoulders and squat them. At this point, you should also consume the bear for protein. The strongest guys kill two bears at once, impale them on a barbell and squat with the barbell.

You would have to impale 2 equally sized bears for that to be safe or you might end up hurting your back.

Ohhh, I box kangaroos and wrestle crocs all the time, so my technique and endurance is pretty good :)

As others have said - get some real weights.

BUT til then do everything unilaterally!

One-legged deadlifts, one-legged squats, do curls with the plates! (this will help your forearm/grip strength too) etc etc.

and $500 for 6 months? I paid that for 18 months at my gym.
Whereabouts in Oz do you live?

Back