Advice on routine to help my BJJ training

Goat Meal

Shhh Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Height: 6'5''
Weight: 205'ish
Goal: Increase max strength
Experience: I've never stuck with a weight lifting program for long. Back in 2005 when Carnal was still around I got myself in gear by starting a Squat/Bench/Deadlift regimen but due to laziness got out of it after a few months. Since I have tried re-starting something similar a half-dozen times but never followed through with it.

I train BJJ 3-4 times a week and wrestling once. BJJ practice usually lasts 2.5 hours and besides technique training consists a lot of calisthenics, bear crawls, burpees, etc, etc. Usually about 30-40 minutes worth at the beginning of class as a "warm-up".

Sunday -
3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Pull-ups/pull-downs (my pulling is very weak, so sometimes I have to incorporate pull-downs to get in more volume)
1 x 5 Dead lift

Monday -
BJJ 2.5 hours

Tuesday -
Off

Wednesday -
BJJ 2.5 hours
Wrestling 1 hour

Thursday -
3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Bench
1 x 5 Dead lift

Friday -
Off

Saturday -
BJJ 1-2 hours depending on how many people show up to roll

First and foremost, I want to do whatever I can to improve my grappling for competitions. Is two days a week enough to positively impact my strength passed newbie gains? Is two days a week too much?

Thanks for the help. Any improvements to my routine would also be helpful.

Experience: I've never stuck with a weight lifting program for long. Back in 2005 when Carnal was still around I got myself in gear by starting a Squat/Bench/Deadlift regimen but due to laziness got out of it after a few months. Since I have tried re-starting something similar a half-dozen times but never followed through with it.

If you can fix this part, the rest of your program looks fine, though you might consider the alternating workouts in the FAQ.

30-40 min of calisthenics every practice? that would be annoying.

IMO it would be a good idea to rotate the press and the bench press. The overhead press moves the triceps through a much larger range of motion, and is better for building explosive pushing strength. The bench's high point is the ability to load it a lot heavier than a press, at the expense of tricep ROM. Both have their advantages, I would find a way to stick them both in there.

I'd do the 2 day split from the FAQ. Personally I like doing the deadlifts 3x3 instead of 3x5. Two days/week is definitely enough to get stronger.

For the two day split it's recommended to do 5x5 or 3x5 for all the lifts and also try to add +5 lb every time you lift.

- Two day split:

Day one:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Day two:
Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

Back