advice on grappling art.

WALKERmma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi i currently train muay thai and boxing and was wondering which grappling art to choose my choices are bjj and judo i am planing on doing both but its just finding the time so which one should i do first ?

which one do you think is best for beginers ? what are there grading systems ?

thanks in advance :)

personally id go with bjj...i go to a gym that has boxing/kickboxing/thai boxing/wrestling/bjj combined.mon wed fri are stand up days and mix all different forms of stand up together and vary class to class and tues and thurs are ground days which is mainly wrestling and bjj..if you arent able to find a gym that offers multiple disciplines like i have found i would go with bjj because alot of instructors are able to help you translate bjj to your overall mma game like mixing in strikes, when to strike, when not to strike, takedowns etc..i have taken classes in judo for 6 months and in my experience the lessons were based on judo only, not in relation to mma which is what i wanted to learn it for.I have heard that some bjj classes are like that as well but not that I have attended. If your focus is solely on learning that specific discipline then that style would work best for you. Also, some people believe that the terms jiu-jitsu and judo are interchangable and there definately are similarities.they both utilize joint locks and chokes.judo does have some cool throws but like i said some bjj instructors may have that knowledge as well.I personally would lean towards a jiu-jitsu class but my advice would be to check out both places and see where you fit in the best with your own personal goals. Alot of gyms offer a free week so take advantage of that if possible and find out first hand which one interests you the most

Try both and see what you like best. See what works best with your finances, boxing/muay thai schedule, etc. If you're planning to fight mma then i'd learn towards bjj in my opinion.

BJJ for ground control and submissions and either Wrestling or Judo for take downs.

judo to take em down and bjj once they get there

Nobody is answering your questions. I'll try.

Judo and BJJ are both fine for beginners - if you find the right school.

Check out the schools in your area. Ask the BJJ schools how much they work takedowns. If you can find a BJJ school that regularly drills takedowns and judo throws, you are golden. This isn't that common, though.

You can always post a link to the school's website in this thread and ask people for advice, too.

Check the instructors' credentials (who promoted them,) and the students' competition results. I love BJJ and think it is the greatest thing ever. But even I would prefer to see a beginner go to a good judo school where they will thrive over a crappy BJJ school where they will quit after a month. Also, if money is a factor, you will find judo much,much more affordable.

Pretty much everyone will offer you a free class. So try the places out and see how you like the people. That's a really important consideration

BJJ grades:
white
blue
purple
brown
black

Judo grades:
white
yellow
orange
green
blue
brown
black

Both arts have extra belts for kids and honorific belts past black.

I think in both, there is no formal grading system. In judo, there are some kata and stuff certain instructors want - but I believe in both arts you can be promoted solely on competition results.

just to let you guys no ive decided to go with judo because of the qualities of gyms i will get a decent knowledge of judo and then start bjj later :)
thanks for advice

Unless you're a little kid, it should go:

BJJ grades:
white
blue
purple
brown
black

Judo grades:
white
brown
black

Also, for MMA, even as Judo guy, I think BJJ classes will offer better skillset. And to clarify why;

-As a MT guy, you are probably already pretty strong in the clinch. (a specialty of Judo and wrestling)
-Most traditional Judo schools, unfortunately, do not emphasize ne-waza (ground techniques) enough to get you proficient enough at the same rate as BJJ.
-Being ground competent is more important in MMA than throwing an opponent.

That being said, I practice both. I could care less about ne-waza lessons at my Judo school simply because I split my time equal between BJJ and Judo, although I've only been doing BJJ a year and Judo more than 10, and like each for what they are.

Back