Advice/instructional for no gi pl. starting gi?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Covaliu, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Covaliu

Covaliu White Belt

I've been training no gi off and on for quite a while now, maybe 6 or 7 years. Grad school and work and what not has gotten in the way, but I'm not entirely terrible. Most of my training over the last few years has been at a gym with an mma focus, so while there are gi classes I've found it easy to keep up my habit of training only no gi.

I'd like to start training in the gi at least some of the time, just to broaden my game, and who knows, maybe earn a purple belt one day (I have a blue from Renzo from several years back, when I was training under a student of his, back when things were less structured at Renzo's and gi knowledge wasn't really required). I know the best thing to do is just jump into, check my ego at the door, accept that people I hang with or beat in no gi will be choking me silly with my collar, and just learn things one grip at a time. That's the plan, when I get back home after being away for the summer.

But I guess I do have some ego, or impatience, and I want to speed things up a bit. Is there a good instructional focusing on basic gi grips or collar chokes? Is there anything particular I can keep in mind, focus on, or do, to make this go more smoothly?

2. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

Beware of the lapel choke!

Just train, man... don't worry about it. It's probably better than someone explains what you're doing wrong in person.