Advice for Sonnen

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually spend your time learning jiu jitsu instead of bad mouthing it. Almost all your losses have come from triangles, armbars and guillotines from either jiu jitsu guys or good submission grapplers.

Stop talking shit and just train.

I agree. He only needs to work on his submission defense and he'll be much better.

triangles are definitely not his friend. Its just amazing that he passes the guard and then puts himself back into the guard. He could of tried to take the back and go for a RNC, mounted and punch from there amongst other things but he was content to just stay in the guard and grind out a decision victory with weak punches and elbows.

and a partridge in a pear tree.

This is the last guy he tko:
Win Kyacey Uscola TKO (Punches) SF 20 - Homecoming 10/27/2007 1 N/A

after that: 5 win via decisions and 2 subs losses.

I actually didn't think he did that bad of a job defending. His strategy was to beat Silva's face in so leaving his arms open to be armbarred or setup for a triangle is kind of expected. He defended a 2 kimoras and multiple triangle/armlock attempts. He got tapped out in the end but oh well. No shame in getting tapped by a black belt. Interesting and entertaining fight. I'd love to see these two on TUF haha.

it appeared to me that Silva did little to nothing other than some half assed attempts and the one triangle at the end.

With that being said please dont think that I'm hating on silva, he has mad skills as both a kick boxer and BJJ blackbelt. My comments are more centered around the fact that he had little to no hip movement and I think that was possibly because of the rib injury he was talking about.

to be honest Anderson should feel ashamed for not having triangled, armbarred, kimured or heel hooked him sooner. He either didn't attempt them or just plain let go when there was no reason to. Even if he didn't submit him with a heel hook he could of at least caused some discomfort and damage to the knee.

Sonnen wouldn't be so good with the takedowns with a damaged knee.

He did exactly! what he said he was going to do, had me laughing sometimes , when he would keep on punching without beeing able to put power in there , like he knew he wasnt doing any damage , but he just wanted to hit anderson in the face or something.:icon_chee

He needs to find a black belt with a lot of patience who knows how to keep a secret.

perhaps it is a problem where the people he trains with dont have the level of physicality mixxed with the level of submission skill to push him in the proper direction. or perhaps he just doesnt care to learn/use a more technical style of guard passing, securing solid dominant position before ground and pound.

yeah all he needs to do is work on sub defense and try not to stay on the guard more..

I think he needs to come post on Sherdog f12. We'll set him straight......

i dont think i could be in a black belts guard for almost 5 rounds without being submitted

(even if i could punch)

1 or 2 months of training how to avoid triangles and Sonnen would be almost unstoppable.

Does he really not train bjj or does he simply say he doesn't?

Back