Advice for increasing strength w/ only one arm?

1-armed cleans, snatches, overhead presses and overhead squats all work, both with DBs and maybe also BBs. Also, most bodybuilding movements work unilaterally; bench, row, curl etc. You could do old time stuff, like turkish getups, suitcase deadlifts and bent press. You can do sprints or jumps with a weighted vest, pistols (with a weighted vest) or glute ham raises. Sled dragging obviously works.

I would definitely try hip belt squats like Chase said. I've never tried them but they seem perfect for your situation. One arm snatches, C+J, bench press and many other movements can be done with one arm.

Oh, and great username, I LOL'd.

As for the progression to one arm pullups:
Normally you begin with bw tow handed pullups and then progress to weighted pullups. Then you add in one handed negatives and isometric holds.
This normal progression is not an option for you.
So maybe you should rely on one handed pulldowns and one ahnded hangs for time trying to pull yourself up as hard as possible.
Maybe this site will still give you ideas:
http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm

Good luck with your training!

Since I'm weak I'll take the first part of that advice graedy, thanks!

Word. I was just thinking about this topic. A buddy of mine lost his arm in Iraq and has wanted to get back into lifting.

If you have access to the assisted pullup/dip machine use that

As for the progression to one arm pullups:
Normally you begin with bw tow handed pullups and then progress to weighted pullups. Then you add in one handed negatives and isometric holds.
This normal progression is not an option for you.
So maybe you should rely on one handed pulldowns and one ahnded hangs for time trying to pull yourself up as hard as possible.
Maybe this site will still give you ideas:
http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm

Good luck with your training!

Awesome post graedy. I like that site.

OP, if you incline your upper body the you can work up to one armed pushups. You can use a bench or chair or even the wall if you are starting off weak. Also one armed pushups from your knees will work, just be sure to keep your body straight when you do them.

If you find a routine that works I suggest keeping a log here. You will get good advice and you can track your progress.

Good luck!

Yeah, I may start a log here after I sort through everything and get a routine set up.

I've got the day off from work, so I've been reading posts, looking up the exercises, and going outside to try them. The intensity is certainly more than my uneducated ass has been doing on my own.

Thanks again, everybody.

Back