Advice for increasing strength w/ only one arm?

Julius Seizure

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, wise members of the S&P forum. I was just wondering if any of you could help me out.
Here's my situation: My left arm is pretty much paralyzed, but I'm looking to increase my overall strength.

Basically, I've always been a "curl-monkey", because I felt that was all I could really do.
I'm determined to better myself, however. Lately I've been trying...let's call them "one armed squats and deadlifts". They're not really, they're more like "I'm just screwing around trying to actually lift weights".

My home "gym" consists of a dumbbell that can go up to an astounding 40 lbs. (impressive, I know)
I've held off from buying a barbell because, while my left arm could be propped onto it, the weight would be resting squarely on my shoulderblade...which I don't even know if that's bad or not.
And as far as deadlifts go, I would have to tie my left hand to the bar. (good? bad? impossible? insane?)

Please understand, though; I don't care about looking ripped, or mah gunz. That's not what I'm looking for.
I'm looking to work hard, get strong, and get better. You know, be the best I can be.
I've just been trying to do this myself, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Also, the rest of my body (back, shoulders, etc.) is sturdy and fine.

So...any advice? Again, I want to work hard and get better.

maybe you could tie your arm to your body and do
1 arm db snatches and swings. you can also do turkish getups and bent presses and ohp.

good luck, mang

Snatches, clean and press, overhead squats can all be done with one hand.

I knew a guy like that in high school. I'm not sure what his problem was but his left arm was huge and his right arm was skinny. He also tried to touch the shoes of the girl who sat next to him. All in all he was kind of a weird guy.

But more to the point, I think he just did a BB type of routine.

You could trust in reincarnation and kill yourself.

Or you can make do with what you've got man. You can do most lifts one-handed. You will need a barbell for deads and you'll probably need a strap once the weight gets heavy enough. Don't tie your gimp arm to the bb. Your connective tissue is wicked atrophied and you'd run the risk of tearing your arm off.

I'm unsure on how to do squats with one arm though...
You could probably pull it off with one of those yolk looking bars...

What about a weighted vest for squats? I've never used or researched one so I don't know how heavy they can get.

Is the arm paralyzed into a particular position or is it free moving, just without voluntary control?

I imagine you could do one arm pushups, pullups, chins. All would need to start out with assistance but they should be doable in the long run.

Is the arm paralyzed into a particular position or is it free moving, just without voluntary control?

I imagine you could do one arm pushups, pullups, chins. All would need to start out with assistance but they should be doable in the long run.

It's pretty much free moving, but it can't be straightened out all the way.
I'm trying to incorporate some lightly weighted stretching exercises for it.
I can move it, but it's very small and weak. I can't really grip anything, though.

Thanks guys, some great ideas here.

If this guy can find a way to get stronger, you certainly can.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ooQKUYQ_WgQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ooQKUYQ_WgQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oh, and I would love to be able to do one-arm pushups and pullups.
But I'm not there yet.

Oh, and I would love to be able to do one-arm pushups and pullups.
But I'm not there yet.

You can do negative pullups and body rows with one arm.

As far as 1 arm pushups go, maybe start with from the knees? Maybe a weighted backpack to load those up until you can do 1 arm pushups...just spitballing.

How about for squats...I like the vest idea btw...but I was thinking like Ross Training stuff...throw a sandbag over your shoulder and do some squats??

Back