Advice for a BJJ noob?

spreadthestoke

White Belt
Reaction score
I Just started this week. It was love at first roll / being choked unconscious.

One thing i really want to work on is just knowing where my body is in relation to the other person (ie center of gravity, noticing openings). I understand that is something that just comes with time. Aside from that, working cardio, and basic techniques which Mr. Ribeiro is pounding into me, can you guys think of anything that helped you along during the days you were green?

1. Tap very early so you don't get injured, especially to any kind of joint lock or neck crank.
2. Write down the things you learn.
3. Try to pay attention to what's going during rolling. It's hard to do at first because you just get lost in the action, but try to remember how people are passing you, catching you, etc. It's very important that you figure out what your holes are and work specifically to find solutions to these problems.
5. Be focused when you drill. Don't just go through the motions. Pay attention to every movement and especially to your tightness and pressure.
6. Make sure you practice good hygiene to avoid and skin funk.
7. Train as much as you can. Do more rolling to improve your cardio.

Endure.

That is the secret to bjj and everything in the universe.

Enduring is not a problem. I fucking love this. If my schedule allowed it i would train 3 times a day. I enjoy rolling without the Gi more than i do with the Gi but i need to get 3 stripes before im allowed in that class. I plan on getting as good as i can as quickly as i can and am eager to put in the extra hours to get there.

Enduring is not a problem. I fucking love this. If my schedule allowed it i would train 3 times a day. I enjoy rolling without the Gi more than i do with the Gi but i need to get 3 stripes before im allowed in that class. I plan on getting as good as i can as quickly as i can and am eager to put in the extra hours to get there.

Well then the battle is already over. As long as you keep training, you will get good. Everything else is stuff we do to occupy ourselves when we can't train.

If you want to get better faster, train more. Do bjj drills at home, get in shape. Maximize your time in class and when you roll, work on the stuff you just covered.

You are in a rush to get good somewhere, but just know that eventually, if you endure, you will get there.

yeah man, just show up. Right now you're in the honeymoon phase.... When you start missing the pieces of skin on your feet, and you feel like you were just in a car that flipped over 20 times, and your girlfriend starts texting you about how she wants it right this fucking second... Go to class.

Good luck man..

yeah man, just show up. Right now you're in the honeymoon phase.... When you start missing the pieces of skin on your feet, and you feel like you were just in a car that flipped over 20 times, and your girlfriend starts texting you about how she wants it right this fucking second... Go to class.

Good luck man..

Ok better question.. What are the intangibles that separate good BJJ from great BJJ? Can any of it be honed?

Good luck man..

LOL... great post.

You were unconscious your first week?

Tap man... I've been out once in four years or so. No need to go out more than is absolutely necessary. It's not dangerous... unless you have a accident waiting to happen in your brain. No reason to tempt fate. Besides, the headaches aren't nice.

My advice is to pace yourself. No need to get crazy and get hurt, If you attend a lot of classes don't roll every class. Get adjusted and comfortable before you over due it and get injured.

Go slow! one thing I try to do when were going over moves is too close my eyes and visualize myself going through the motions of the move, may or may not help but it does the trick for me. Go slow, be patient, and don't be afraid to tap, looking tough doesnt stop your arm from snapping.

Don't be afraid to go for the submissions, you will fail, but you learn more from failing. I hate when a new guy just sits there and stalls when were rolling. Its so much more fun when they're proactive, even if they don't know what there doing.

Ask what you can do to be better, don't be afraid to talk. 99% of the guys I've rolled with will very happily give you info on what you could have/should have done while you were rolling. And ask to practice the stuff you failed/could improve on.

and most important of all, HAVE FUN!

- tangible factor:

time spend on the mats.

i'm 9 months in and it's enough time to agree with this...

also don't burn out or you'll get frustrated..

don't neglect the basics.. best thing you can do IMO to improve your game the fastest right now is put the flashy stuff aside and dedicate yourself to understanding how the basic fundamental moves flow and work together.

Good luck man..

Lol beeen there

Back