Advice during Injury lay off

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Game Bred 516, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Game Bred 516

Game Bred 516 White Belt

Found out yesterday I have a small tear in my left meniscus. I've only been training for about 3 months and now I have a minimum of 2 to 3 week layoff. Any advice on what I should do during this layoff. I have 3 DVD's I'll be watching and in about a week I'm going to see how some shrimping drills feel. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Stmarkus

Stmarkus White Belt

Get a lot of rest. Eat right. If you know any yoga, do it. Or just stretch. Whatever you can that doesn't hurt the knee. Pushups. Training dvd's are a great idea. If you can, pick up a good book like Jiu Jitsu University. Also make sure to do some non- training related stuff.
    Chill and relax. Treat yourself to a massage. Heal up. It's all a process. Good luck!

3. Game Bred 516

Game Bred 516 White Belt

Thanks for the advice, It's a little depressing, but I'll be back on the mats sooner rather than later. I wnat it to heal 100% before I go back tho.

4. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

I agree with StMarkus, make sure you do something jiu-jitsu related: watch those DVDs, read a good jiu-jitsu book, analyze your game with a flowchart or something, pick up a fight mag, catch up on sherdog posts, or maybe even go by the gym and watch practice. Try to exercise what you can without hurting the knee. But I also concur: take care of yourself and focus on getting better. Relax and enjoy the breather.

I hope you get better soon.

5. silvasurfer5253

silvasurfer5253 Purple Belt

I had a pretty large tear. After a week, I started doing core work and what stretches I could. Lift weights. Go to class and watch.

6. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Do what you can. But EAT WELL, it will help you heal.