Advice appreciated regards Grappling.

Dedicado

Machetero
Reaction score
I just moved south to a warmer part of Canada to further my training. So far there are two gyms in town that I am interested in. The first is a kickboxing/mt gym that offers rolling/grappling days and a MMA class, but has no "official" mma teacher, just a bunch of tuff fighters with mma skills and good subs. The second is the local Gracie-Barra affiliate, but it has only 3 classes a week and is taught by a 2 stripe blue.
I plan on going into MMA in a year, but I am fighting at a BJJ tourney in MArch. What should I do?

What part of canada did you move too? I live in Toronto, I don't know where u are but u can always use instructionals to boost your learning curve while working with which ever gym you choose.. It's prolly better to train MMA if you plan to fight MMA. Just my opinion.

if you are in the tourny i would say go to the barra school to get ready for it,
then if mma is what you want chabge schools, just let the guys at barra know that you are leaving them to pursue mma

guardpasser said:
if you are in the tourny i would say go to the barra school to get ready for it,
then if mma is what you want chabge schools, just let the guys at barra know that you are leaving them to pursue mma

yeah, this sounds the best thing to do

where did you move to? im guessing either BC or ontario. i know there isnt to much in yukon. i know there is a lot of good schools in southern ontario like team tomkins, gracie barra, jeff joslins. and in bc there is gibsons pankration, denis kang's school. i wouldnt mind moving to further my training, i live in Nova Scotia and i go to 1 of 2 bjj/mma schools in the province. if i was gonna move i think itd be california, usa or brazil thats where the best training is

Dedicado said:
I just moved south to a warmer part of Canada to further my training. So far there are two gyms in town that I am interested in. The first is a kickboxing/mt gym that offers rolling/grappling days and a MMA class, but has no "official" mma teacher, just a bunch of tuff fighters with mma skills and good subs. The second is the local Gracie-Barra affiliate, but it has only 3 classes a week and is taught by a 2 stripe blue.
I plan on going into MMA in a year, but I am fighting at a BJJ tourney in MArch. What should I do?

hard to believe gracie barra would endorse a 2 stripe blue to teach?

I would just stick with the place you feel like you are learning more at.

also how nice the people and the price.

competition comes last, I would cancell if I couldn't find the right
training to prepare me.

Gsoares2 said:
hard to believe gracie barra would endorse a 2 stripe blue to teach?
The school was founded by Fernando ( Francisco? ) Macachero, a BB. But he had to leave Canada due to immigration trouble. I hope he will be allowed to return.

I'd suggest training at both for a couple of sessions until you decide which one will be better for you.

This way you can gauge the grappling skills of both places & make a decision. If the MMA class does not enough rolling - go for the BJJ class - but if the 2s blue sucks & there are only n00bs at the Gracie place, then you might need to review you options.

... or do both ..? You have 'till march so maybe you can pick the "best days" from either? Unless the $ counts...

^ I wanted to do both, but there is some bad blood between the two schools, I won't say why here. Finally I decided to go with the Gracie Barra, the instructor, although he is a 2 stripe blue is an amazing guy and I like his attitude. The other club just wants my money. Gracie Barra's instructor should be a purple belt at least, but do to some political stuff and immigration law stuff he has been a two stripe now for two years. He is awesome skill wise and trains with Kobra Kai and with Feitosa. I've learned more in 2 classes there than I would in 2 weeks at the other club, plus, they also train guys for MMA. Sweet.

Back