Advertising energy drinks and other unhealthy garbabe at sports events is morally unacceptable

Given that tobacco sponsorship of major sport events and tobacco advertisement in general is banned in most cases, why do these horrible energy drinks like Monster get a pass?

A growing number of studies are finding that products like Monster, Red Bull, and 5-Hour Energy offer a variety of health dangers with no unique benefits. The extreme acidity and high caffeine content of these beverages can cause rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, dehydration, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, headaches, insomnia, and even death.

I find it disgusting that these fine athletes in the UFC are holding cans of Monster in all kinds of public events and after the end of the fight too. To me that's not much better than say McGregor holding a pack of Marlboros at some public event. Young people see that, they see their idols endorsing it and then think that drinking this sort of garbage is perfectly acceptable and develop a serious caffeine addiction, exposing themselves to health risks. More and more people are like completely addicted to this crap and have to drink Monster or Red Bull daily to even function normally.

While I noticed that the American society is extremely intolerant when it comes to tobacco (which is a good thing) there seem to be some weird acceptance of garbage unhealthy drinks full of sugar like these energy drinks or Coca Cola, not to mention the unhealthy junk food which is even promoted as some sort of integral part of culture.

I think that sports shouldn't be sponsored by products that are completely against everything athletic healthy life should be about.
There is so much fail in just this one post.

First, you may be too stupid to decide what's good or bad for you, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us are.

Second, who are you to decide what other people should like, consume, or use?

Third, there is no 'moral' issue here. This is simply a matter of control. You want to dictate to other people based on your own perception of right and wrong.

Fourth, I am going to explain some things to you that everyone else automatically knows:
  • If you consume or use too much of something that is not good for you, you will be unhealthy
  • If you use things in moderation you generally won't have a problem
  • If you use or consume something unhealthy, that's your decision. No one else is forcing you or is to blame. Take responsibility for your own decisions.
Fifth, if you are really outraged by an advertisement, your priorities are badly skewed.

Six, and before you ask, no, I couldn't care less if they advertised tobacco, booze, energy drinks, or anything else....see the list of things you should automatically know above.

Seventh, no advertisement is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy, consume, or use something. If you're so weak-minded that seeing an advertisement compels you to purchase something beyond your ability to make a reasoned decision, then you need some serious help.

Finally, save your outrage something that matters. There are many people that use or consume unhealthy products to extremes and pay the health penalty. However, a spoon never made anyone fat, and tobacco companies never forced anyone to smoke. Start taking responsibility for your own decisions, and frankly, expect others to do the same.

Last edited:
I think it's even worse that all fighters are advertising Reebok, a shoe brand that is WAY out of fashion

Who's gonna protect the kids from emulating their role models and dressing like total f*gs?

I think France recently did the right thing and banned energy drinks for minors.

Red Bull used to be ban completely in France and I think Norway because it contains taurine, just like Monster.

Are you anti GMO as well?

The shit is poison and no fighters are consuming this as part of their training.

This is really the point and I agree it is down to the parents but it is not as easy as it sounds.

Id be fine with full legalization of drugs and commercials with Charlie sheen and Jon Jones sharing a few lines before hitting the town

There are so many reasons for legalizing all drugs but its gonna take a long time till we get there.. People are so brainwashed unfortunately and the pharmacy & alcohol concerns always gonna have a problem with it.

Ts is a dirty commie

State should be outta private companies partnerships n decision makings

Don't know how's in the states n other countries, but usually there is a warning before the event that the show is not recommended for younger viewers

That should be nuff

There is so much fail in just this one post.

First, you may be too stupid to decide what's good or bad for you, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us are.

Second, who are you to decide what other people should like, consume, or use?

Third, there is no 'moral' issue here. This is simply a matter of control. You want to dictate to other people based on your own perception of right and wrong.

Fourth, I am going to explain some things to you that everyone else automatically knows:
  • If you consume or use too much of something that is not good for you, you will be unhealthy
  • If you use things in moderation you generally won't have a problem
  • If you use or consume something unhealthy, that's your decision. No one else is forcing you or is to blame. Take responsibility for your own decisions.
Fifth, if you are really outraged by an advertisement, your priorities are badly skewed.

Six, and before you ask, no, I couldn't care less if they advertised tobacco, booze, energy drinks, or anything else....see the list of things you should automatically know above.

Seventh, no advertisement is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy, consume, or use something. If you're so weak-minded that seeing an advertisement compels you to purchase something beyond your ability to make a reasoned decision, then you need some serious help.

Finally, save your outrage something that matters. There are many people that use or consume unhealthy products to extremes and pay the health penalty. However, a spoon never made anyone fat, and tobacco companies never forced anyone to smoke. Start taking responsibility for your own decisions, and frankly, expect others to do the same.

Just to add one more thought. If you're concerned about the children, you need to understand that competent parents raise children who make good decisions most of the time. Certainly, my children were taught the lessons I mentioned above and don't try to make it someone else's fault when they make the occasional bad decision.

If you're not competent to be a parent, you expect other people to control your children.

Which category do you fall into?

For those doubting the TS, take a spoon and put it in your sugar bowl and scoop out 37 teaspoons and dump it into a glass. That's one Red Bull. If you feel good about that...then you're a mouthbreather. Lol.

For those doubting the TS, take a spoon and put it in your sugar bowl and scoop out 37 teaspoons and dump it into a glass. That's one Red Bull. If you feel good about that...then you're a mouthbreather. Lol.
And if you claim someone is forcing you to consume those 37 teaspoons of sugar, then you're a liar. Just saying.... ;)

and to get the full experience, feed it to your 8 year old kid...... it is poison.

That's not the issue people have and that's clear. Should you be drinking red bull often? No. Should it be up to someone else to decide? No.

and to get the full experience, feed it to your 8 year old kid...... it is poison.
Why would I feed it to my child? Because an advertisement tells me to? Hmm, I'm smart enough to know better. Aren't you?

This is not a freedom thing to consume whatever you want. TS isn' talking about banning that crap, drink if you want. It's about curbing the freedom of companies to lie to you as many people have no clue. Have you ever seen those mountain dew teeth? And you all end up paying for society being unhealthy. Many in this thread can't see the big picture, they associate everything having to do with regulation with lack of freedom and that is highly ignorant and shortsighted.

If you feel free in a society where everyone can lie to you (about white bread, sugar, processed meat, McDonalds 'salads', orange juice, smoothies etc etc.) and get away with it, I wish you the best of luck.

Government isn't always bad, it's a lie by people who do seem to think they have rights to curb rights when it comes to woman's bodies, religion, marriage etc. without seeing the irony, but I digress.

And if you claim someone is forcing you to consume those 37 teaspoons of sugar, then you're a liar. Just saying.... ;)
I would never force a Red Bull on anyone...I would imagine I would be a horrible person if I was to do that. Just a concerned citizen who is a label reader.

Why would I feed it to my child? Because an advertisement tells me to? Hmm, I'm smart enough to know better. Aren't you?

Of course not. If you have followed this thread, I have stated that my 6 and 8 year old know better than to put that poison in their bodies. That doesn't mean I don't see the barrage of advertising TARGETING my kids on a daily basis. I don't know if you have children but if you do, you know full well that they take decisions based on many things including their parents, peer pressure and what some corporation wants them to believe.

I would never force a Red Bull on anyone...I would imagine I would be a horrible person if I was to do that. Just a concerned citizen who is a label reader.

I'd never force shitty metal like Pantera on anyone either, but that doesn't mean I don't think you should be able listen to it.

Back