Advantages of Fat?

Too much fat in a diet is bad, everybody knows this. Even if it wasn't bad for athletic performance, it is bad for your heart.
What do you consider too much dietary fat? If you are advocating a low-fat diet you are misinformed. Dietary fat is fantastic for you, especially oils such as flax seed oil and olive oil, and other foods such as almonds and fish, etc. Most people (at least americans) would be served well by eating far more fat and protein and far fewer carbohydrates (adding good fats, and removing refined/high glycemic index carbs). The people who suffer because of "high fat" diets are actually probably suffering from the insulin rollercoaster and massive fat gain that high sugar/refined carb intake has caused. Typically its also far easier to over eat with high carb diets, they are far less satiating than fatty/high protein foods.

An ideal diet would be composed of high nutrient density fruits and vegetables for complex carbs, lots of good fats, and as much protein as you need for your goals.

If any of you have competed in different weight classes in combat sports, usually you feel faster and easier to move around when you cut weight. Most people feel a loss of strength in comparison to their heavier self (hopefully minimal if you cut correctly).

When you bulk up, you usually feel that loss of speed (hopefully minimal if you bulked correctly) but you are harder to be moved around and can use your weight.

As a fighter in a weight class with a limit, that's why most choose to cut to make the limit, then bulk up after the weigh-ins to get the best of both worlds.

What do you consider too much dietary fat? If you are advocating a low-fat diet you are misinformed. Dietary fat is fantastic for you, especially oils such as flax seed oil and olive oil, and other foods such as almonds and fish, etc. Most people (at least americans) would be served well by eating far more fat and protein and far fewer carbohydrates (adding good fats, and removing refined/high glycemic index carbs). The people who suffer because of "high fat" diets are actually probably suffering from the insulin rollercoaster and massive fat gain that high sugar/refined carb intake has caused. Typically its also far easier to over eat with high carb diets, they are far less satiating than fatty/high protein foods.

An ideal diet would be composed of high nutrient density fruits and vegetables for complex carbs, lots of good fats, and as much protein as you need for your goals.

Thanks for the tutorial on fat professor but I said "Too Much Fat." The words "too much" being key. "Too much" inherently meaning bad. See also "Excessive." I am well informed of the benefits of fat in one's diet.

being fat vs. extremly lean has a big difference during performance, at some point though the workout or in a fight your body will start ****bolising fat at some point, the fat person would get something comparible to a high while the lean persons muscles will shut down........ we did some tests at my gym on this.....we had a personal trainer who was 6% fat and another kid who was 20% the fat kid went 3 times as far at the same pace while the personal trainer passed out that wasn't fun

I don't think purposely adding fat in weight class sports has much of a benefit. In high weight classes, the benefit of losing a couple of pounds of fat may not be worth the effort. How "ripped" you looked has a lot to do with genetics. This guy won the olympic gold medal in weightlifting in the 77kg class:

280698593_acec4494c8.jpg

That's crazy, never mind ripped, he doesn't even look that strong.

I find it funny you used links and sources to explain how fat people are slippery.

yeah i think it could help but only in heavyweight. and most of they time people that are chubby just dont train as hard as people that are ripped out

Look at bodybuilders. Look at Fedor. Performance and looks don't always go hand in hand. Not to mention I can tell you that the best athletes i know hover at 8-14% BF.

Just my 2 cents:

Well, there is a theory that the body has a body fat level "set point", meaning that the body has a level it likes to naturally stick to. This level is genetically determined, and the body requires a different stimulus (be it dietary habits or exercise) to change this level. Fighters like Emelianenko have a higher set point genetically, meaning that he may have an excellent diet and be in superb shape, but his body fat set point is genetically much higher.

There was a good book I read not too long ago titled Nutrition For The Serious Athlete that discusses body fat in regards to athletes. Basically it mentions a lot about what you guys were saying, that a certain amount of body fat serves some very key purposes. And, that getting excessively lean does not necessarily improve performance, and can in fact hinder it. I've dropped from probably 15% to near single digits, and I've noticed that I get sick more often (with little change in lifestyle, or food choices) and bruise MUCH easier. During college football, I used to never bruise, now when training I'll get deep bruises from a guy simply wrapping his hand around my upper arm.

Now, I did notice some advantages, mainly less fatigue and better endurance. It's basically just about finding the proper balance. I believe the book I read said that MMA athletes average around 10-14% BF.

I would recommend at least flipping through that book next time you guys are in the bookstore.

Back