Advantages/Disadvantages to Trapbar vs Conventional Deadlift

Endo

o hai!
Reaction score
Thoughts? Advantages/Disadvantages to trapbar deads vs barbell deads.

Olympic bar deadlifts hit my lowerback and hamstrings more. Trap bar deadlifts hit my quads more. My pr is the same for both.

The trapbar deadlift is more akin to a squat than a conventional deadlift

So in other words, you guys are saying that the trapbar is mainly leg drive with little to no back work?

So in other words, you guys are saying that the trapbar is mainly leg drive with little to no back work?

I don't know that I would say little to no back work, just less. It allows you to have a more upright torso. It can be useful for people who have trouble getting in arch in their back on a conventional deadlift.

A trap bar deadlift puts more emphasis on leg drive and less on the posterior chain but I wouldn't say it's mainly leg drive.

I'm glad you started this thread I was considering buying a trapbar and doing them within a week or two. With the way my training is scheduled I am only going to have time for one max strength session per week and figured doing trapbar deadlifts might be a good way to keep my gains from the traditional deadlift and squat. If not I can do them both in one session but i'd rather save my lower back while i'm doing alot of sparring. Any advice on this? Normally I would just cut the volume down and stay heavy.

zomg endo where have you been i thought u died.

I'm glad you started this thread I was considering buying a trapbar and doing them within a week or two. With the way my training is scheduled I am only going to have time for one max strength session per week and figured doing trapbar deadlifts might be a good way to keep my gains from the traditional deadlift and squat. If not I can do them both in one session but i'd rather save my lower back while i'm doing alot of sparring. Any advice on this? Normally I would just cut the volume down and stay heavy.

I'm having back problems as of now. I've done several form checks, and all good comments. I even think my form is on, but no matter how I pull I'm not comfortable and my back gets fatigued just trying to keep my back straight. It's making DLing extremely hard and my numbers have greatly suffered from it.

Now I'm just trying to explore my options and try to find a way I can continue to pull.

I would say low volume and high intensity is probably your best bet. Or maybe even low volume medium-high intensity. Your first instincts would probably be something I'd recommend to most asking the same question.

zomg endo where have you been i thought u died.

Nah. I've been checking on my team. I gotta get my lifting straight or I'm going to need them to replace me. My squats and OHP are doing great. My bench is slowly creeping back up and showing good things, even though I took a huge hit at the beginning of this competition. However, my deadlift is in the gutter and I'm having a hard time pulling. At first I was just trying to keep my deadlift up so I could keep rocking for the team, but now it's more about fighting just to be able to deadlift. Last time I left the gym so fucking mad I didn't talk to the g/f for the rest of the night. I'm fucking hanging on weights I know I can blow out of the fucking water, but now I suddenly can't.

I didn't get abducted by aliens, as I saw you put in our team log... I just got sick of the typical SD bullshit that goes on here. Everyone always wants to attack someone else personally, and act like a bunch of fucking 13 year old girls fighting over a t-shirt.

Last edited:

If you are only going to be lifting heavy once/week I would probably just rotate between a simple 2 day split where you squat one week and deadlift the next. Will you be doing any other lifting?

I've always done conventional. I don't see a problem with trap bar if you're not going to compete.

If you are only going to be lifting heavy once/week I would probably just rotate between a simple 2 day split where you squat one week and deadlift the next. Will you be doing any other lifting?

I might do some bodyweight circuit type stuff after the skill training but not really any other heavy lifting. I just want to maintain where my strength is right now since it isnt a weakness for me.

What kind of set x rep scheme would you suggest? How often do you think I can go with singles since its just 1x per week?

And for exercise selection im thinking:

1 Olympic lift
1 Lower Body
1 Upper Pull
1 Upper Push
+ any accessory work I need to do.

I'd rather pull sumo than do trapbar deadlifts.

I'm having back problems as of now. I've done several form checks, and all good comments. I even think my form is on, but no matter how I pull I'm not comfortable and my back gets fatigued just trying to keep my back straight. It's making DLing extremely hard and my numbers have greatly suffered from it.

Now I'm just trying to explore my options and try to find a way I can continue to pull.

I would say low volume and high intensity is probably your best bet. Or maybe even low volume medium-high intensity. Your first instincts would probably be something I'd recommend to most asking the same question.

Nah. I've been checking on my team. I gotta get my lifting straight or I'm going to need them to replace me. My squats and OHP are doing great. My bench is slowly creeping back up and showing good things, even though I took a huge hit at the beginning of this competition. However, my deadlift is in the gutter and I'm having a hard time pulling. At first I was just trying to keep my deadlift up so I could keep rocking for the team, but now it's more about fighting just to be able to deadlift. Last time I left the gym so fucking mad I didn't talk to the g/f for the rest of the night. I'm fucking hanging on weights I know I can blow out of the fucking water, but now I suddenly can't.

I didn't get abducted by aliens, as I saw you put in our team log... I just got sick of the typical SD bullshit that goes on here. Everyone always wants to attack someone else personally, and act like a bunch of fucking 13 year old girls fighting over a t-shirt.

Mehh ignore it some people are just retards and dont have nothing better to do with there lives then try and be "Cool" on the forums.

Also that sucks to hear hope your problems sort them selfs out and you get back to deadlifting properly.

I'd rather pull sumo than do trapbar deadlifts.

I've been trying to get a feel for sumo. I need to do a sumo form check with someone who is well versed in that particular lift.

I've been playing around with different positions and stances.

I like trap bar deads but you gotta flip it over so the handles aren't too high.

Squats and deadlifts are in a class by themselves. There are tons of variations from grip to foot positioning and more. I think only strongman training (tire flipping, truck pulling, atlas stones, etc.) comes close to the intensity and results these lifts can offer.

Since you are considering buying a bar, an olympic barbell will give you more exercise options. You can do Hack Squats, it has a similar training effect as trap bar deadlifts. Plus you can continue working on your deadlift form. Another option is to target your legs with no back involvement. via hip squats with a hip/dip belt or homemade belt. Also, chalk up or use straps so grip isn't your limiting factor.

I've been trying to get a feel for sumo. I need to do a sumo form check with someone who is well versed in that particular lift.

I've been playing around with different positions and stances.

I'm in the process of learning sumo myself, so I wouldn't say I'm well versed, however I have gotten plenty of good pointers from people at the gym, so I might be able to notice something. Another option, since there aren't many people who pull sumo here, (I think Joshetc does) is to ask for a form check at the eliteFTS Q&A.

Because it has the same advantage of being easier on the lower back, and the empahasis on leg drive as trapbar deads, but it's not dependant on having a trapbar, it's still a deadlift (and not a cross between a squat and DL), and with sumo (and pretty much every pull, and anytime you pick something up) the center of gravity is more forward than with trapbar deadlifts.

All that said, there's nothing "bad" about trapbar deadlifts. I could even see myself doing them as assistance if I thought it would help.

Back