Adult Hobbies/Free Time

Homemade sourdough. Trust me, it's well worth the effort and pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

What kind of car?

I've posted it in another thread. It's a 2000 Ram Air Trans Am. LS6 engine from a Z06 Corvette rebuilt with forged crank, rods, and pistons, Texas Speed heads, and a FAST 102mm intake. 4L80 tranny with 3200 RPM billet stall converter. Strange S60 rear axle. Huron Speed single turbo kit with a billet 78/75 turbo. Dual Walbro 450 fuel pumps, the second pump comes on at 6 PSI of boost.

It has tubular front K member / A-arms, Viking Coilover shocks, and is on 26" M&H Drag Radials. Compression Ratio is 10.2:1 and it has a flex fuel sensor to run 93 Octane or E85 pump gas. No dyno or track numbers, it's still a work in progress.

It's taught me to never, ever ever add up the receipts.

I enjoy learning random hobbies so I can juggle, ride a unicycle, throw knives and a lot of other stuff that caught my interest at the time.
I misread that first as ride a unicorn and was "wow, random indeed"

<mma4>

What do you guys do for fun/hobbies?

I feel like it’s super important to have “fun” as an adult or else you just become depressed/working stiff.

I’ve spent five years grinding my ass of to transition from working in the service industry to tech.

Luckily, in those five years, my fun was also my career goal. I basically learned to code and picked of project management.

Now that I have my career set, I don’t have to constantly grind away at learning new technologies/skills, and I’m excited to pick up life where I left off in terms of hobbies but I’m also overwhelmed.

Recently I started practicing cardistry. It’s incredibly satisfying. It’s very tactile and the moves are super satisfying. There’s also a collecting element to it because you get different decks.

I’m looking to pick up:

fantasy novels/fiction
hot sauce and pepper collecting/ creation
Card gaming/board games (magic, dnd)
Reading random lists of non fiction books, like about Bigfoot, beer, and Lincoln

I read fantasy novels at work. I used fo read that shit in high school and in the past 2 or 3 years I got back to it. Other than that just little projects around the house are fun for me. The other day I organized the garage which was badly needed and took way longer than anticipated. Next week I'm going to replace my Bannister

I don't have any hobbies never had, not because I don't like it it's just I never have time for it. Would love to grow tomatoes or vegetables, but first need to make some money and this thing takes way too much time to even think about hobbies, maybe when I'm old I will have time

Aquariums and house plants.. building shit in general..

I'm possibly an old woman btw..

You ever kept pogostemon stellatus octopus? I'm thinking about ripping out all my anacharis and replacing it with the pogo. I'm tired of having to trim the anacharis all the time.
Also, what you put in an 11L to eat shrimp culls?

Homemade sourdough. Trust me, it's well worth the effort and pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

How often do you make sourdough and how much do you make? And are you making loaves of it or flatbread? Just curious as I like sourdough breads and grew up with a Grandmother that baked a lot.

How often do you make sourdough and how much do you make? And are you making loaves of it or flatbread? Just curious as I like sourdough breads and grew up with a Grandmother that baked a lot.

I make about two loaves a week, I don'y use a bread pan but it puffs up. As with most sourdough I bake it in a dutch oven.

I started a thread about sourdough here in Mayberry, there are several other guys on the board that bake it too. Plus pictures, check out the thread:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/homemade-sourdough-bread.4135457/

I have a studio set up in my basement, I have several guitars, a bass, a couple of Keyboards, a drum set, amps, and a PA System.

Video games, I have an Xbox One and a custom retro arcade machine.

Down Hill Ski in the Winter. I actually just bought a pass to my local hill.

I was thinking of getting a Snowmobile and maybe Ice fishing too this winter, but I probably won't

I like to mountain bike, camp, and swim in the summer.

Sherdog, watch Football and MMA

And finally Drinking which I can manage to do while enjoying all of the above.

Where did you get your original starter from?

I cook, both on the Weber and in the kitchen, have a bit of a garden happening (chillies, tomatoes etc), play guitar, box a little. Yeah you need hobbies and distractions, good for mental health and hopefully you pick at least one that gets you moving a bit.

40 years of
3628.jpg

Where did you get your original starter from?

Just made it myself, it's easy but takes about a week to cultivate it. After a week it's good to go. I keep it in the fridge most of the time and take it out the day before I make the dough.

Start with even amounts flour and water, 1 cup each. You need to use unbleached flour and filtered, non chlorinated water. After 24 hours save 1/2 cup and add another cup of flour and water. Do this for 2-3 days then switch to every 12 hours. By saving a 1/2 cup of the mixture each time and feeding it fresh flour and water you cultivate the natual yeast that occurs in the flour.

When I feed my starter in almost triples in size as it raises in about 4 hours. It's pretty easy but you need to be meticulous with all the mixing and keeping all the containers you use really clean.

Once the started is going the bread making part is different than normal bread too.

Reactions: JSN
I build/maintain buggies and have a sawmill all in a 2000 sqft shop with 14 foot ceilings.

four wheeling , hunting, fishing and cutting/drying lumber and selling it on craigslist and to local wood workers is my hobby. I read a lot too.

I'm a accountant/buyer for a municipality by day. Hate it but I have to stay 5 more years to get full retirement.

I got two small kids age 3 and 5, a full time Job, and a woman.

My little free time goes into training.

Back