Adrenalin Still Pumping. I Wont Sleep Tonight.

Meths

White Belt
Reaction score
Went to my first live Muay Thai show last night night and had a great time.

Then, this morning I had my first sparring session and got to hit a person instead of the bag. I caught a few right on the nose though but I was so hyped I hardly felt anything. Learned that it's pointless throwing body shots to the front when you spend so much time conditioning your abs to take full force kicks and knees. And it leaves you wide open for a counter!!!

Ah well, every day is a school day.

My goal now is to get ready for a real fight in front of an audience within a year. :D

Awesome dude, glad to have you here. So today was your first day sparring huh? How long were you training before this?

About 4 weeks of near constant boxing work and a week of kicks before today.

I'm in no hurry to get fighting though because I want to get the basics right before I get a chance to develop any bad habits.

The guy I was training with today is an ex boxer and in half an hour he had me throwing punches twice as hard as I was before with half the effort. I've been boring the wife talking about it all day.

I'm still trying to block kicks on my gloves and fighting the urge to curl up into a ball and drop to the floor when people throw combos at me but I'm getting there.

Yeah, with body shots it's about timing(get em when they breathe in) and placement(the infamous liver shot). Keep training these two things, and going to the body won't seem as pointless to you...

A good front kick or a solid cross to the sternum never feels good.

Who says body shots are pointless?

They are perfect for opening up someones' defence or if you ever decide to add some wrestling to your arsenal they are perfect for setting up takedowns.

You have to use your attacks to constantly create better opportunities of attack, not just slug away at each other... That

dude me too, i just got home from my first sparring session and i ran all the way home, did a bodywiegth routien, stretched and practiced technique some more. I'm going to all 3 hours of class now for sure! Haven't felt this high in years :icon_twis

i got a guy with a hook to the liver :icon_twis

Meths said:
Went to my first live Muay Thai show last night night and had a great time.

Then, this morning I had my first sparring session and got to hit a person instead of the bag. I caught a few right on the nose though but I was so hyped I hardly felt anything. Learned that it's pointless throwing body shots to the front when you spend so much time conditioning your abs to take full force kicks and knees. And it leaves you wide open for a counter!!!

Ah well, every day is a school day.

My goal now is to get ready for a real fight in front of an audience within a year. :D

Don't make those assumptions because they are wrong. A person that is good at getting on the inside and throwing body shots can floor you with them.

You may not knock someone out with a body shot unless you get a perfect liver shot but the point of body shots is too wear down your opponent

Funny - I can just FEEL your excitement & enthusiasm through your post. Good stuff - glad you're enjoying yourself.

Ya man that's awesome to hear, keep up the good work. I can't wait until I can start sparring and/or competing.

When you hit someone with a bodyshot which hits the spot, you can see it in their eyes. They might not drop but you can tell they were hurt.

It's happened to me a few times (both giving and receiving). I don't think I've been hit in the liver, but the sternum is what I'm looking to hit from now on (when going for hte body anyway).

Yeh getting hit with a livershot is fuckin painful to say the least, but the funny thing is i've trained at 5 diffrent boxing gyms and 4 different muay thai gyms and have never ever heard a trainer talk about aiming your left rip towards the liver, they always talk about hitting the floating ribs.

after a year away from striking, i started joined a new gym with a proper striking class and sparring. the first few weeks, as i was getting into shape again and getting back into the groove, i used to get a "runner's high". at the end of each round my body was just tingling, i felt like i was on E. but it was better than drugs, because i got to hit people and get hit. feels much more real and alive than any drug ever did.

also, i bore my girlfriend to death talking about how i kicked someone in the chest at the end of the round when they were tired by faking a round house but then switching to a front kick that i learned from the bas rutten dvd's which i have right here and the guy went flying back and stepped straight forward so i kicked him again and threw combination and .......

Back