1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Adrenalin Dump

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by GentileJitsu, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GentileJitsu

GentileJitsu Orange Belt

Man... anyone else have this in competition?

I'm in amazing shape cardio wise. I can roll forever and be fine. But as soon as I go to compete, I get adrenaline dump and get gassed out fairly easy. I've only competed about 4 times so that could be part of it, just need to keep competing and working out the nerves.

Anyone else experience this?

2. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Yep, nothing prepares you for it other than continuing to do it.

3. Coolcatsithe

Coolcatsithe White Belt

Not sure about the adrenaline dump as an issue I had. Being in only one competition, I felt I did good about remaining mostly calm. The thing that did happen to me however, was the worst case of cotton mouth I have probably ever had, I imagine that also goes away with doing more comps.

4. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I would suggest you work on your breathing and try to maintain one calm breath throughout your time there. Try to stay hydrated, and keep competing as much as possible. I wish I knew another way?

5. crochuck

crochuck Banned Banned

The only thing that has helped me was sitting there and waiting for a while. My last comp I show up a early and just watched other ppl roll. It really helped me calm down and eased my nerves. I agree it is very hard to stay calm. I remember back in the day when I played football I would be so nervous during the kickoff but once I got to hit somebody it would all be gone in 5 minutes. The only problem is with BJJ in 5 minutes someone can put you to sleep or break your arm :p

6. [Tycho?]

[Tycho?] Brown Belt

I get the adrenaline dump for the first minute or so of the fight. I have to consciously tell myself: "slow down, breathe, concentrate, take your time". After that I'm good. Helps if you have a cornerman telling you to breathe and slow down too.

7. strongmanfan

strongmanfan Orange Belt

sometimes its a mind body issue.

how anxious would you say you are by the time the fight approaches? what venues do you fight at? how big of a crowd do you see. if so this may require some mental conditioning in order to help ease your mind so that your mind doesnt relay those messages to other parts of your body. you want some alertness but too much and you can gas, and too little you will just be lazy and unmotivated

on your lighter days try maybe some yoga and focus on deeper breathing patterns.

8. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

I really like this answer. Also, look in to Neuro Linguistic Programming. There is an intervention called "circle of excellence" or something to that effect. It seems cheesedick, but it works if applied correctly.

9. Reev

Reev Yellow Belt

Ya i had the problem doing some boxing before. I wouldnt really snap out of it till i got punched. Then instict would take over adrenaline. As you may guess that could pose a promlem if that wake up puncked knocked you out. I got lucky and never got ko'd and after time went by and i got some experience i didnt have to take that wake up shot. So all you can do is make damn sure you breathe and then you just have to build up some experience in competition.

Also i dont know about for others but for me that adrenaline dump never completlely goes away. That is a good thing though, being a little nervouse is ok.