Adlan Amagov explains why he retired

frandie2b

------(SALD BELT)------
@red
Reaction score
This was from June, but couldn't find anything here.

"Following over a year of speculation, Adlan Amagov officially announced his retirement from MMA competition several months ago to the disappointment of countless fans of the sport. Some initially assumed that religious reasons were a factor in his decision, yet the 28-year-old Amagov confirmed that he was simply "tired."

"Here I cannot lie. In the last fight I was 16 kg (35lbs) overweight. It was hard. I usually weighed 92-93kg (205lbs). For 40 days before the last fight, I ate well and then stood on the scale out of interest - 95.5 kg (210lbs)! And my category was 77 kg (170lbs). It was just awful."

Asked if he would return to the Octagon to challenge Lawler, Amagov sidestepped a direct answer by stating that "everyone would agree" to such a hypothetical situation.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/2...on-to-retire-not-religiou-just-tired-mma-news

For those who don't remember:

spinningheadkick00.gif

tumblr_muxwosR00F1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

ko.gif

Was going to joke & mention how he explored other
career routes once he saw Lawler turning into a
calculated killer before everyone's eyes.
But I guess he kind of alluded to that himself.
Now I feel bad.

Shame he quit he actually had some talent

Shame. He had quite a lot of potential. I remember the TJ Waldburger fight being hard to watch at times.

Shame but I prefer this to a guy going out on his shield losing a ton before retiring. It's sad not to see their full potential but it's sadder imo to see a guy go out with tons of damage and KO's.

then he should just fight middle weight he wasnt that bad there

He's the type of guy who could make good money even if he didn't get near the title.

That's a lot of words to say, "I got into my late 20's and as I became naturally too big for 170, I also became afraid of fighting against the top guys my size."

Nothing wrong with that, but let's call it like we see it.

Its kind of absurd if this is the state of mind of todays fighters regarding reasons for finishing a career. He never shouldve fought at that dryed up unhealthy weight. This cutting weight business is ridiculous.

I dont even understand what goes through the mind of a fighter, after all those months of tough tough camps and training they cut a lot of weight (and destroy their bodies ) and the next day do not fight even close to 100%. All that time for training and camp down the drain in a way, especially if the lose.

That's a lot of words to say, "I got into my late 20's and as I became naturally too big for 170, I also became afraid of fighting against the top guys my size."

Except he started his career as a LHW, went down to MW for Strikefore, then WW for the UFC.

But you seem to be the expert here...

if his heart isn't in it, it's good he's not fighting. he's only 28, so who knows if he'll get that competitive itch back in a year or so and make a return.

That

Except he started his career as a LHW, went down to MW for Strikefore, then WW for the UFC.

But you seem to be the expert here...

LOL, get out of here with that nonsense, especially since you don't realize you're actually making my point for me. What feared striker did he face at LHW? Listen, a lot of UFC WW's would fight Gadzhimurad Antigulov (who?) and Shamil Tinagadjiev (whaaa?).

Until he faced Robbie Lawler at 185, the most accomplished striker he fought was ... Ron Stallings? Then he got KTFO by Robbie and immediately jumped ship down to 170. So it's not like he hasn't done this kind of thing before. As you admit, he's been going down in weight classes his entire career whenever the going gets tough, and he no longer has that as an option, so why should we be surprised by the retirement?

Seriously, he said the reason is he doesn't want to cut TONS of weight because he's now like five pounds heavier than he was as a kid. We're supposed to buy that? Dude, you've fought at 185 before, why not do it again? Seems a basic, simple follow-up question, no?

Also don't forget

giphy.gif

Rematch would be even uglier nowadays.

From what I understand, he's more interested in spending time with his family and isn't much involved in MMA in general anymore.

Sad for the sport, but completely understandable.

His family is going to get awfully tired of him being around instead of bringing home those fight purses. Why not just fight as a LHW and see how he does instead of just quitting altogether because he hates trying to make weight?

LOL, get out of here with that nonsense, especially since you don't realize you're actually making my point for me. What feared striker did he face at LHW? Listen, a lot of UFC WW's would fight Gadzhimurad Antigulov (who?) and Shamil Tinagadjiev (whaaa?).

Until he faced Robbie Lawler at 185, the most accomplished striker he fought was ... Ron Stallings? Then he got KTFO by Robbie and immediately jumped ship down to 170. So it's not like he hasn't done this kind of thing before. As you admit, he's been going down in weight classes his entire career and no longer has that as an option, so why should we be surprised by the retirement?

Seriously, he said the reason is he doesn't want to cut TONS of weight because he's now like five pounds heavier than he was as a kid. We're supposed to buy that? Dude, you've fought at 185 before, why not do it again? Seems a basic, simple follow-up question, no?

Damn dude, slow your roll.

My point is this guy was obviously a natural MW. The UFC probably didn't give him an option for MW. I think you're vastly overestimating how much say the fighter actually has in the weightclass situation when it comes to bigger orgs, especially the UFC.

The extreme diet lifestyle isn't for everyone, no matter how talented.

My point is this guy was obviously a natural MW. The UFC probably didn't give him an option for MW. I think you're vastly overestimating how much say the fighter actually has in that situation when it comes to big orgs.

Sorry, having an annoying day at work, so taking it out on Sherbros. Are you implying that the UFC wouldn't allow him to fight at MW? Did I miss that in the article, or what? I'm confused--seems to me the UFC has always encouraged guys to fight at a higher weight, if anything.

Seems he had an awful time cutting that amount of weight, understandably so. All the best to him, regardless of what he'll do in the future.

My point is this guy was obviously a natural MW. The UFC probably didn't give him an option for MW. I think you're vastly overestimating how much say the fighter actually has in the weightclass situation when it comes to bigger orgs, especially the UFC.

I think you overestimate how much the UFC would care if a guy like Amagov went to 185. He's not a star that they want to stay at a certain weight class to keep it in fans' minds. For example, the UFC would not like the idea of Conor going to LW because they need him to build interest in the previously invisible FW one. But Amagov is a nobody to 95% of MMA fans and WW isn't hurting for contenders. Plenty of lesser known fighters change weight classes with no problem because they aren't that important.

Back