adidas training gis. Anything horribly wrong with them?

Ninja This

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I start judo and bjj in september at mah university

Both seem(schedules not finalized) to meet twice a week and possibly on the weekends.

Judo is with a gi

BJJ is one day with one day without which brings me to the point of the thread

Seka-Sports, Inc. | adidas Judo Training Gi (J500) - FREE SHIRT WITH ANY PURCHASE

Seka-Sports, Inc. | adidas Jiu-Jitsu Training Gi - FREE SHIRT WITH PURCHASE

They seem like pretty basic gis w/o me having to spend over 200 in total for them. I happen to be one of the twelve people on this forum that likes unconventionally colored gis (purple ftw) but I figure I may as well actually start bjj and judo before I pay like 200 bucks for a brunami that might go to waste. So the "adidas" stripes will have to be my little unique touch(until i get some patches) in the sea of blank gis

So are adidas gis secretly made of tissue paper?

Are they programmed to self destruct?

Your impressions about whether or not these are good for what I think is light training would be appreciated

edit: I THOUGHT I was in the gear section. I was using the wrong tab my bad- but hey you guys would know anyway right?

Last edited:
My experience with Addidas Gi's is not that extensive so take this for what its worth...
The arms shrink like crazy! A couple of guys at my club bought them and now they are basically useless. This is my only experience with Addidas Gi's. I have no Idea how they washed or dried them, all i know is the end result. Which was not good. Personally I would not buy one.

Could hot water do that perhaps?

yeah it could. Like I said, i have no idea how they washed them. And you're right they could have washed it in hot water and left them in the dryer for hours... I really don't know. All I do know is that the end result put me off buying one.

To be fair, this is my only experience with these Gi's. Someone else may have a completely different opinion.

New plan: are there any good fairly cheap gis out there? I'm trying to spend less than two hundred for a bjj and a judo gi

Fuji Gi's are cheap and get good feedback for the most part. They do Judo and Bjj Gi's. Also look at Padilla and Sons, they get good reviews and they are right in your price range.

I think this is what you are looking for: toraki.com

Lots of people I know started out in these gi's and still wear them today. They make both Judo and Jiu Jitsu Gi's

I have a white Adidas BJJ gi that I've been using for a couple of years.
No problems with it at all, as a matter of fact it's my favorite out of 3 that I own.
No shrinkage problems but I always wash in cold & hang to dry. It also gets rotated with the other gi's so only gets worn once a week.
I'd buy another one in a heart beat if I needed a gi.

As mentioned before, Fuji gis are like 70 bucks and everybody loves them. They shrink a lot though so keep that in mind.

Back