Adidas Gi, Romulo Barral edition...

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
anyone has any review on this GI??? I heard they are pretty good, really thick lapel and good lasting for ever material...but too damm hot, and since I live right in the middle of southamerica, where most likely we have 9 moths of hot summer, im not quite sure if its going to be a smart decision... also, the price is very good too... much cheaper than a atama, keiko or another good brand...

any thoughts guys?

Don't know if this 'review' is too late for you, but perhaps this will help others that are contemplating a purchase of one. (I've found that the information that is out there about this gi is, more often than not, about the previous Machado edition or incorrectly identified Adidas training gis.)

I have the gi and I love it. You will read a lot of posts on forums saying that this gi shrinks and shrinks and shrinks, but I haven't found this to be the case and have had it now for a few months. It does arrive a size large and, like most gis, is meant to be shrunk down to your size. (Usual procedure, wash then dry in the dryer--checking periodically--until it's your size.) After doing so, I haven't found that it has shrunk any more. (I wash on cold, then air/hang dry.)

So about the gi. This gi is first class. (My comparisons are against my other gis: an Atama, Red Star, and Gracie Barra Competition gis). It is thick, but no thicker than my competition gis that Gracie Barra makes. (Comparing it against a 'competition' gi, it does have better reinforcement and better detail work then the Gracie Barra gi.) The length/skirt is not long, but not short either, if that makes any sense. The pants are fine, if a bit baggier than some. (But, again, the washing/shrinking here takes care of most of this.)

The main thing to note here is the fabrication and design. In my opinion the construction is top-rate. All seams--including the pants--are reinforced with extra fabric along the seams leaving a flush feel against the skin. In other words, there is no direct seam contact at all--a nice detail. All stress points are double-reinforced with extra fabric and the extra seam fabric as well. The collar is stiff and sturdy yet is pliable. Again, matching it against the Gracie Barra competition gi, I'd say it's a bit stiffer. Overall, the gi makes it clear that a lot of thought went into the design and construction of the gi. I haven't found this to be true of many gis out there. Adidas seems to really want to make a serious mark in the BJJ market with this gi and seems to understand that BJJ practitioners are tough to please.

Okay, back to the details. The cut is slim in the top, but there is some room under the shoulders--in this regard, while it's definitely a BJJ cut, it has a bit of a 'judo' gi feel to it. Just a bit. (Personally, I like this cut.)

As far as the weight is concerned, it's lighter than you would imagine when you feel the fabric. The fabric feels thick yet is pretty light. Again, compared to the competition Gracie gis, it's a bit heavier--but I wouldn't say by much.

So would I recommend it? I'll put it this way: I'd happily buy another one. It's a good value at the current price of $146 US--considerably less expensive than many brands. A top notch, competition-quality gi that you'll hang onto (and that will last) for some time. (Hey, it looks badass too!) Romulo Barral's endorsement is a good one.

Hope this helps.

Dont know if you have bought the gi yet or not, BUT i love the top so heavy and really hard to get grips on(which is always a good thing Lol) The pants are pretty heavy as well, kind of hard to play spider guard and break grips but theyre good. Easily one of my favorite gis.

I have had experience with the adidas on the judo side, i also have know one of the first generation machado which kind of sucked. But i heard they sticked with what they do best which is a judogi style bjj gi, like the atama double weaves.

Adidas double weave judogis are tapered as judo comes, they are thick and reinforced, the fabric however is not very breathable and its not nice to train under hot weather with them, if you are looking at comfort, forget it. They dont even feel wet when you finish training because of the poor absorption.

Awesome competition gis, but sucky training ones (lasts a lot but hot), get a gold or a single weave, adidas makes those too but are not remarkable.

wait, what weave are these gis? I have seen them in person from a couple feet away and they looked like gold weaves to me

I can attest to them being VERY hard to grip lapels.

Go for it.

Just got a Adidas Machado signature for my kid. Probably the most amazingly constructed Gi ive ever seen. It's damn armor. Amazing.

Quality!

Not sure about the Romulo version but I'd assume it's similar.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Wow, usually people dump on Adidas real hard. Never seen such posative reviews before.Who knew?

Wow, usually people dump on Adidas real hard. Never seen such posative reviews before.Who knew?

I think thier low end training Gi's might be made very differently. Their higher line BJJ gi's are very nice.

I think thier low end training Gi's might be made very differently. Their higher line BJJ gi's are very nice.

Ah, that must be it. I even have Japanese guys complain about their low end gis. If Japanese complain about something, you have messed up.

So they make crap, and high end stuff? Hmmm.

MAN! i REALLY like the romulo gi. im just sketched out by the shrinkage accusations. should i still get it?

MAN! i REALLY like the romulo gi. im just sketched out by the shrinkage accusations. should i still get it?

all i know is these are built like Armor. So be aware of that. The collars are thicker than anything ive even ever felt on an HCK. VERY hard to grab.

think it'd be a good gi for competition then eh? I like a heavier gi top and ripstop pants. I have a vulkan lightweight that I can't stand. It's just too thin.

a big problem with the machado gis were that "adidas" was iron-on transfers. but on romulo's it appears to be stitched. the website confirms this.

5/190cm 5'8" - 6'0"
6/200cm 6'0" - 6'4"+

I'm about 6'1" and 195-200lbs. (around competition) I'm thinking the size 6 is the best option because of the shrinkage issues. Any other comments?

WOW... i also hadn't noticed that they jack up the price when you go up a size.

EDIT: To get a size 5 or 6 the price goes from 146 (totally reasonable) to 179 (sketchy for an untested gi). I think I might be waiting for the next batch of SYR or Subculture.

Last edited:
a big problem with the machado gis were that "adidas" was iron-on transfers. but on romulo's it appears to be stitched. the website confirms this.

5/190cm 5'8" - 6'0"
6/200cm 6'0" - 6'4"+

I'm about 6'1" and 195-200lbs. (around competition) I'm thinking the size 6 is the best option because of the shrinkage issues. Any other comments?

WOW... i also hadn't noticed that they jack up the price when you go up a size.

EDIT: To get a size 5 or 6 the price goes from 146 (totally reasonable) to 179 (sketchy for an untested gi). I think I might be waiting for the next batch of SYR or Subculture.

Im 6' and 240, wide shoulders, Adidas 5 fits me perfectly, im guessing it depends on how long your arms are.

At Kodokan gear they have Adidas actual measurements and their shrinkage.

And yes, they shrink badly when heated and dryed, cold water and hang dry for this one.

What other Gis is the thickness comparable to, being hard to grip? Koral, Gameness etc?

I havent really seen any other gi that is that thick, I think one of my friends old school gameness's were close. And Im 5"11 145lbs. I wear an a2 usually, and in Adidas I wear a 175. But I wash it in cold water and hang dry it b
Posted via Mobile Device

I havent really seen any other gi that is that thick, I think one of my friends old school gameness's were close. And Im 5"11 145lbs. I wear an a2 usually, and in Adidas I wear a 175. But I wash it in cold water and hang dry it b
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you give an approximate weight for the gi?

I'm thinking about picking one of these up. They look comfy:redface:

Back