Adidas Air Mitts-ADIBAC0112 Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by StRatoCastR, Sep 26, 2013.

1. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Welcome ladies and gentlemen. Today is the Adidas Air mitt review:

I was fortunate enough to snag these from Title during their big blow out sale. I believe i paid either 19.99 or 29.99 for these. Either way their were ridiculously cheap. Normal retail price is 119.99 to 149.99. Lets see if they are worth the price! I also want to give Wes a big shout out for always hooking us up and answering questions!

Equipment Overview:
    10 Inches by 8.5 inches surface striking area
    3.75 inches tall (Chunky design)
    Black Leather construction w/ aged gold accents
    Air Mitt design
    Lack of Grip ball
    Mesh finger tip cover
    Weight 13 & 5/8th oz each mitt
    Wrist wedge for stability

The Look:
    Soft Black leather design with Aged gold accents as well as Aged gold circular targets. Stitching is error free, very classy design imo. Mesh fingertip hood for cooling. Vent holes in back of leather hand compartment for additional cooling. Mitts are very chunky by design looks very protective for the wearer. Wrist wedge looks as if it will hold the hand anatomically correct.

Leather/Stitching:
    Leather is pretty good quality, probably around a solid 8. Aged gold stitches are error free, no stupid Adidas stripes are present in the design (thank God). Hand compartment is snug, great feel to it. Doesnt feel cheap.

Performance:
    It will be broken down into 2 categories for performance. 1st is the general overview: The design looks and feels very protective. The foam is very absorbant. The velcro strap is pretty damn timid for a robust mitt like this, it is probably the weak area of the mitt, imo. The hand compartment stays very cool with the vents in the back of the hand compartment with the added mesh in the finger tip area only. The absense of a grip ball however does NOT allow for a REALLY sound hold on the mitt unfortunately. These mitts will really crack in an audible fashion more so than traditional mitts or curved mantis mitts. However, they generate almost no sound if the puncher is even off by little as an inch or two, unlike mantis mitts which can still "trick" the puncher on off technique. You REALLY have to land on the sweet spot, in other words for these mitts to give off that oh so sweet sound.

For the Holder:
    Lets start off with the cons. Lack of a grip ball causes the mitts to slip on misplaced punches or punches that dont hit the mark or simply graze the pads themselves. This requires re-adjustment. It will be consistent if your puncher cant seem to get it together too. Also the weak design of the velcro is pretty piss poor, it is simply too thin, too small for a robust mitt like this. Again because of its timid design this is why it requires constant re-adjustment on well placed or hard shots. The good news is, it is by far the BEST mitt Ive used in terms of shock absorption and protection for the wearer. I can hold mitts easily 4x longer without shock going to my shoulders or elbows. So for older coaches/holders or people with bad joints these will be a godsend. Again, the only negative thing is you may need to constantly re-adjust these mitts. For an inexperienced holder it may prove to be frustrating and annoying. I think the pros outweigh the cons. Also it is a more honest mitt, because you wont get a pop with every shot unlike the forgiveness of mantis mitts. So it lets the puncher know when a shot isnt well placed. Again, i stress these are probably NOT for an inexperienced holder. The wrist wedge keeps your hand in an ideal position. Because of the chunky design you shouldnt get hit on the wrist or other wierd places.

For the Puncher:
    The mitts will REALLY crack when you hit the sweet spot, those will knuckle issues or bad hands will really enjoy these mitts. They are protective for you and your coach, and you can really go to town on these things, heavy bag like! These mitts will also keep you a little more honest than curved mantis mitts as they will give almost zero sound to misplaced shots.

Overall:
    For the sale price these are a steal, alot of us jumped on them when we could. If I could give my own appraisal of these mitts, I would value them at 99 bucks. I dont think they quite warrant the 119 and definitely not 149 price tag. There are those minor issue that hold it back from that full retail value. For older coaches/holders these are in my personal experience the best mitts Ive used but Ive only used about 7-8 different brands at this point. Ive put about 100 rounds into these puppies, the weight is close to 14oz, so they arent too bad weight wise. I love the chunkiness and protectiveness of the mitt itself. The mitt stays WICKEDLY cool. I just wish the velcro was more robust as well sporting a gripball or something to latch onto the mitt a bit better to combat the slippage. I feel the pros outweigh the cons as its just simply annoying to re-adjust but these REALLY save the joints and absorb so well Im willing to overlook some of the minor issues it has.

Score: 90% / A-

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Blair Dennett

Blair Dennett Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Very nice! Looking forward to your review.

I got some of these during the Title sale, and even though they havent seen much use yet, they seem pretty good so far (especially for the $20 per pair they cost me).

3. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

I got the other curved mitts they had on sale for $30. Great set of mitts. I'm looking foward to see how you rate these

4. StRatoCastR

5. Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot I've been a member long enough to get a title...

Damn, knew I should have grabbed these when they were $20. Nice review!

6. StRatoCastR

Yeah brother, i am a firm believer when title does blowout sales you should jump on them immediately. At 1st I always thought something would be wrong or defected with the item, but it is NOT so. Great BRAND NEW gear for a FRACTION of the price.

7. firstDan

firstDan 2-3-2-5

Nice review!
    At $20, these are definitely winners.

Another pro of air mitts is that you're able to throw jabs, crosses, and hooks to the punchers head and not really worry since the mitts are so soft. Getting clipped in the head with a hook from standard mitts isn't pleasant. In this respect I think air mitts are good for beginners as well.

8. StRatoCastR

Yeah good point dan I just think it takes time for the holder get accustomed to holding them.

9. firstDan

firstDan 2-3-2-5

When I say beginners I meant the punchers. I make a point to grab air mitts when training beginners on how to slip, bob, and pull. The tend to eat more than a couple of shots.

BTW do you wear wraps when you hold the mitts? I tend to not even mess with the velcro if I have wraps on.

10. StRatoCastR

Yes and no if im doing a boxing circuit then yes if im purely training my sparring partners then no

11. USMCGixxer6

USMCGixxer6 Brown Belt

do any air mitts have grip balls?

My R2C don't

Good review bro, sad that I missed this deal

12. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

Actually the reason why I opted for the curved ones was because of the grip ball.

13. Blair Dennett

Blair Dennett Purple Belt Professional Fighter

I also agree with your point that the velcro strap doesn't really do anything, even when you cinch it in tight it really doesnt add any support.

14. StRatoCastR

Yeah but curved don't ever provide the level of protection that air does so either way it's Trade off.

@blair yeah like I said its piss poor lol.

15. firstDan

firstDan 2-3-2-5

My Ringsides do.

16. StRatoCastR

Dan link to the right ones?

And how would u rate them (ringside)

17. USMCGixxer6

USMCGixxer6 Brown Belt

ahh, good to know

18. firstDan

firstDan 2-3-2-5

I have pictures of them on this review:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/photo-review-adidas-ultimate-classic-air-stream-mitts-adibac0112-2511439/

Ringside only has one air mitt, the one I have is supposed to be the next iteration, but I think it's probably just cosmetic.

Blair did a review on the originals:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/ringside-air-focus-mitts-ringside-gel-micro-mitts-review-2207491/

I like them better than the Adidas air mitts because of the grip ball and the target has thicker leather so the leather doesn't look as stretched out even though the Ringside has 5 times as many rounds on them. I've never experienced the finger bend that Clamp has, although now that I've typed it, I've probably jinxed myself.

19. goldennboy

goldennboy Brown Belt

So it's a toss up then, either you get more protection or more comfort. Right?

20. StRatoCastR

Exactly GB