Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

Sounds like we found the guy to beat Izzy! Should be a walk in the park.
Izzy is world class striker. Can't be beaten by a striker. Needs a striker-defensive fighter with constant pressure and top control.

I think Cannonier is a tough matchup for him

I expect izzy to win but wouldn't be surprised if Jared wins... so no not cleaned out

Cannonier is probably the biggest hitter in the division, but he has dreadful footwork and doesn't set up his shots well. It was exploited by Whittaker, and it'll look even worse against Izzy.

Though, he did hurt Whittaker after getting his ass kicked for the entire fight, so the puncher's chance is definitely there even late.

I honestly think that Till will give Adesanya a more competitive fight, but it would be incredibly dull.

Great insight bro, just be one of the most dominant wrestlers ever in the sport and Izzy will be easy work.

Wait till all the other MWs hear of this new trick that Dana and Izzy HATE.
you seem to be extremely impressed with Izzy's ground game. Vitorri made his ground game looks fucking awesome! for casuals like you it definitely looks impressive, doesnt it.

Izzy is world class striker. Can't be beaten by a striker. Needs a striker-defensive fighter with constant pressure and top control.

Dan Hardy pointed out that his biggest liability at present is getting caught in a scramble. Vettori set up the RNC attempt because Adesanya abandoned an undertook and opted to give up his back to get off of the ground. He also gave up his back against Romero, the one time that Romero aggressively pushed him to the fence.

He'll probably tighten up his scrambles as time progressives, but it's his biggest area of weakness.

you seem to be extremely impressed with Izzy's ground game. Vitorri made his ground game looks fucking awesome! for casuals like you it definitely looks impressive, doesnt it.

No one is impressed by Adesanyas ground game noob, let me spell it out for you since you seem slow:

UFC doesn't have any dominant wrestlers at the top of 185 so you will just have to stay salty and keep whining about how beatable Izzy is

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

Where is he going to be able to achieve the improvement?

Kelvin beat the piss out of adesanya. Yes. He’s not as good of a striker as his reputation considers him. He took one punch for Romero and was content giving Romero the belt on a coin flip decision. He was scared of jans power and gave him the decision

?? Are you making the point that Anderson *CHOSE* to get subbed by Japanese randos and put up stinkers vs Leites/Maia/Cote? And that somehow makes him so much better than Izzy?

Shitty logic even by Sherdog's low standards.

Obviously didn’t choose to get subbed but he dragged those other fights out.

Oh god...ripping after slipping isn't counter-striking.
Yes. It is.

If you are not striking while using head movement, it isn't counter-striking. It's just head movement. Counter striking means to strike during those moments you are trying to counter, just not getting hit is just defense. Counter striking is defense mixed with offense.

It’s been good enough to win him a title and defend that title multiple times…

i don't see it as a boxing deficiency. his boxing is plenty good especially by MMA standards, he beat the shit out of Rob with punches and gave Gastelum all he could handle too. it's because he was uncomfortable from the takedown threat. even when he reversed and got back up he slowed down considerably, and was much slower to react to Marvin's punches.

i think he was fighting that way because he didn't want to engage too much in the grappling, especially seeing as how much he slowed down from the brief time they were grappling.

I honestly think that the problem is that the UFC is trying to ram this narrative down our throats that Adesanya is this unbeatable force that has zero flaws in his game, which is obviously quite far from the truth. He’s beating a majority of his MW opponents in dominant fashion, except sometimes employing a super conservatives game plan which gives the haters something to gripe about. If the UFC was just a little bit impartial in the commentary in lieu of cheerleading Adesanya, I honestly don’t think he receive the amount of disgruntled fans hating on the guy.

nah, Adesanya himself is the one promoting this narrative. he's the one who constantly says he's going to knock these guys out, acting like they're not even on his level and then he proceeds to fight the most conservative fight possible while still displaying a level of skill superiority that most would consider enough for him to at least attempt to finish.

i'm not saying i agree with people giving him shit. to me, it's understandable given the match up on how he fought, but i do think he deserves it because of the stuff he says before the fight. he said the same shit before the Yoel fight and fought the same way. people don't like fighters who can't back up what they say even if they win.

Obviously didn’t choose to get subbed but he dragged those other fights out.

Exactly, which is why I don't get the ppl saying "Prime Silva wuld've murdered Vettori" when prime Silva had duller fights against lesser fighters.

FFS, Silva vs Maia made Adesanya vs Vettori look like Pacquiao/Hatton.

I'm not even saying Prime Izzy beats Prime Silva, but to act like Silva was on a whole different level like some posters are doing is demonstrably false

Exactly, which is why I don't get the ppl saying "Prime Silva wuld've murdered Vettori" when prime Silva had duller fights against lesser fighters.

FFS, Silva vs Maia made Adesanya vs Vettori look like Pacquiao/Hatton.

I'm not even saying Prime Izzy beats Prime Silva, but to act like Silva was on a whole different level like some posters are doing is demonstrably false

He most certainly was on another level to Israel. That’s not even a slight on Izzy who is a tremendous fighter in his own right, but Anderson is by far the greatest striker MMA has ever seen and he did things that no one will ever replicate.

Look what happened when both guys moved up.

He most certainly was on another level to Israel. That’s not even a slight on Izzy who is a tremendous fighter in his own right, but Anderson is by far the greatest striker MMA has ever seen and he did things that no one will ever replicate.

Look what happened when both guys moved up.

Anderson is definitely NOT on a different level skillwise than Izzy, what is on a different level is their level of competition.

Guys with the skillet of Thales Leites/Cote/Franklin/Lutter aren't sniffing a title shot these days (maybe Franklin if he avoids anyone who knows how to use a Thai clinch)

Speaking of what happened when they moved up Silva literally fought a dude on Xanax I mean c'mon. This is almost as bad as fanboys thinking Babe Ruth would just dominate modern MLB on beer and hotdogs.

Silva was definitely more dominant relative to competition, cause the competition is better now. Also his losses to cans in Pride drove some of his hunger in the UFC, I'm sure. Adesanya doesn't have that killer instinct unless he gets riled up against dudes like Whittaker; otherwise he already has a decorated combat career.

Skillwise though, it's definitely close:

range: Izzy
in close: Silva
jitz: Silva
TDD: Izzy

Styles make fights and looking at that matchup where neither guy is a wrestler and you'd have to favor Izzy.

Pretty obvious to me that he's never been especially comfortable within punching range. I guess you can say it's due to a deficiency. Anderson seemed to get the better of the exchanges when he closed in despite, frankly, being careless. But Izzy didn't have the 1 foot height and 8 inch reach advantage that he has over the majority of guys so he couldn't play the lean and hook game like he did with Costa and Whittaker.

Or maybe Izzy just thinks it's not worth the risk and would rather reset and tee off on dudes with kicks. He is the certified master in that area after all and if you can beat a guy by playing it safe then why not?

The undertone of my post was that it's either him or Usman (I'm gonna edit my post afterwards), so that was in no way a jab on Kamaru.

I agree with you that when you look at performances you can make an argument that Usman has been more dominant. The Jan loss however doesn't really count in this discussion because that happened in a different weight class.

I would say Israel has separated himself more from the pack. If I have to bet, I think Usman will lose his belt before Izzy does. Colby is still a credible threat despite the first loss, Wonderboy and Luque can pose some stylistical challenges, etc. At MW the only guy is Whitaker who Israel has already beaten in a super dominant fashion.

Again both are super dominant champs and really it depends on what you choose to focus on.

Gotcha and agreed. I actually dont see either loosing at least their next fights. Im a Colby supporter believe or not id be rooting for him but i think Usman finishes him early this time around (hope im wrong). Im a huge Whittaker fan and i still see Izzy winning that fight. After that, i cant even say im super excited about a contender in either division.

Back