Adesanya jumps Weidman into top 5 haha

Because he’s 1-4 in the past 3/4 years. That’s why he shouldn’t be ranked in top 5 and maybe not even top 10. If the Patriots go 2-14 next season. They don’t make the playoffs because they did well this year. Get it?

No, I don't get it because in your example you are clearly mixing apples and pears. Also, you seem to have tunnel vision on Weidman with no regards to the others.

Please explain on what basis the #7-#10 (Costa, Brunson, Tavares and Cannonier) should be ranked above Weidman. I am listening.

No, I don't get it because in your example you are clearly mixing apples and pears. Also, you seem to have tunnel vision on Weidman with no regards to the others.

Please explain on what basis the #7-#10 (Costa, Brunson, Tavares and Cannonier) should be ranked above Weidman. I am listening.
From December 2015 to Today:
Weidman is 1-4 with 4 TKO Losses

Costa is 7-0 with all wins by stoppage
Brunson is 4-4
Tavares is 4-1
Cannonier is 4-3

Are you Chris Weidman? Because you seem as delusional as him. Granted, Brunson and Connonier don't have the best records over the past 3 years, but they are still better than Weidmans 1-4 with 4 TKO stoppages.

From December 2015 to Today:
Weidman is 1-4 with 4 TKO Losses

Costa is 7-0 with all wins by stoppage
Brunson is 4-4
Tavares is 4-1
Cannonier is 4-3

Are you Chris Weidman? Because you seem as delusional as him. Granted, Brunson and Connonier don't have the best records over the past 3 years, but they are still better than Weidmans 1-4 with 4 TKO stoppages.

You don't understand how rankings work. Winning streaks is not all the matters. If you have long streaks against unranked or lower ranked fighters you don't get to jump to top of the pack.

You don't understand how rankings work. Winning streaks is not all the matters. If you have long streaks against unranked or lower ranked fighters you don't get to jump to top of the pack.
No guy. You are missing the point. How long do you want to credit somebody for wins they got over 3 years ago? Why is he ranked in 2019 for shit the guy did in 2014?

Also if you have losing streak should you sit on your spot forever?

Israel beat #6, #8 and #15 and has a winning streak.

Weidman beat #8 and lost 4 fights via TKO.

Why in the world is Luke ranked 2nd while Adesanya ranked 5th?

If you are ranking on recent activity, Luke probably shouldn't even be in the top 10. If you are ranking based on who would beat who (hypothetically), Adesanya hasn't proven much of anything against the top-tier of the division.

No guy. You are missing the point. How long do you want to credit somebody for wins they got over 3 years ago? Why is he ranked in 2019 for shit the guy did in 2014?

I am getting your point and I agree it is an unusual situation. You are missing mine though, which is nobody has done better than him meanwhile. Costa's best and only win against a ranked opponent is against current #13 Hall. You would rank him above Weidman who holds a victory over current title contender. That just seems ludicrous to me.

We can also agree to disagree btw, I have no interest in running in circles.

Also if you have losing streak should you sit on your spot forever?

Israel beat #6, #8 and #15 and has a winning streak.

Weidman beat #8 and lost 4 fights via TKO.

For the umpteenth time, rankings consider also who you fight, not only what kind of W/L streak you have.

I am getting your point and I agree it is an unusual situation. You are missing mine though, which is nobody has done better than him meanwhile. Costa's best and only win against a ranked opponent is against current #13 Hall. You would rank him above Weidman who holds a victory over current title contender. That just seems ludicrous to me.

Gastelum's status today has nothing to do Weidman's victory over #8 ranked Gastelum. That's how it should be IMO.

Of course we can agree to disagree. The only other point I'll make, is that we don't know how Weidman would do against the lower ranked guys nowadays....because he hasn't fought them. Not his fault. But all we have seen from him, is him getting stopped by the top guys (4 times). So the only hard evidence we have to go on, in the past 3 years, is that Weidman has been losing and these other guys have been winning.

Now, how far we go with this subjectivity of strength of competition is the question. If it was one fight he got stopped by a top guy, I'd say leave him ranked high. But this is 4 times in the past 3 years, with only 1 win. I think it's reasonable to drop his wrestler-head ass down a bit and let him beat some contenders to climb back up.

Gastelum's status today has nothing to do Weidman's victory over #8 ranked Gastelum. That's how it should be IMO.

I guarantee that as soon as one of the guys ranked below Weidman beat him or someone ranked above him they'll jump ahead of him in the rankings. Happy now?

Still My Boy must be fuming with the overrated Israel ranked above him.

MIDDLEWEIGHT
Champion: Robert Whittaker
1 Yoel Romero
2 Luke Rockhold
3 Jacare Souza
4 Kelvin Gastelum
5 Israel Adesanya +1
6 Chris Weidman -1
7 Paulo Costa
8 Derek Brunson
9 Jared Cannonier
10 Brad Tavares
11 David Branch
12 Antonio Carlos Junior
13 Uriah Hall
14 Elias Theodorou
15 Anderson Silva

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/2/12/13302038/ufc-234-rankings-israel-adesanya-mma
Lol at Theodorou above Anderson... That guy absolutely sucks.

So much for Adesanya running around calling himself the #1 contender

I guarantee that as soon as one of the guys ranked below Weidman beat him or someone ranked above him they'll jump ahead of him in the rankings. Happy now?
Like I said you can't sit on a spot forever.

Only recent results should be considered.

How many recent top 5 victories Weidman has?

His last one was against Vitor (#3) and Machida (#3) before that. That's 2015. We're in 2019. You can't hold the same status.

Israel doesn't have to beat Weidman or anyone above Weidman to jump ahead of Weidman because Weidman's results speak for himself. Israel's ranking also depends on Weidman's status and vice versa.

You can't jump ahead if the guy didn't lost a fight yet. But if the guy is losing and you are winning better fights, then why wouldn't you be able to jump over.

Rockhold also has 1-2 in last 3+ years and he's still #2 somehow. Plus, he's basically LHW at this point.

Also catchweight victories shouldn't have an impact on rankings (Wonderboy-Till, Lamas-Emmett, Romero at MW).
Romero's last middleweight win is coming from 2016 and last fight 2017 (Whittaker's 1st loss), however he's still #1 ranked guy.
I'd put him on #4 and Jacare on #3 (Jacare fought better ranked Gastelum than Chris), Gastelum #1, Israel #2.
If you are losing, missing weight or staying inactive / declining fights, well, then don't be surpirsed if someone jumps ahead.

That’s not shocking at all Chris hasn’t had a good win in a while

MW is a pretty crazy division. A lot of the top 10 could easily be champs.

Like I said you can't sit on a spot forever.

Only recent results should be considered.

How many recent top 5 victories Weidman has?

His last one was against Vitor (#3) and Machida (#3) before that. That's 2015. We're in 2019. You can't hold the same status.

Israel doesn't have to beat Weidman or anyone above Weidman to jump ahead of Weidman because Weidman's results speak for himself. Israel's ranking also depends on Weidman's status and vice versa.

You can't jump ahead if the guy didn't lost a fight yet. But if the guy is losing and you are winning better fights, then why wouldn't you be able to jump over.

Rockhold also has 1-2 in last 3+ years and he's still #2 somehow. Plus, he's basically LHW at this point.

Also catchweight victories shouldn't have an impact on rankings (Wonderboy-Till, Lamas-Emmett, Romero at MW).
Romero's last middleweight win is coming from 2016 and last fight 2017 (Whittaker's 1st loss), however he's still #1 ranked guy.
I'd put him on #4 and Jacare on #3 (Jacare fought better ranked Gastelum than Chris), Gastelum #1, Israel #2.
If you are losing, missing weight or staying inactive / declining fights, well, then don't be surpirsed if someone jumps ahead.

You are basically making your own criteria up as you go along. I can agree with them on a personal basis, but they are still subjective and debatable. For the record, I am all in favor for more transparent and clear-cut rules for determining rankings, which also take inactivity into account. But this isn't the case yet.

Back