News Adesanya: Jones is stupid for bulking up to HW, No plan to add weight for 205 Jump

I’m not very well versed in how MMA fighters figure out gamble versus gain in cutting weight, size advantage, and hurting performance, so I won’t pretend to be educated on the subject besides employment of common sense...

At LHW Jon Jones cuts from 225-230 all the way down to 205 for his fights, makes weight and within a +/-36 hour period rehydrates to +/-220 (although there are accounts of his fight weight being as high as 224 earlier in his career). So his fight weight that he’s accustomed to and been performing at his entire career is already at small HW standards, I’m guessing he plans to only bulk maybe 5-10 pounds over a years period to get his weight up around 230-235 mark. I’m honestly trying to figure out what Izzbert is going on about here, he’s essentially fighting within 3-5% of his actual LHW fight weight without the shock of having to dehydrate and replenish his body... common sense would suggest If anything as long as he doesn’t add too much muscle he should be performing as good if not better than his days at 205, considering that his body doesn’t have to endure the trauma of a weight cut 36 hours prior to showtime...

what am I missing here, serious question

How much weight has Jones put on? If he’s fighting at HW around 230 that’s totally fine, 235+ would be troublesome.

this aint kickboxing bro.
grappling is involved. Weight somewhat matters there.

So Izzy fought HW at 220lbs in Kickboxing, so you'd imagine his weight would be somewhere around here at HW in the UFC.
Anyone know what his walk about weight is? I wouldn't be surprised if his LHW fight he came in at 205.

Are you suggesting he cuts 30-40 lbs to fight at MW?

Plus there's no takedowns in kickboxing. etc.

The most obvious reason why weight matters a lot more in mma. Especially when talking about guys that are proficient in wrestling, and even clinching.

GSP also has a small, like modern LW sized, frame. Izzy is like 6'2/6'3" with an 80" reach. He won't need as much muscle mass to compensate to not be a manlet in the cage.

It's like Nick Diaz actually weighs less than Johnny Hendricks at 170. I also know that 6'2" Nick Diaz could go right up to 185 lbs and not get dwarfed. 5'9" Johnny can't, and would need to go on a lean muscle building program, even though he already has more lean mass than Nick Diaz.

Ironic that Prime Johny Hendricks would Be smaller than Nick but would have slammed NIck through the canvas or possibly even 1 punched him.

Are you suggesting he cuts 30-40 lbs to fight at MW?
No I wasn't really suggesting anything, asking a question that someone already answered.. He cuts around 20lbs if they are correct.

Fascinating; from a guy who wasn’t interested in fighting Jones but is all over fighting the lesser guy who took the belt when Jones abdicated. That kind of idiotic logic is positively deranged.

That's from last November. Izzy had a 2 year plan that included clearing out the MW division AND adding size naturally. That's exactly why he said don't rush me. He's rushing himself now because he sees Jan as easy work but if Jon was still champ he'd be like "I gotta stick to my plans and not deviate from it."
But of course. Or are you insisting new facts change nothing? A sane person adjusts to the situation.

Back