News Adesanya: Jones is stupid for bulking up to HW, No plan to add weight for 205 Jump

Brodie

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
“That’s Jon ‘Blow’ Jones downfall,” Adesanya told Submission Radio. “Like, ‘I need to move up in weight, pack on the size’. Some people are just stupid, they play the game so stupid. I’ve done it at kickboxing, I weighed in at heavyweight with my clothes on and a tray of Dunkin Donuts in my hand, and I was like 90-something kilograms. Like, skills, bro.”

“Yeah, sure, you want to put on size? Alright. Is your body used to being that heavy? Are you used to moving around that heavy with the work-rate you were doing with all your previous fights? Yeah, I just don’t play the game like everyone else,” Adesanya continued. “I’ll just chill, I’ll stay me. I’m gonna get stronger, I always do, but I’m not gonna purposely put on muscle just so I can be at a weight class. Stupid.”

DC had similar thoughts on Jones putting on muscle previously
The reality is, when I saw him getting so bulky, as a competitor, I thought, 'Wow, this isn't bad for me.' Because the Jon Jones that was kind of skinny and not the bulkiest guy, it all worked. His body, the way his body was it worked. It allowed him to have range, to have optimal speed and it allowed him for quickness and agility. With all the extra bulk, to me it was like maybe it will slow him down. Maybe he won't be the fastest guy, maybe this guy is messing with what was given to him and the reality is, what was given to him has been perfect

Izzy literally said he had a 2 year plan and wanted to add some weight before moving to LHW after winning the belt.

That is a LIE.

He never said he was going to add weight. In fact he has been adamant that he was going to fight at current weight at LHW and HW just without the cut

He constantly referenced the time he weighed in fully clothed with donuts

Very interesting take from Izzy!!

Adesanya talks like he knocked Hari, Verhoeven and Hoost out cold. He has fought no HW kickboxers lol, they were all small themselves below 100kg , 220 Ibs for us, and part time fighters

Anyways yeah Adesanya will of course add weight and won't come in under 204/205 . Jones the same for HW, although Jones doesn't need to add lots of weight, just come in around 235 and he will be totally fine and do well, he should not come in at 245+ because he will become slow and sluggish I think. 230-238 range will be good for Jones

That is a LIE.

He never said he was going to add weight. In fact he has been adamant that he was going to fight at current weight at LHW and HW just without the cut

He constantly referenced the time he weighed in fully clothed with donuts
So you're saying he didn't say he had a 2 year plan and doesn't need to get rushed to LHW?

You probably forgot to told Jon he had to fight him at MW if he wanted to fight too?
“I just got my middleweight title in April, and I defended it for the first time in October,” Adesanya told MMA Fighting. “I want to defend my belt against all the middleweights that are the biggest threats supposedly before I jump up in weight. If Jon wants to fight me now, he’s got to come down to middleweight.

That's from last November. Izzy had a 2 year plan that included clearing out the MW division AND adding size naturally. That's exactly why he said don't rush me. He's rushing himself now because he sees Jan as easy work but if Jon was still champ he'd be like "I gotta stick to my plans and not deviate from it."

Agreed...

Especially when his style relies on speed and movement. Bigger muscles wouldn’t really help him too much.
Yup.

Always depends on the match up too, of course.
Generally, strikers who move up without really getting heavier, do (if they don't lack power) very good in the striking when moving up, but in terms of grappling it can be detrimental, due to the strength-difference.

A good example for this is imo Gastelum at 185. Really fast and dangerous on the feet, but struggles with big grapplers like Weidman and Hermansson.

Moving up worked well for Whittaker and Till too, for these reasons (and because they're not depleted at 185).

And how exactly is he going to deal with the size of a 220 plus guy in fight night ?

Back