Adesanya is one tittie defense away from GOAT MW status

Anderson is the goat still for duration. Izzy overtook Franklin though he's number 2. If Izzy beats Whittaker again he's going to have a problem finding viable opponents like Anderson. I could see him rematching Kelvin, assuming Kelvin wins his next fight.

Dude, Franklin is hardly even a top10 MM of all time, let alone top3, with his 8-3 record in the division, best wins Tanner and Okami in an extremely close dec.

Cut that gross UFC bias and get real

Israel has looked so average in most of his fights though.

Anderson would still be ahead of Israel as P4P GOAT mainly due to top5 wins at WW and LHW (Sakurai and Griffin) but their MW resume will be on par very soon imo

Anderson
#1-Belfort
#2-Henderson
#3-Franklin
#4-Sonnen
#5-Okami
#6- Marquardt
#7- Maia
#8- Horn

Adesanya
#1 - Whittaker
#2 - Romero
#3 - Costa
#4 - Vettori
#5 - Gastelum
#6 - Silva (washed up)
#7 - Brunson
#8 - Tavares

I'd say Israel is pretty close already
Does Leites, Newton, Murray, Coté, Lutter, Leben or Rivera add much to Anderson's GOAT MW status over Israel?

Hindsight is always 20/20. What makes you think Vettori will be remembered any better than Leben or Leites? Same with Costa. He could lose his next 20 fights. I don't see much reason to think Bunson/Tavares will be remembered as much better than Leben/Cote/Leites/Lutter.

Even Romero could be dismissed as old, Gastelum as a WW, you get the idea.

Adesanya has a ways to go and needs more volume wins or more high quality wins.

He beat average Vettori who lost to Shoeface and went to draw with Omari and now he's the GOAT

LMAO NOT EVEN CLOSE

people dont respect the present time. in 5-10 years time we would be looking at Izzy in a different way, hes just so unlikeable as a person which causes bias opinion in live time.

he’s defended his belt 3 times. Anderson defended 10 times lol. He also beat top LHWs in that time.

I get recency bias is a thing but good grief…

Dan Henderson was a better MW and in his prime would have smashed Israel. So no he is no GOAT or anywhere close.

I should've underlined/highlighted the word "regular" re title vs non-title fights.

You were talking about guys who were champions at one point and still in their primes; so your point is valid.
It also happens to be my contention; so...

Silva being Cote (not an ATG or on anyone's ATG contender's list like Joe B or Fitch for example) was more important than Izzy beating Brunson (who was 2-2 in his last 4.)

I disagree that Cote is a more important win than Brunson.
Brunson has been in the top10 rankings for years now - much longer than Coté - and he is also at the top of the rankings by nº of wins in UFC MW division history. He also beat - and finished - better opponents than Coté.

Considering Coté a more important win just because he fought for the tittle as an injury replacement is silly to me. A good example of why nº of tittle defense is an important metric, but taken uncritically can be very void too.

By the way I consider Jeremy Horn, and Carlos Newton because of the ending, and arguably even Lee Murray for the Cage Rage belt, as better wins in the MW resume of Anderson Silva than Patrick Coté. Yes, even if Cote was at the right place at the right time to contend for the UFC tittle in a thin division.

Dude, Franklin is hardly even a top10 MM of all time, let alone top3, with his 8-3 record in the division, best wins Tanner and Okami in an extremely close dec.

What's your deal with Rich Franklin??! Did he touch you in a bad place when you were a kid or what? Threads not even about Franklin and you always bring the guy up a little obsessed are we

What's your deal with Rich Franklin??! Did he touch you in a bad place when you were a kid or what? Threads not even about Franklin and you always bring the guy up a little obsessed are we

Dude, it was the sherbro I was replying who brought up Franklin, saying that Israel had "overtaken" him for the #2 spot lol

The fact there are so many brain-washed fanboys in these boards so delusional to think that Franklin is #2 MW of all-time is probably the reason why you read me taking that myth down before

Anderson would still be ahead of Israel as P4P GOAT mainly due to top5 wins at WW and LHW (Sakurai and Griffin) but their MW resume will be on par very soon imo

Anderson
#1-Belfort
#2-Henderson
#3-Franklin
#4-Sonnen
#5-Okami
#6- Marquardt
#7- Maia
#8- Horn

Adesanya
#1 - Whittaker
#2 - Romero
#3 - Costa
#4 - Vettori
#5 - Gastelum
#6 - Silva (washed up)
#7 - Brunson
#8 - Tavares

I'd say Israel is pretty close already
Does Leites, Newton, Murray, Coté, Lutter, Leben or Rivera add much to Anderson's GOAT MW status over Israel?

Adesanya is already the tittie GOAT. 2 tittie defenses surpassed everyone. Not many championship fighters have titties though...so that's not saying much.

I'll say this. Whether I agree with your statements or not, you always argue with logic while a many of your detractors argue emotionally based and close minded.

If thats the only criteria Rich Frankin is top5 MW of all-time and it should not be explained why thats ridiculous. Much respect to Rich though

The 1972 Dolphins are considered one of if not the greatest NFL team ever, though every modern team is better in absolute terms. Jesse Owens is considered one of the greatest sprinters ever, despite hundreds of high school students beating his best times. Issac Newton is considered one of the greatest scientists ever (tied with Einstein when physicists vote on the physics GOAT), despite any 2nd year physics student today knowing more about physics and calculus than he ever did. Same for Darwin.

The point is, greatness is measured by how you do against the best of your time, not how you'd do against the best of modern times. Though I like the idea of being able to walk around claiming I'm a greater scientist than Newton and Darwin -- unfortunately anywhere but Sherdog people would say that's ridiculous, as only on Sherdog do people think greatness is relative to the best of today rather than the best of their day. On Sherdog though most of us are greater scientists than Newton and Darwin, greater mathematicians than Archimedes (for some reason actual working mathematicians think he's one of the greatest).

The number of successful defenses is one of the best indicator of how good someone was, just as the number of Olympic gold medals or Grand Slam tennis wins or NBA MPV's are great indicators of greatness. And I think actually you at least partially agree, or you wouldn't be saying respect to him -- why respect him if he wasn't great in his day?

I like how most posters that don't agree with OP just resort to simpleton "lol no" posts and insults (kind of), without trying to discuss his arguments.

He has a long way to go to get to Andersons level. Anderson moved up a few times to fight 205ers and completely dominated them. Didn't work out too well for Adesanya. He's not even close to Andersons level.

Adesanya fought a much much better 205 than Griffin, Bonnar and Irvin. And it was a bad stylistic matchup on top of that. Silva was spoofed perfect style matchups at 205.

The 1972 Dolphins are considered one of if not the greatest NFL team ever, though every modern team is better in absolute terms. Jesse Owens is considered one of the greatest sprinters ever, despite hundreds of high school students beating his best times. Issac Newton is considered one of the greatest scientists ever (tied with Einstein when physicists vote on the physics GOAT), despite any 2nd year physics student today knowing more about physics and calculus than he ever did. Same for Darwin.

The point is, greatness is measured by how you do against the best of your time, not how you'd do against the best of modern times. Though I like the idea of being able to walk around claiming I'm a greater scientist than Newton and Darwin -- unfortunately anywhere but Sherdog people would say that's ridiculous, as only on Sherdog do people think greatness is relative to the best of today rather than the best of their day. On Sherdog though most of us are greater scientists than Newton and Darwin, greater mathematicians than Archimedes (for some reason actual working mathematicians think he's one of the greatest).

The number of successful defenses is one of the best indicator of how good someone was, just as the number of Olympic gold medals or Grand Slam tennis wins or NBA MPV's are great indicators of greatness. And I think actually you at least partially agree, or you wouldn't be saying respect to him -- why respect him if he wasn't great in his day?

I agree with what you just said but relative to the post you are replying to...

Comparing the legitimacy of the UFC MW belt back in 2005 with the Olympics, or the NBA, or a Grand Slam in tennis is either clueless or dishonest.

Jesse Owens wasnt beating the Quarry or Loiseau of his time, but the universally recognized fastest men on Earth at the time. Same for Jordan or the Dolphins in their respective fields

Last edited:
Adesanya fought a much much better 205 than Griffin, Bonnar and Irvin. And it was a bad stylistic matchup on top of that. Silva was spoofed perfect style matchups at 205.

You mean Cormier?

1dd87b80-0391-11eb-bb7b-e70399b4871c
Tattoo should read ‘BROKEN NIPPLE’

Back