Adesanya deserves a ton of credit.

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Romero is a monster. Not many guys fights a monster like that when you are a title holder when you don't have to. I mean, not just a title holder. These days, no one seems to fight tough guys, unless you have to, or they are ranked higher than you.

Look at Anderson. Tried to be best friends with Jon Jones while calling out smaller man in GSP like a real man, also trying to be BFF with Jacare as well. Ducked Weidman and only had guts to fight him when Weidman was coming off a lay off longer than a year, and promptly proceeded to get knocked out like a clown.

Maybe Adesanya isn't as likable as some fighters. But he deserves massive credit for this. I don't think this is a great idea tho. I would have advised Adesanya against taking Romero fight when he didn't have to but oh well. Romero beat Whitakker in the second fight anyway.

Romero is a monster. Not many guys fights a monster like that when you are a title holder when you don't have to. I mean, not just a title holder. These days, no one seems to fight tough guys, unless you have to, or they are ranked higher than you.

Look at Anderson. Tried to be best friends with Jon Jones while calling out smaller man in GSP like a real man, also trying to be BFF with Jacare as well. Ducked Weidman and only had guts to fight him when Weidman was coming off a lay off longer than a year, and promptly proceeded to get knocked out like a clown.

Maybe Adesanya isn't as likable as some fighters. But he deserves massive credit for this. I don't think this is a great idea tho. I would have advised Adesanya against taking Romero fight when he didn't have to but oh well. Romero beat Whitakker in the second fight anyway.
why doesn't he have to fight top contenders? who could he be fighting that's a much easier fight? lol at anderson ducking a guy with 9 fights who he actually fought. pathetic hate thread.......wow.

I don't appreciate you low key hating on Anderson and I disagree on Romero beating Whittaker but I certainly agree that Izzy is for real and not afraid of anyone. I would NEVER want to fight Romero, no matter how dominant I'd be as champ - fighting Yoel is fucking with DANGER.

I know that many Yoel fans would be super happy if Yoel beat Izzy and got the strap but then you guys would really have to appreciate the sheer fact that Izzy agreed to fight Yoel on a 2 fight losing streak. He certainly could refuse and almost nobody would hold it against him.

Silva jab is silly and necessary.

He did take and dominate fights at 205.

well, adesanya > anderson

image.jpg

The thing I really like about Adesanya is he is very active, he fights very often and doesn't take long breaks. He doesn't have all these "mysterious injuries" like every UFC champ seems to have after a win these days. He said he wants to defend the belt 5 times this year, and I believe him because look at his whole kickboxing career and MMA career. he fights very often and quick and doesn't take breaks. He is the real deal.. This is EXACTLY what we need and want from a UFC champion.

Adesanya will lose this year...too much hype around this guy.

I agree.

However, I also agree with where Israel is coming from. It's his confidence in himself and seeking out the biggest challenges (and taking them head on) that makes him the fighter he is. It shows with his fighting style and risks he takes in the cage.

The truth is his financial future is basically secured after his next fight (minus the ridiculous car purchases) so that isn't really his big concern. His concern is fighting the best and proving that's him. He wants to silence all doubters including the most important one:
The voice inside his head.

I wouldn't change a thing about him or try to make him change.
I'm picking Yoel though. Something in me says Yoel gets it done. He's had too many close calls and physically hasn't seemed to fall off much if any at his age. Plus it would make me happy for Yoel.
But I kinda hope Izzy gets it done too.

I'm gonna be sad whoever loses this one and happy for whoever wins.

Took me a while to accept the dancing and showboating, but Adesanya is the kind of champ we want and the kind of champ the sport needs. Enough with the lame call-outs and bum mentalities. This is about who's the best fighter.

(EDIT: Whittaker had that champ mentality too, he just couldn't stay active)

I believe he has the skills, range and IQ needed to pick apart 5"10 old Romero and get the late KO. He also has a very clever team in NZ. Can't wait to see these guys stand across from each other

Last edited:

he's fighting a guy coming off a loss....and.....

Talking about smaller men, GSP never had issues fighting smaller men like BJ Penn, a natural lightweight. The only time he had the balls to move up was when he cherry picked the weakest MW champ in history, who had one eye and was pushing 40.

At least Anderson had the balls to move up many times.

I don't appreciate you low key hating on Anderson and I disagree on Romero beating Whittaker but I certainly agree that Izzy is for real and not afraid of anyone. I would NEVER want to fight Romero, no matter how dominant I'd be as champ - fighting Yoel is fucking with DANGER.

I know that many Yoel fans would be super happy if Yoel beat Izzy and got the strap but then you guys would really have to appreciate the sheer fact that Izzy agreed to fight Yoel on a 2 fight losing streak. He certainly could refuse and almost nobody would hold it against him.

I personally see izzy winning this fight. I think costa would be a much harder fight...costa is super aggressive, relentless in his pressure...that seems to work better against izzy....romero is more of a counter striker...he sits back and waits to explode with strikes...izzy is too long and his reach is too great for that to work...I see izzy easily picking apart romero.

Seems like a veiled hate thread a little bit, but this is one of the few times i'm cool with a guy coming off a loss getting this kind of shot. Costa is on the shelf from surgery so there's time to wait out for him to return, so izzy is ready to fight he shouldn't have to wait on that kind of recovery. That decision was super hotly contested anyways so it's not even like Yoel was a clear loser against Costa whos the rightful #1 contender, and I believe Paulo should keep that designation upon his recovery and return. And the only other possible contenders that make any sense rank wise are Cannonier, and Till ranked just behind Yoel but neither have near enough presence at MW yet to be fighting for the title really as they have almost no exposure at the weight class. So unless you're giving whittaker his "champions rematch" yoel is really the only option while Paulo recovers and Cannonier and Till take more fights to get their footing in the division. Just my opinion though.

*quotations added
...Look at Anderson. Tried to be best friends with Jon Jones while calling out smaller man in GSP like a real man, also trying to be BFF with Jacare as well. Ducked Weidman and only had guts to fight him when Weidman was coming off a lay off longer than a year, and promptly proceeded to get knocked out like a clown.
Maybe Adesanya isn't as likable as some fighters. But he deserves massive credit for this. I don't think this is a great idea tho. I would have * "advised" Adesanya against taking Romero fight when he didn't have to but oh well. Romero beat Whitakker in the second fight anyway.

Did it ever occur to you (within the span of three of your own sentences) that professional fighters are surrounded by all varieties of imperious Einsteins just like yourself that are commonly giving them insider tips and "advice" about who and when they should be fighting.

Last edited:
OP's the kinda guy who a year from now will be shitting on Adesanya beating Romero (if it happens) because Romero was an overrated fighter past his prime.

Back