Adesanya became champ in 20 months and has only focused on MMA for a few years.

Alright I'm not sure if you even actually train MMA or martial arts to a decent level at least but there are so many things you have to know about MMA that it becomes so difficult to become good at everything.
I dont think it is easy at all for a regular person to start any MMA sport in their late teens and become elite, there are simply way too many people who have are training MMA or combat sports from a very young age and thats what you're seeing at the moment as the years evolve. Fighters talk about it, how todays up and comers are already so good compared to the previous generation. Point being the talent pool is only getting tougher as more people become aware of MMA and their understand of what works and what doesnt improves etc.

delusional af.

I do know that you can be bad at multiple areas as a MMA fighter, because MMA rewards versatility over specialization.

MMA is probably the only combat sport where you can start late and still be successful (its super rare for fighters to begin their careers before the age of 18)

amateur Kickboxing is the biggest joke and I think that MMAs amateur scene is even a bigger joke.

Last edited:
But doesn't Sherdog always shit on pro boxers about wrestling?

Oh they will come in and get submitted. They will come in and have no ground skills.
That is Sherdog.

I think the OP is just stating that just because you are in a different combat sport doesn't mean you can't hack it in MMA within 1-2 years training.
True.

Izzy is still pretty susceptible to getting taken down and subbed tho... it's just that there was nobody in his path that could do that well enough. Izzy got a bit of the Conor treatment, you may agree? I mean not getting Romero on the way to TS is pretty fucking awesome for a striker, huh? And now Romero is declining rapidly so not that big of a threat.

Absolutely not shitting on Izzy's achievement, he is awesome and I love watching him and he fully deserves the belt BUT if there was a MW equivalent of Khabib in there I'm sure he'd be champ. Then again, guys like Khabib don't come often.

WAR ANY OPPONENTS!!

06860add01db67f2a7a729e88fc8fc84.png

that tells you 2 things
1. mma is still green.
2. MW is dead.
I heard that he's been preparing/training for MMA for a while.

It seems like he's mapped out his career quite well and is patient enough to wait for the right moment.

Didn't wanna come to the UFC too early.

Didn't wanna train with DC even when he wasn't in the UFC because he figured that he might have to fight Rockhold someday.

Didn't wanna fight for the title too early and isn't rushing into a fight with Jones either.

Seems like Izzy and his camp are smart . Unlike another "hot" prospect like Till that either gets absolutely demolished or wins a boring ass fight against a top guy.......

Being ballsy is good but being ballsy and smart is so much better !

He's been training MMA for like 8 years.....

He is a marketing product built to be a champion

He's been training MMA for like 8 years.....

but took it srsly after his kickboxing career.

i mean ... my brother trained muay thai for at least 5 years but took it srsly after his soccer "career".

My brother learned/improved this year more than in the last 5 years.

Back