Adesanya became champ in 20 months and has only focused on MMA for a few years.

He is a legit MMA fighter. Not a pure striker.

You sound clueless with posts like that. And this is 2019. Not 2000...

What were his wrestling grappling and bjj credentials again?

He debuted in the UFC and 20 months later was the champ.

He had 1 MMA fight in 2012, 1 in 2013. In 2015 he had 3 MMA fights and 5 boxing fights, but was also kickboxing until 2017.

That is insane when you think about it. He really only has been solely focusing on MMA since the very end of 2017 early 2018. Not even 2 years of primarily focusing on MMA and he is already the UFC champ.

I know he had 6 years of previous striking experience, but it goes to show that if the right person gets into it, it wont take long to become elite.

Manuaw was 28 (with no bakcground) when he started with MMA. He even lied about his grappling skills and almost made it to the top.

Last edited:
He debuted in the UFC and 20 months later was the champ.

He had 1 MMA fight in 2012, 1 in 2013. In 2015 he had 3 MMA fights and 5 boxing fights, but was also kickboxing until 2017.

That is insane when you think about it. He really only has been solely focusing on MMA since the very end of 2017 early 2018. Not even 2 years of primarily focusing on MMA and he is already the UFC champ.

I know he had 6 years of previous striking experience, but it goes to show that if the right person gets into it, it wont take long to become elite.

Adesanya often gives bad taste in my mouth, I mean the whole Narute-meme-Ok Boomer rant cringe & shit, but to put all that aside, and to comment on what you just said, what that he had achieve in his UFC tenure so far is indeed impressive.

That was Anderson, he was the one, he matrixed people and set all of the records.
Izzy doesn't even have bjj and grapling. He relies solely on tdd to keep it standing.
Can't go far with that.

For a guy who can't grapple its awfully strange that Kelvin was defending submissions and couldn't hold him down while he had the chance. For a skillset that can't get him far, it sure is kinda weird that he's the undisputed champion.

Clown world bullshit.

Tell me gsp "wrestling creds"

Or just dont. Take the point instead.

Smh
WHo was a better wreslter/grappler in WW division aside from Shields?
Izzy recently transitioned from kick boxing, the guy is still s rookie in mma, but is making progress.

For a guy who can't grapple its awfully strange that Kelvin was defending submissions and couldn't hold him down while he had the chance. For a skillset that can't get him far, it sure is kinda weird that he's the undisputed champion.

Clown world bullshit.
Thank you!

I just remember how as soon as he came in everyone was saying he was all hype and was going to get KO'd and now he is the champion.

Love how he shut the haters up

He did it the right way. Not many people realise how long and extensively he has actually been preparing for his UFC career years before it even happened. His team created a brilliant system that worked

He could have joined the UFC very early in his MMA career but he wanted to properly build his skill up and develop properly. If he had gotten in the UFC too early he would not have been undefeated nor and been as successful

Well, he's been doing combat sports for the last 12 years... it's not like he STARTED 20 months ago.

But yeah, he is an amazing talent, I'll give you that.
But he only started training MMA 7 years ago and only 2 years ago did he completely focus on doing MMA
And since than he became the MW champion in his first go going unbeaten, thats actually insane...

Well, he's been doing combat sports for the last 12 years... it's not like he STARTED 20 months ago.

But yeah, he is an amazing talent, I'll give you that.

But doesn't Sherdog always shit on pro boxers about wrestling?

Oh they will come in and get submitted. They will come in and have no ground skills.
That is Sherdog.

I think the OP is just stating that just because you are in a different combat sport doesn't mean you can't hack it in MMA within 1-2 years training.

Looks like he trained very smart. Izzy picked up the skills that he would need to effectively use his striking in MMA. He has good takedown defence and great distance control in the cage
His kickboxing skills translate well to MMA because the main reason why a lot of kickboxers have trouble in MMA is because they're so use to having big gloves so when someone punches they can cover up effectively, but with the MMA gloves the punches can go right through you and you'll just get taken down if you just stand there and cover up

I just remember how as soon as he came in everyone was saying he was all hype and was going to get KO'd and now he is the champion.

Love how he shut the haters up

Hes a legit striker compared to the other guys.

He did it the right way. Not many people realise how long and extensively he has actually been preparing for his UFC career years before it even happened. His team created a brilliant system that worked

He could have joined the UFC very early in his MMA career but he wanted to properly build his skill up and develop properly. If he had gotten in the UFC too early he would not have been undefeated nor and been as successful

He took MMA srsly after his kickboxing career, hes good.

Manuaw was 28 when he started with MMA and had no background, but he almost made it to the top.

Hes a legit striker compared to the other guys.

He took MMA srsly after his kickboxing career, hes good, but this also says a lot about MMAs talent pool.

Manuaw was 28 when he started with MMA and had no background, but he almost made it to the top.
I dont think you could definitively say that about the talent pool at middleweight
you're excluding other variables such as what if Adesanya is extremley talented in the sense that he is an outlier where he can just pick up things so well and is so gifted in that sense, or what if his coaches developed a ground breaking method of teaching that propelled his progression rapidly. Also the talent pool at middleweight suggests otherwise, there are many many high level ifghters there who have dedicated their lives to combat sports and arent even close to where Adesanya is

WHo was a better wreslter/grappler in WW division aside from Shields?
Izzy recently transitioned from kick boxing, the guy is still s rookie in mma, but is making progress.
how can you be a rookie in MMA yet be the undisputed MW champ in the UFC??
Are you retarded? U good??

I dont think you could definitively say that about the talent pool at middleweight
you're excluding other variables such as what if Adesanya is extremley talented in the sense that he is an outlier where he can just pick up things so well and is so gifted in that sense, or what if his coaches developed a ground breaking method of teaching that propelled his progression rapidly. Also the talent pool at middleweight suggests otherwise, there are many many high level ifghters there who have dedicated their lives to combat sports and arent even close to where Adesanya is

Most MMA guys dont even understand distance and how to control, cant throw a good jab ... they lack the basics.

MW , LHW and HW are trash but you can still start MMA in your late teens and make it to the top.

defensive wrestling/grappling are billion times easier than offensive wrestling/grappling.

combat sports talent pool in general is the biggest joke .. In other sports the B, C, D and E leagues are still pretty talented.

Most MMA guys dont even understand distance and how to control, cant throw a good jab ... they lack the basics.

MW , LHW and HW are trash but you can still start MMA in your late teens and make it to the top.

defensive wrestling/grappling are billion times easier than offensive wrestling/grappling.

combat sports talent pool in general is the biggest joke .. In other sports the B, C, D and E leagues are still pretty talented.
Alright I'm not sure if you even actually train MMA or martial arts to a decent level at least but there are so many things you have to know about MMA that it becomes so difficult to become good at everything.
I dont think it is easy at all for a regular person to start any MMA sport in their late teens and become elite, there are simply way too many people who have are training MMA or combat sports from a very young age and thats what you're seeing at the moment as the years evolve. Fighters talk about it, how todays up and comers are already so good compared to the previous generation. Point being the talent pool is only getting tougher as more people become aware of MMA and their understand of what works and what doesnt improves etc.

Back